Sudden loss of WiFi on devices

Seteva
Aspirant

Sudden loss of WiFi on devices

Hopefully short and simple. I have an R8500 that has had no issues. Starting yesterday I could not connect on all my devices that previously have always been connected (TV, phone, shield, etc). If I take one device offline, sometimes I can connect another, but then can’t reconnect the one I took off. My wired devices are fine. I reset the router, and tried all over. Then I upgraded the firmware to V1.0.2.130, same results. I use the 2.4 and 5 for various devices, and have tried switching them all. It’s almost like it’s kicking devices off for too many, but I’ve added nothing lately. I think I have 14 devices showing connected between all 3 ranges (the 2.4 and both the 5ghz’s). It’s always been this way. So right now my TV, shield, security system are not connected, but my phones and Xbox are, for example. What could be causing this? Also my TV says connected to network, but no internet available. So it’s connected but not
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
Seteva
Aspirant

Re: Sudden loss of WiFi on devices

Also, my router was set up as AP, so I turned that off to see if that was the problem. Same results, so I turned it back on. Basically I cannot connect a device unless I unconnect one. I had my security system connected last night, but then reset my router and I guess in the order of things my TV then reconnected but my security would not. It's hit and miss. All my fire sticks are connected, my phones/ipads are connected, my hue bridge and alexa's are connected at this time. But my xbox, nvidia shield, security system, and TV are not. Previously I was always able to have all devices connected at once. I see the SSID when I search for wifi, and it will even "connect" but it will not get on the internet. 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 14

@Seteva wrote:

Also, my router was set up as AP.... 

Why? What is the modem in front of the R8500?

As a basic first step, have you rebooted the whole network?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 14
Seteva
Aspirant

My modem is spectrums  piece (Technicolor. I did have an arris until last week from them). I have disabled the wifi on theirs (dual modem/router). Yes, I rebooted the entire network, shut down all wired devices, erased network settings on the wireless devices, then rebooted everything back up. I am not sure if I waited between modem and router, but I can sure try that again. 

Message 4 of 14

If it is a crap modem, they usually are when they come from an ISP, have you looked into turning it into modem only mode? It might make life easier. As it is you are throwing away a lot of the features of the R8500.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You did remember to put the R8500 back into AP mode after playing around with things? That's the sort of mistake I make.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 14
Seteva
Aspirant

The modem from Spectrum is in modem only mode. And I did put mine back in AP mode after testing out that part. It just baffles me how it started happening like this. For example yesterday my phones were all on the wifi. Today they are not, but my TV is back on. 

Message 6 of 14
Seteva
Aspirant

Should I keep it out of AP mode? Right now I just have the wifi disabled on the Technicolor. I did not put it in Bridge mode. I did just disable everything in the house and connect it all as suggested earlier. I'm wondering if this is something with the technicolor, as I just got it last week. I may not have noticed all the devices not being connected for a few days. 

Message 7 of 14

@Seteva wrote:

Should I keep it out of AP mode? 

If the modem really is on modem-only mode, as stated in your earlier message, and the R8500 is an AP mode, then you do not have a router on your network.

But disabling the wifi in the modem/router does not put it into modem only modem. It is just a router with the wifi turned off.

@Seteva wrote:

I did not put it in Bridge mode.

The problem with that is that "bridge mode" could mean several things. In this context, "bridge mode" and "modem only" mode are the same thing. Something in bridge mode is in modem only mode.

You could help by telling people the model number if this Technicolor modem. I suspect that this could be one of several devices.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 14
Seteva
Aspirant

Gotcha. My Arris was so much easier! I started out putting this Technicolor TC8717T just disabling the WiFi on it and on my nighthawk R8500 I put that in AP mode. Earlier today, I put the TC in Bridge mode and disabled the DHCP on it. Then I took the R8500 out of AP. Is that the right way to do that? I started doubting myself and reset both router and modem so now I’m just sitting here twiddling my thumbs. When I first put the TC on bridge mode I got frustrated because my computer (which was still hard wired to the TC modem) was not getting a connection. That’s when I said screw it and reset them both. That’s where I’m at now. I would appreciate any advice cause I really feel it might be a setting issue since I got that new modem. I never had issues with my bridged Arris with the nighthawk
Message 9 of 14
Seteva
Aspirant

I am now back to these settings: TC modem is on and I have WiFi disabled on it. Nothing else. I changed no other settings (did factory reset). Nighthawk is in router mode (not Ap). Half my devices will connect and the other half won’t. Did a factory reset on this one as well.
Message 10 of 14

I am now a little confused over where we are. Things keep changing at your end.

Here's what I have done in the past:

• Put modem/router into modem only (bridged) mode
  • Reset router
  • Turn off and unplug the modem.

• Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Then troubleshoot anything that doesn't work. For example, if wifi devices won't connect, tell them to forget past connections to the network and set up the local wifi on them again.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 14
Seteva
Aspirant

That's my fault, I kept trying things and wanted to get back to where I was. So now my settings are back to where they were when I started the conversation, except I am no longer in AP mode. My modem was reset, and the only settings I changed on it were to disable the wifi. I reset the Nighthawk and have the wifi broadcasting from it. Most of my devices are connected, still have a couple hold outs. I am also going to try to factory reset those devices to see if that helps. But that may just be a temporary fix. I did try to bridge the modem last night, but when I did, any device I had hard wired to the modem kept going in and out (therefore preventing me from being able to get back into the modem settings from a computer hard wired to modem). Before I perform your test above, those devices should still be able to stay hard wired, correct? And when I am turning off the computers and such, should I disconnect any device that IS connected to wifi? So I'll try the below after I find out about the wired devices. 

Message 12 of 14

I'm afraid that's as far as I can take it.

I explained what I would do. You have decided yo use a different arrangement.

In that case, you are in unfamiliar territory as far as I am concerned. Good luck.

By the way, you said earlier:

I've got the user manual,it came with the extender...

I find that surprising. It is a long time since Netgear shipped full manuals. They normally include just the Quick Start guide. I put the link to the full manual into my first reply.

Oh, and embedded images, unlike attached files, take time to arrive here. A Netgear minder has to approve them.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 14
Seteva
Aspirant

Oh no, I'm sorry, I must have stated it wrong. I had reset everything last night. But I am still going to give your suggestion a go. That's my next step. I was just letting you know where I was at before I started that process. I've got everything disconnected from wifi now, and as soon as I get done working (I work from home so can't be messing with the internet just yet), I'll be following your instructions to see if that resolves things. I just thought you wanted to know where I was at right now as far as my settings and such. So I was saying I had reset everything to default and was going to start over. 

BTW That comment you copied earlier, I didn't make that comment? About the extender and manual? I don't see that on anyone else's responses, so maybe from another thread? Smiley Happy 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E