Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Streaming Nightmare on R7000 Nighthawk

Kayo47
Aspirant

Streaming Nightmare on R7000 Nighthawk

When streaming movies on my Apple TV device or PS4 (Netflix, Prime, etc.) , after about 5 minutes I lose my internet fo about 90 secounds. Looking at the router the power led and the internetcable led are solid orange when this occurs.  Please help!!!!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Goug76
Tutor

I have had that same router for many years, it's a solid piece of hardware.  To help us help you can we have a little more information?

• When did this issue start?
  • What type of Internet do you have? DSL/Broadband
  • What speed package do you have from your ISP?
  • Do you have QoS enabled on the router?
  • Do you have Smart Connect enabled?  1 SSID for both bands
  • What channel are you connected to for the 2GHz and the 5GHz?
  • Under the Security/Block Sites do you have Keyword Blocking enabled?
  • Have you made any changes to the router settings prior to the issue?
  • How many devices do you have connected?

The more information you provide about an issue the faster the community can get you back up and running.

Here are some suggestions to help you.

1. If you have QoS enabled I would disable it (you still may have to do a hard reset).  I had lots of issues when enabling that feature.
  2. If your not using Smart Connect I would enable it. 
  3. If you have Keyword blocking enabled I would disable it.
  4. If you have a lot of device especially IoT devices, you may want to look into a new router.  When I started automating my house I noticed a huge degrade performance with the router.  While it is a solid router, it's getting up there in age.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router,R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 15

All Replies
Goug76
Tutor

I have had that same router for many years, it's a solid piece of hardware.  To help us help you can we have a little more information?

• When did this issue start?
  • What type of Internet do you have? DSL/Broadband
  • What speed package do you have from your ISP?
  • Do you have QoS enabled on the router?
  • Do you have Smart Connect enabled?  1 SSID for both bands
  • What channel are you connected to for the 2GHz and the 5GHz?
  • Under the Security/Block Sites do you have Keyword Blocking enabled?
  • Have you made any changes to the router settings prior to the issue?
  • How many devices do you have connected?

The more information you provide about an issue the faster the community can get you back up and running.

Here are some suggestions to help you.

1. If you have QoS enabled I would disable it (you still may have to do a hard reset).  I had lots of issues when enabling that feature.
  2. If your not using Smart Connect I would enable it. 
  3. If you have Keyword blocking enabled I would disable it.
  4. If you have a lot of device especially IoT devices, you may want to look into a new router.  When I started automating my house I noticed a huge degrade performance with the router.  While it is a solid router, it's getting up there in age.

I hope this helps.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router,R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 15
aabshire
Apprentice

I have been running mine just like that, No QoS, Smart Wifi Enabled, etc. and been running great unitl the latest firmware update. Once I installed that I started seeing issues with wifi (dropped connections, slowness, etc.)

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 15
Kayo47
Aspirant

Per your advice I disabled Qos and enabled Smart Connect. Thank you, it seems to be working fine now

Message 4 of 15
Kayo47
Aspirant

Allen,

Try reinstalling update as previously mentioned

Message 5 of 15
Goug76
Tutor

Great, I'm glad to hear it.
Message 6 of 15
Goug76
Tutor

Allen,
You were able to see that post? It disappeared on me. How did that go?
John
Message 7 of 15
aabshire
Apprentice

No I didn't see it
Message 8 of 15
aabshire
Apprentice

?? Not sure what you are talking about, previously mentioned post. I don't see anything about that
Message 9 of 15
Kayo47
Aspirant

Allen,

I must have seen it on another thread, however, the post said that a corrupted update may be causing your problem as the most current only addressed security issues. Go to the website, download the most current update and reinstall in advance by browsing to your saved location.

Keith

Message 10 of 15
aabshire
Apprentice

Gave it a try and now the same thing, very slow wifi and disconnects with Netflix almost immediately. Wifi speeds normally ran 50-70 at least and now 5.  This is crazy, I ahve stuck with netgear FW through the last FW nightmare working with support and testing & debuggin new FW to get a good FW out and now another update and back to disconnects and slowness again.

I know you stated that the updated only included security fixes but that is not necessarily true, at times the HW/chip vendors put in changes that are incorporated to Netgear updates behind the scenes that are not included in the change log that we the users see. So with this being the case you can never tell what the scope of changes are.

Message 11 of 15
Goug76
Tutor

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues.  After installing the update have you tried resetting your router?  If that doesn't work you can try rolling back to the last known working update.  You can find the older version on the Netgear site.

Message 12 of 15
Goug76
Tutor

alternatively you have other options if your wiling to look into them.  That model was a very popular and powerful router.  You can look into a custom aftermarket firmware upgrade.  With a custom upgrade you can unlock the full potential of the router and add tons of new features.  The two most popular are DD-WRT and Tomato (YouTube has tons of how tons on both).  DD-WRT is gear towards the tech savvy and Tomato is a bit more user friendly.  Both are great alternatives.  Please do your research and follow all directions carefully as failure to do could brick you router and getting it on un-brick takes a little skill.  I had Advanced Tomato running on it and it ran great.  Due to some new features that Netgear released (Disney Circle) I went back to the Netgear firmware, but I have been toying with getting it up and running again just to run all of my home automations on so their not clogging up my main router.

I have never had any issues with this router, it has always just worked great.  Now my new Router R8000P not so much.  I am working with Netgear to iron out all of the bugs.

Message 13 of 15
Kayo47
Aspirant

Happy to report I'm now streaming blissfully, but I can't help wondering what purpose Qos serves if it bolluxes up streaming???

Keith

Message 14 of 15
Kayo47
Aspirant

Well the bliss faded and the reboots returned.  Replaced with R7800 and now no more problems (for now) also ordered a switching power supply (5A) for the R7000 and we'll see if the PS was the problem with that as there were many on other forums that mentioned that large downloads (streaming?) caused simmilar rebooting problems. Many thanks to all who tried to help.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7