× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Initiate

Suddenly Very Slow Speeds on my Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800 Router

Yesterday for no apparent reason my paid internet speed of 200 Mbps suddenly dropped to 50 Mbps at computer  (Both Wired & Wifi Connections) at all three computers.    Checking directly at internet modem speed was 245 Mbps using using speed test by OOKLA.   I checked this by unpluging the Cat 5 to the router,  and using a new cat 5 cable plugged directly into modem to my laptop computer.  So my ISP is providing speed above their stated speed which is 200 Mbps.   Using the router Speed check that it uses for setting up QOS  it also showed speed of the internet at 245 Mbps.  (QOS is not enabled)  I have made no changes to the router settings,  yet using OOKLA Speed test  after connecting back to the router is only 50 Mbps WIFI connection,  and the two Desktops that are Hard Wired to the router with Cat 5 cables, their speed is also only 50 Mbps.   I have no idea where to start checking to resolve this problem.   Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I am using the latest firmware.   I updated it today to see if that resolved the problem it did not.  Upload spees have remained the same at 10 Mbps.  Seems like only the download speeds have an issue.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: Suddenly Very Slow Speeds on my Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800 Router

I just noticed that when doing a speed test on my laptop,  that the speed goes over 200 for a few seconds then slows down to around 50-60 Mbps.   Is their a setting in the router that is causing this?   I have not made any changes or is the router malfunctioning?

@mrjoker wrote:

Yesterday for no apparent reason my paid internet speed of 200 Mbps suddenly dropped to 50 Mbps at computer  (Both Wired & Wifi Connections) at all three computers.    Checking directly at internet modem speed was 245 Mbps using using speed test by OOKLA.   I checked this by unpluging the Cat 5 to the router,  and using a new cat 5 cable plugged directly into modem to my laptop computer.  So my ISP is providing speed above their stated speed which is 200 Mbps.   Using the router Speed check that it uses for setting up QOS  it also showed speed of the internet at 245 Mbps.  (QOS is not enabled)  I have made no changes to the router settings,  yet using OOKLA Speed test  after connecting back to the router is only 50 Mbps WIFI connection,  and the two Desktops that are Hard Wired to the router with Cat 5 cables, their speed is also only 50 Mbps.   I have no idea where to start checking to resolve this problem.   Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I am using the latest firmware.   I updated it today to see if that resolved the problem it did not.  Upload spees have remained the same at 10 Mbps.  Seems like only the download speeds have an issue.

Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

What modem is it specifically that you're using? (model)

What firmware number are you on? (not the latest, a number)

Are you using the ookla app for testing? 

Have you tried any other speedtesting sites (dslreports.org/etc.)

Make sure speedtesting is done over hardwired. wireless can be variable and be on the device you're testing on. so accurate speedtesting is done over the wired connection. 

CM1100->RAX200->GS716v2->RBR50->RBS50-RBS40V-RBS50Y
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Tutor

I have the same problem: fast download speed (300Mbps) when connected directly to the modem, good speed (200-250 Mbps) when tested on the router, slow (20-60 Mbps) when tested on a computer or phone connected to the router (Ethernet or Wi-Fi). Seems the router slows the trafic by a factor of 5 ... 

Router internal test:

Latest test result (10:04 Apr 29, 2020)
DOWNLOAD UPLOAD
236.58 Mbps 11.18Mbps

My PC over Ethernet:

PING ms: 27
DOWNLOAD Mbps: 51.08
UPLOAD Mbps: 10.50

Router Firmware Version: V1.0.2.68

QoS: Off

Service provider: Comcast

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I too am having issues with mine.  I am supposed to get speeds up to 1g.  And when I direct line from my wall into my laptop I get about that.  If I direct line from the wall into this router then direct line into my tower or laptop, I get a speed decrease to about 550-650 range.  I am trying to figure stuff out.  Been switching cords around and restarding devices left and right.  Even got a speed test to run right away on start up with the computer at around 900 at one point through all of this which has me now going through software and firewalls that I may have common between my tower and a laptop.  I use the laptop to test wifi and wired connections and my tower just the wired connections.  Its been fun...  Any help would be appreciated.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

@CapoWaya @Romus Please don't thread jump. If you're having issues, start your own thread so we can specifically address your setup. 

You're more than welcome to read through posts and try what's been tried for others but if you're wanting help specific to you, start your own thread. 

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

@Guru Ok understood, but can you provide a solution.  I pay for 1gig and through direct ethernet connection I get about that.  Through your router I get right now about 600 direct line and about 25mbps wifi on 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  I mean, would be cool so I dont have to return this thing and just get one from another company, eh?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

@CapoWaya 

1. If you want help Start your own thread.

2. I don't own netgear. I'm not an employee of netgear. the community forums are members of the public helping out. In absolutely NO WAY is it "my router". 

Message 8 of 8