Luminary

Storage permissions and free space issues for USB storage after V1.0.2.36 update

The drive connected is a 2TB hard drive formatted as NTFS.

Is anyone else having issues with USB storage on the router after moving to the V1.0.2.36 firmwware?]

Basically files over 2GB will throw this error after copying around 2GB of data.

This happens on both systems running windows 7 and windows 10, and started after updating to the latest firmware

Untitled-2.jpg

Before the error comes up, the file will look like it is copying just fine

Untitled-1.jpg

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
Luminary

Re: Storage permissions and free space issues for USB storage aster V1.0.2.36 update

Wanted to also add that copying a file that is just barely over 2GB in terms of allocated disk space to the storage, will result in the same error but the file will still be saved, though it will behave strangely with the permissions.

I can copy the file, cut and paste it into different folders, as well as rename it, but I cannot delete it as it will say that the file is in use, even if all other systems are disconnected, no system will be able to directly delete the file, as it will report that the file is in use.

Untitled-3.jpg

Message 2 of 17
Guru

Re: Storage permissions and free space issues for USB storage aster V1.0.2.36 update

> Is anyone else having issues with USB storage on the router after
> moving to the V1.0.2.36 firmwware?]

I know nothing, but reports suggest that approximately everyone is.
For example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/td-p/1387305

If the forum search feature were better than useless, then you might
be able to find such things easily yourself.  As things stand, the best
method which I've found is to use Google with "site:netgear.com" in the
query.

Message 3 of 17
Luminary

Thanks for the reply, I searched aroud for a whle but never found that thread. Hopefully netgear can fix the issue.

Message 4 of 17

@Razor512 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I searched aroud for a whle but never found that thread.

Use Google site search. It can give better results than the built-in engine.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 17

Re: Storage permissions and free space issues for USB storage after V1.0.2.36 update

Is this relevant?

Solved: Re: (R8000) Readyshare Printer v1.36 not working W... - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 17
Luminary

Re: Storage permissions and free space issues for USB storage after V1.0.2.36 update

No, the R8000 issue is relating to a printer issue and not a storage issue of the router not handling files larger than 2GB.

Other than that, it seems everyone on  V1.0.2.36 is havin the same storage issues.

Message 7 of 17

The message I linked to also mentioned USB storage.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 17
Luminary

The R8000 one was rated to a client side configuration issue, while the R7800 issue is related to an issue with the implementation of a new version of samba that did not exist on routers in 2015.
Overall from the other threads linked, the only solution is to downgrade to older firmware, or wait for Netgear to fix the issue.
Message 9 of 17
Luminary

Welcome to the club, sorry you were forced to join us...

We have been trying to get Netgear to fix this bug in the 1.0.2.36 R7800 firmware update for quite a while now. See my post below:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-firmware-update-1-0-2-36-broke-Network...

I have an open case number and have forwarded Netgear information that should make it an easy fix.

I'm at a loss of how to get Netgear to acknowledge this bug and fix it. Most of us have reverted back to R7800 firmware version 1.0.2.32 to keep our network drive functionality. We are not happy with having to use version 1.0.2.32 since there were security fixes in version 1.0.2.36 and now we are vulnerable to them.

I had to laugh when I read the "IoT Reaper - malware attacking NETGEAR devices" post today that stated:

“The most effective defense against this type of malware is to ensure that the software on your network connected products are up to date. We strongly recommend that customers visit the NETGEAR support site to check they have the latest update and to follow the instructions for upgrading the firmware/software of their NETGEAR products.“

Are you joking Netgear?

Firmware version 1.0.2.36 is the latest firmware available for the R7800, it was released over a month ago with a fatal bug in it that killed our network drives, and we are STILL waiting for a fix.

I really like the R7800 but I’m so sick and tired of waiting for Netgear to fix this bug that I’m thinking of selling my R7800 on Craigslist and replace it with a non-Netgear router...

Message 10 of 17
Luminary

I ended up installing the V1.0.2.38SF firmware from Voxel since he was able to fix that issue before releasing his regular updates.

Message 11 of 17
Luminary

Yes, the Voxel firmware is excellent.

The REAL question is why is it taking Netgear so long to fix this bug?

Message 12 of 17
Aspirant

I have the same issues  after upgrading to V1.0.2.36.

Is it safe installing the Voxel V1.0.2.38SF firmware?  Do I need to do anything after installing Voxel firmware, like restore factory settings on the router? Thanks.

Message 13 of 17
Luminary

When using the third-party firmware, you will have to factory reset the router as well as perform all needed set up manually.

From the info provided by voxel, config data from stock firmware will not be stable, thus you need to manually input all of your settings under the new firmware.

Beyond that, there is no need to factory reset is updating from one voxel firmware, to another.

One thing to keep in mind is that while the voxel firmware offers a higher read speed from attached storage, write speeds are about 50% slower.(hovering around 30-35MB/s), though that may improve in future versions.

Message 14 of 17
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response Razor512.  I just wish Netgear would come out with a fix by now and address the Krack vulnerability.

Message 15 of 17
Luminary

@springtraining wrote:

I have the same issues  after upgrading to V1.0.2.36.

Is it safe installing the Voxel V1.0.2.38SF firmware?  Do I need to do anything after installing Voxel firmware, like restore factory settings on the router? Thanks.

Since Netgear STILL has not fixed the bug, you only have 2 choices:

1) Use Voxel's 1.0.2.38SF firmware. You should reset to default settings and then set up again.

2) revert to Netgear version 1.0.2.32 firmware.

Voxel's firmware is safe to use and probably much more secure than Netgear's since he keeps as many packages as possible updated to the latest versions containing the latest bug and security fixes.

Message 16 of 17
Aspirant

Thanks rbird2.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements