Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor

Start QoS Failed 12/2019

I'm unable to get QoS enabled on the Nighthawk R9000.  Firmware V1.0.5.2  I've tried by letting speedtest select bandwidth (speedtest sucessfuly provides results).  I've also tried manually entering bandwidth with number just less than the speedtest results.  Could there be a different setting on the router that I have enabled that is preventing this?  Is this firmware version problematic?  I have not yet reset the router back to defaults. Any advice, I just want to optimize the gaming envirnment.  

Thanks in advance

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Start QoS Failed 12/2019

To Add to the subject.  The performance optimization database has been automatically updated to the latest version. 

Version: netgear-detection-db-v1.64

Oct 23, 2019 Release date

I've researched and attempted to enable QoS for nearly 6 hours today with no luck. 

Message 2 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

Any help out there? 

Message 3 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

Same for me. "Start QoS failed. Please try again."

No chance to start Qos on R9000

Message 4 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

I am having the same issue.  QoS was setup and had been working for years, but stopped working in the last week and nothing works.  I have power cycled it, reset it with the button, reset it from within the web browser and I have now tried 3 different Firmware files both new and old to no avail.

Message 5 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

Thank you for chiming in.  Still no change for me, unable to start QoS.  It's unfortunate that it costs to receive support outside of limited days.  Higher end consumer routers are not cheap. It stings to need help only to find more money is being asked.  I get it though, their staff couldn't keep up with the demand if they opened their doors.  If there is anyone in the community that can help, i am grateful.  

Honestly though, I am only trying to enable QoS to see if it will priortize the PS4 traffic ensuring the best performance.  I wish I could try one of the boasted features of this router. 

Message 6 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

Quality of service appears to have failed for me too over the last few days. I frequently check traffic data in 'attached devices' but that feature has just suddenly stopped working. No changes have been made to the router. It has literally just stopped working. All device priorities of have been reset.

Running firmware 1.0.5.2. X10. R9000.

Message 7 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

See below screenshot. This can't be a coincidence that all of us are having the same problem at the same time.

Message 8 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

By chance, I tried to use my phone to activate QoS and... I was able to start it!

But  it doesn't really work: traffic data in attached devices section it's no longer showed and all device priorities have been reset.

So, 1.0.5.2 has broken QoS.

Message 9 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

When you say you used your phone, did you use the web browser or an app? I have tried using the browser through my phone and several other devices to no avail. I have also tried 3 other firmware versions other than 1.0.5.2 and none have worked. I am starting to wonder if there is an IP or server that QOS has to ping to for it to work and something is down or not working?? I tried starting QOS with no internet connection and no devices connected besides one wired PC and still get the error upon trying to start QOS. I have 7 people in the house with a lot of devices, not being able to control this has resulted in a nightmare for anyone trying to play video games.
Message 10 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

I simply used Edge on my Samsung S10 and I successfully started QoS.
By the way, QoS is ON but device priorites doesn't work.

Message 11 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

It has to be something at Netgear's server end. I'm not sure how to resolve this though, as support these days is terrible. I regret spending so much money on this router, it's been nothing but a headache.

This issue should have been identified, fixed and announced within hours. Now we're all stuck with an important function unable to even be turned on and no service rep monitoring these forums and working with the community to resolve. I will continue to experiment as above, but I'm tired of doing Netgear's job for them. 

Message 12 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

We also have the same problem.
Hope it wil be solved soon!

Message 13 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

I've tried a factory reset and every other thing I can possibly imagine, to no avail. Absolutely rely on this feature. 

Waiting for Netgear to respond to this thread and provide an update. I suggest everyone turns on reporting analytics for QoS and keep trying to start it. That way hopefully Netgear will see the errors, and the consistent nature of them, and wake up. 

Message 14 of 71
Highlighted

Same problem here, wonder if it has anything to do with the year 2020 - start of a new decade.

Message 15 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

I was thinking the very same thing. I considered buying a new router because this one has been a pain in my you know what, but I started wondering if this is truly 2020 related or server related, wouldn’t other routers also be impacted?
Message 16 of 71
Highlighted

Since the last Firmware Update to V1.0.5.8 several functions of the router stopped working. This is the highest end router Netgear made when I bought it. So, I expect better results and performance. If Netgear wants to lose market share, this is how to do it.

One of the major flaws now is that I can no longer edit and properly identify devices on the network. The router does not allow it, when before the update it did allow it. Obviously, code in the update is corrupted or flawed from the onset.

Secondly, I was using Quality of Service because my bandwidth is limited, and I have devices on the network that require high priority bandwidth over some other devices that can wait. Now, Quality of Service does not turn on. Every time I try to turn it on, it Fails.

This is an isssue that is not unique to my router, but appears to be widespread, thus strongly suggesting that the firmware is badly flawed or corrupted. With the dozens of complaints registered here, all complaining of the same router failure, one would believe that Netgear would notice and get busy fixing the issue. However, it appears that no one at Netgear is paying attention because I see zero responses from Netgear.

Even though I spent hundreds of dollars on this Netgear Nighthawk X10, I am looking at other brands of WiFi routers. I need equipment that works!

Message 17 of 71
Highlighted

Hi ColoNovelist,

Before upgrading to 1.0.5.8, I was running 1.0.4.34 and later 1.0.5.2 for my R9000, but the QoS would not work on all of the three versions of firmware. In fact, I upgraded to 1.0.5.2 to try to solve this problem, but apparently it didn't work. You said that it stopped working once upgraded to 1.0.5.8, but I think it's probably because you didn't notice that prior to upgrade, once the upgrade finished and you tried to see if all the settings remained normal, you finally noticed the QoS problem (pure guessing here, don't take it seriously). The main point that I'm trying to get is that I don't think it's a firmware issue, considering preious glory that Netgear has earned, including not renewing https Certificate for routerlogin.net on time, this might just be another thing they forgot on their calendar.

CPY

Message 18 of 71
Highlighted

The Quality of Service was working properly before the upgrade. After the upgrade it went off and will not turn back on. Also, I can no longer change device identity to correct identity on many devices. So, several functional aspects of the system have stopped working. And this seems not unique to my router but widespread. Anyway, do not expect help from Netgear. Time to look for another brand.

Message 19 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

Same exact issue everyone in the thread is having, litterally waiting on a fix for this issue. tried factory resetting as well as using old firmwares. 

Message 20 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

Just upgraded to v1.0.5.8 firmware, the probem with QoS still remains. It can not be enabled. 

It has been weeks, and still no response or fix from Netgear. 

Message 21 of 71
Highlighted
Tutor

Same

Message 22 of 71
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just got the X10 today. I'm a Gamer and my latency isn't good. I was hoping Netgears "Great QoS" features would help mitigae that, and now they don't even work?

Message 23 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

Two new firmware updates since this problem started, and still no fix or mention of a fix. Still waiting Netgear. Wake up!

Message 24 of 71
Highlighted
Apprentice

Yes, new firmware, no solution.

Message 25 of 71