Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Steps to Connect Nighthawk X6 R800 Router to DM200 Modem

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Steps to Connect Nighthawk X6 R800 Router to DM200 Modem

Hi there,

As the title says, I'm hoping to use the DM200 Modem with a Nighthawk X6 router on my Zen Internet (UK) VDSL connection.

Apologies if I sound dumb, but I've always made-do with the ISP supplied VDSL Modem/Router so I'm looking to clarify the steps to do this.

From what I've read, it appears I should set-up the DM200 in Modem-Only/Bridge Mode but not login to the ISP with it, and instead enter my login credentials into the Nighthawk for it to handle the authentication?

Would that mean it best to skip the Netgear Genie or set it up manually, set the VLAN ID and then turn on Modem Only mode? If so, are there any other settings I would need to set before switching to Modem Only as I believe once you do that, almost everything gets greyed out?

Thanks in advance.

Model: DM200|Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@antinode wrote:

> [...] Eventually figured out which setting hidden away in the Advanced
> menu needed changing to get it online.

Imagine how grateful some future reader with a similar problem will
be when she finds that precise, detailed description of how you solved
_your_ problem.

Probably about as grateful as I was that the help offered to me amounted to read the manual.

But hey, you're right - it's not the fault of some poor random individual who just wants to get rid of their Fritz!Box. So with that in mind, here we go...

Step 1) Plug in and setup modem. DM200 includes preconfigured setup for Zen Internet, although if you're worried about DLM being its usual jerky self, just bypass the config and set it up manually. This negates needing to reboot it. All the details needed to configure the modem are available in the Zen Customer Portal - you need to view the Detailed views under 'Your Services'. Your Username and Password are available there, and will also be in your welcome email.

Step 1a) When it asks for VLAN ID, put '101'.

Step 2) I cannot remember the name of the menu, but it's something like 'State' - hunt around, you can't break anything. Check 'Passthrough VLAN' before putting modem in Modem Only mode.

Step 2a) Forget ever seeing the Modem config screen ever again, since the IP address doesn't seem to work.

Step 3) Plug in Nighthawk. Connect it up using the fancy shielded ethernet cable provided. Ignore Netgear Genie, because it's useless and set up the connection manually by going into Internet and entering all your login details and the static IP Zen gives you. You don't need to set DNS, unless you want to use CloudFlare, Google or what have you.

Step 4) Head over to Advanced, click Advanced Setup and then VLAN/IPTV. Edit VLAN value to '101'. Make sure you enable VLAN again after editing the value because for some reason, it changes the value to disabled again once you've edited it. Not sure why such a vital setting to get online would be listed under Advanced rather than basic, but here we are.

You should then have Internet access. Huzzah!

Added QoL steps:

Step 5) Do the Firmware update before you do anything else, otherwise the router will start rebooting every time you try and download a file. I have no idea why it was doing that, but the FW update seems to have fixed this bout of tomfoolery.

Step 6) Assign wired devices a reserved IP address by going into Advanced -> Setup (NOT Setup Wizard) -> LAN and configuring it there. Failure to do so will mean anytime the router does reboot, the IP address will change and if you're running a media server or something like that, you're going to have a bad time if the IP keeps changing.

I think that about covers it all for Zen Internet at least. Can't say whether this would work with all over UK ISPs.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 16

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

This should be very straight forward. Check the documentation for the DM200 @ https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DM200.aspx#docs.

What I'd do is setup the DM200 first and ensure you are getting a Internet signal out of it to a wired PC. Then turn it of, connect the same cable to the R8000 and then turn the modem back on and then ther R8000. From there, follow the directions to set up the R8000.

Message 2 of 16

@IrvSp has it exactly right.

Set up DM200 in bridge mode, then add router.

Message 3 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It wasn't as straightforward as I'd liked but I have it working.

DM200 setup easily enough. Getting the Nighthawk to work was a pain. Eventually figured out which setting hidden away in the Advanced menu needed changing to get it online.

Message 4 of 16
antinode
Guru

_your_ problem.

Message 5 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@antinode wrote:

_your_ problem.

Probably about as grateful as I was that the help offered to me amounted to read the manual.

But hey, you're right - it's not the fault of some poor random individual who just wants to get rid of their Fritz!Box. So with that in mind, here we go...

Step 1) Plug in and setup modem. DM200 includes preconfigured setup for Zen Internet, although if you're worried about DLM being its usual jerky self, just bypass the config and set it up manually. This negates needing to reboot it. All the details needed to configure the modem are available in the Zen Customer Portal - you need to view the Detailed views under 'Your Services'. Your Username and Password are available there, and will also be in your welcome email.

Step 1a) When it asks for VLAN ID, put '101'.

Step 2) I cannot remember the name of the menu, but it's something like 'State' - hunt around, you can't break anything. Check 'Passthrough VLAN' before putting modem in Modem Only mode.

Step 2a) Forget ever seeing the Modem config screen ever again, since the IP address doesn't seem to work.

Step 3) Plug in Nighthawk. Connect it up using the fancy shielded ethernet cable provided. Ignore Netgear Genie, because it's useless and set up the connection manually by going into Internet and entering all your login details and the static IP Zen gives you. You don't need to set DNS, unless you want to use CloudFlare, Google or what have you.

Step 4) Head over to Advanced, click Advanced Setup and then VLAN/IPTV. Edit VLAN value to '101'. Make sure you enable VLAN again after editing the value because for some reason, it changes the value to disabled again once you've edited it. Not sure why such a vital setting to get online would be listed under Advanced rather than basic, but here we are.

You should then have Internet access. Huzzah!

Added QoL steps:

Step 5) Do the Firmware update before you do anything else, otherwise the router will start rebooting every time you try and download a file. I have no idea why it was doing that, but the FW update seems to have fixed this bout of tomfoolery.

Step 6) Assign wired devices a reserved IP address by going into Advanced -> Setup (NOT Setup Wizard) -> LAN and configuring it there. Failure to do so will mean anytime the router does reboot, the IP address will change and if you're running a media server or something like that, you're going to have a bad time if the IP keeps changing.

I think that about covers it all for Zen Internet at least. Can't say whether this would work with all over UK ISPs.

Message 6 of 16
IrvSp
Master

I'm sorry I offended you with my suggestion to look at the DM200 manaul. You DO know you put this into the Nighthawk Router Forum, not the CABLE MODEM FORUM where it should have probably been. You might have gotten better instructions there.

Never mentioned VLAN at all, not sure "Added QoL steps:" means, 'Quality of Life" or "OoS". QoS can slow you down, especially if the ISP speed is over 200Mbps.

As for Reserved Addresses, not always needed, depends on how you address the device, by its IP Address (then you need it) or the SHARE name, then you don't. This does depend on the DLNA client though.

Bottom line, you might have been better off in the proper forum. Secondly, a more detailed post of what your problem was, what you needed to do, and what you might have tried would have gotten you a better response probably.

Like you said, 'read the manual' was the way to go, and if you had done that and stated so it sure would have helped. It does seem though that did help you figure it out. No need to disparage.

Message 7 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@IrvSp wrote:

I'm sorry I offended you with my suggestion to look at the DM200 manaul. You DO know you put this into the Nighthawk Router Forum, not the CABLE MODEM FORUM where it should have probably been. You might have gotten better instructions there.

Never mentioned VLAN at all, not sure "Added QoL steps:" means, 'Quality of Life" or "OoS". QoS can slow you down, especially if the ISP speed is over 200Mbps.

As for Reserved Addresses, not always needed, depends on how you address the device, by its IP Address (then you need it) or the SHARE name, then you don't. This does depend on the DLNA client though.

Bottom line, you might have been better off in the proper forum. Secondly, a more detailed post of what your problem was, what you needed to do, and what you might have tried would have gotten you a better response probably.

Like you said, 'read the manual' was the way to go, and if you had done that and stated so it sure would have helped. It does seem though that did help you figure it out. No need to disparage.

I put it in the Nighthawk forum because, as the title indicates, I was looking for the steps to make the Nighthawk work with the DM200. It's a little bit tricky when you're dealing with two different pieces of kit you haven't bought yet (arrived this morning) to pick one forum. I went for Nighthawk because I figured I could get a modem working, but I wasn't sure if there were any special considerations to get the Nighthawk to work with it. And it turns out, yeah, there are - on both the modem and the Nighthawk side of things. It didn't seem unreasonable that someone with a Nighthawk would have the same setup.

If the response had been, "Yes, that would be the correct setup of the DM200 to use it with the Nighthawk. You will also need to input the VLAN ID into the Nighthawk in the Advanced Menu -> IPTV/VLAN to establish a connection" then that would have covered everything I needed for both pieces of kit to work together. I did mention VLAN ID in the opening post, too.

