Split modes by frequency (2.4/5GHz)

dbphillips
Aspirant

Split modes by frequency (2.4/5GHz)

I'm thinking this is an advanced (or ill-advised) configuration, so bear with me. :^D

I have an old Belkin N600 Play that I was using with Tomato as a bridge (2.4 GHz) and AP (5 GHz), connecting back to my R7500V2 router because Tomato lets you select interface function based on frequency. So, I had several wired devices and also wireless connecting through it, but it was kind of slow, so I figured I'd drop a second R750V2 in its place. The bridge seems to work okay, though the impact on Netgear Genie is rather draconian, graying out like half of the options. It is definitely faster as a bridge, which is nice, though it's a little surprising I get like 20-50 Mbps on a 100Mbps device. Seems it should be a lot faster, considering my GigE device gets like 250 Mbps. The wireless pipe is obviously up to the task. But all my wireless devices connect all the way back to my router, across the house.

I am running V1.0.3.4 on both routers. Does anyone know if there an option to split the frequencies on the R7500V2, or do I have to install third party firmware?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 3
dbphillips
Aspirant

Re: Split modes by frequency (2.4/5GHz)

Ohhh... It's wireless repeater mode I am looking for. I hear it was added to the R7000 firmware. How about the R7500?

Message 2 of 3
dbphillips
Aspirant

Re: Split modes by frequency (2.4/5GHz)

So, only solution thus far is to connect the N600 to the R7500 via Ethernet cable as an AP.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E