Not offended, though. I just didn't think the snark was warranted from the previous poster so I chose to respond in kind. I find manuals very limited in what support they can give you. Often, and in the case of both these products, manuals are full of pages and pages of information that are not particularly relevant to what you're trying to do, to the point that finding what you need is cumbersome. It is quite often a lot easier to say "Hey folks. Treat me like an idiot and walk me through this, please" - which again, is what the title is effectively asking.

But hey, with poking, prodding and trial and error I managed to get it working. So all's good, especially now its packed in its rebooting shenanigans.

Message 8 of 16
IrvSp
Master

@Retired_Member, although you did mention VLAN, it didn't mean much to me. I have my ISP's modem (only) and that is always where the first thing to check is. I've got no experience with Netgear modem/router combo's.

As it turned out, the DM200 was the correct thing to set up first.

Again, full disclosure in original post with details and any troubleshooting done ALWAYS helps. You are NOT alone not doing this by any means, nor selecting the wrong forum.

A long time ago Netgear shipped CD/DVD's with the Manuals on them and printed START documents. No more. Worse, they now put a sticker on telling you to use Netgear Genie (or Nighthawk) mobile apps. Bad choice, some people don't have wireless connections (Xbox, Kindle's, etc.) that can run those, and doing something wirelessly like UPDATING the firmware, can be problematic, as well as some features can only be modified using a web browser which IS not documented unless you know to find the manual on-line. Worse yet, people change the SSID name and/or password and they get disconnected and don't know what to do.

Message 9 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@IrvSp wrote:

@Retired_Member, although you did mention VLAN, it didn't mean much to me. I have my ISP's modem (only) and that is always where the first thing to check is. I've got no experience with Netgear modem/router combo's.

As it turned out, the DM200 was the correct thing to set up first.

Again, full disclosure in original post with details and any troubleshooting done ALWAYS helps. You are NOT alone not doing this by any means, nor selecting the wrong forum.

A long time ago Netgear shipped CD/DVD's with the Manuals on them and printed START documents. No more. Worse, they now put a sticker on telling you to use Netgear Genie (or Nighthawk) mobile apps. Bad choice, some people don't have wireless connections (Xbox, Kindle's, etc.) that can run those, and doing something wirelessly like UPDATING the firmware, can be problematic, as well as some features can only be modified using a web browser which IS not documented unless you know to find the manual on-line. Worse yet, people change the SSID name and/or password and they get disconnected and don't know what to do.

Ahh, OK. I hadn't actually got either piece of kit until today. I was asking primarily to get an idea of what I needed to do today to get going without much difficulty. I hadn't even planned to buy a new router, but I recently switched ISPs and while I'm used to ISP-provided routers being pretty bad, the router I was given was really poor. I also bought the DM200 because the ISP router doesn't even have a bridge/modem mode. To be fair, yeah, I probably should have said I wasn't troubleshooting anything - it was a preparation exercise.

The Nighthawk, now it is working, has fixed several issues I've been having since using the new ISP router, which is the important thing for me. I couldn't even use my Plex server with the ISP router. The server is wired to the router, but the content is delivered to Roku/Fire Stick over WiFi, and the signal was shocking. A 4000kbps bitrate 720p file buffered every couple of minutes. High bitrate 1080p wouldn't even start.

I checked the Nighthawk manual PDF and did a search for 'VLAN' and 'V-LAN' and it isn't mentioned anywhere in the PDF. Without setting the VLAN ID to 101 on the Nighthawk and enabling it, I can't get an Internet connection on the Nighthawk through the DM200, so the manual omits a rather crucial detail. It's far from the first manual I've come across that doesn't have everything you need, but it's partly why I'm more a 'ask first, refer to manual as last resort' kinda guy. Too often you could end up spending a whole day reading it, getting even more confused or trying things that exacerbate problems further. With tech, I think often manuals are designed for one country (usually the US), even if the products are sold worldwide so what works perfectly well in one region needs extra steps in another. Could well be the case here with the VLAN ID.

Anyway, it's all working and I apologise for my curt/sarcastic tone earlier.

Message 10 of 16
antinode
Guru

> Probably about as grateful as I was that the help offered to me
> amounted to read the manual.

Some people might believe that you have an obligation to put some
minimal effort into solving your own problems before asking for
volunteer help.

> [...] You DO know you put this into the Nighthawk Router Forum, not
> the CABLE MODEM FORUM where it should have probably been. [...]

Where's the "CABLE MODEM" in this tale of woe?

> It is quite often a lot easier to say "Hey folks. Treat me like an
> idiot and walk me through this, please" [...]

"a lot easier" for whom?  Do you expect someone to visit your home
and read the manual to you?  That might be nice, but expecting it seems
to me unreasonable.  Your opinion may differ, of course.

Message 11 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@antinode wrote:

> Probably about as grateful as I was that the help offered to me
> amounted to read the manual.

Some people might believe that you have an obligation to put some
minimal effort into solving your own problems before asking for
volunteer help.

Some people might also assume that posting on a forum isn't the first thing someone would do in order to get information they were looking for - especially as the most likely route to this forum is the very same service that one might use to do some research. And that service yields many threads across many forums about difficulties getting the two pieces of equipment to play nicely together.

It could even be suggested that had this someone not done any research at all, they wouldn't even know about VLAN ID's, Modem Only mode and such. It's almost as if someone might read a bunch of threads about this topic, try and work out why others had problems and then post to clarify that their research has led them to the correct solution.

"a lot easier" for whom?  Do you expect someone to visit your home
and read the manual to you?  That might be nice, but expecting it seems
to me unreasonable.  Your opinion may differ, of course.

Not at all. Heck, given the manual doesn't even contain the crucial piece of information needed to make things work, the idea of someone reading the document aloud would be as useless as an individual who replies to a thread needing no further response just to be a snarky little sod.

Message 12 of 16
IrvSp
Master

Hmm, looks like the OP is literally 'gone'?

All OP's posts now say "Retired_Member Not applicable"? Never saw this before? I guess you can't insult people who try to help you?

I was reviewing the thread to see if I did anything wrong or not, or if I missed something?

I did see VLAN and already said I saw that but it didn't mean anything to me?

Then I just noticed this bit in MSG #6, "All the details needed to configure the modem are available in the Zen Customer Portal - you need to view the Detailed views under 'Your Services'. Your Username and Password are available there, and will also be in your welcome email." So not only did the OP not look at the manual, nor post in the proper forum, he didn't read the info sent him?

Yet he gets upset that people that tried to help asked him to read some manuals as it should be easy, then comes back and states it is fixed and gets annoyed when asked what was done?

I should also add 'VLAN' appears 22 times in the User Manual PDF. OP stated this though, "I checked the Nighthawk manual PDF and did a search for 'VLAN' and 'V-LAN' and it isn't mentioned anywhere in the PDF." Not looking the R8000 manual but a different one?

Unbelievable!

Message 13 of 16

@IrvSp wrote:

Hmm, looks like the OP is literally 'gone'?

Unbelievable!

Indeed. Some people cause themselves a great deal of difficult by not approaching their problems logically, and by missing important details, even when asked for more information.

As to getting upset, you have to admit that, present company excepted, there are one or two "helpers" here who go out of their way to belittle anyone and everyone who turns up. Then there are those who are here mostly to tell everyone that Netgear is crap. Hardly a useful response for someone trying to mend a Netgear device.

There are, though, times when is can be frustrating, as when, as in another conversation, someone does not understand the difference between a LAN and WAN port.

As to retiring, most people turn up here seeking help. They don't want to hang around after they are up and running and just go away.

The snag there can be that they have broken the link to MyNetgear and stuff that goes with it. Doesn't  that go side by side when someone signs up for this Community these days? A lot of us oldsters joined before Netgear started to force that link. Perhaps it no longer applies. Netgear has certain tweaked stuff since the defenestration of the Arlo business.

Message 14 of 16
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward, all true, but by 'Gone' I meant physically gone. The original ID no longer EXISTS... The original OP was "Naibry". Now listed as 

'Retired_Member Not applicable'? No rating and that ID is no longer valid? You can close your account though, maybe OP did it, or it was done by an Administrator? OP did resort to name calling it seems, so maybe an Administrator did take action?

In any event, that ID is off the boards.

Message 15 of 16

@IrvSp wrote:

@michaelkenward, all true, but by 'Gone' I meant physically gone. The original ID no longer EXISTS... The original OP was "Naibry". Now listed as 

'Retired_Member Not applicable'? No rating and that ID is no longer valid? You can close your account though, maybe OP did it, or it was done by an Administrator?

I get all that.

You can, indeed, close your account in the Community.

You can close your account and remove your personal information from this site. After you close your account, you can't re-open it. If you later decide to re-join the community, you must re-register and start from scratch. Closing your account will immediately log you out.

I doubt if the Admins do that unless in clear cases of broken rules, like spam.

My point is that this may also close an account on MyNetgear. Do that and you can break things that matter.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7