Suddenly very high ping and inconsistent speeds

EckimusPrime
Aspirant

Suddenly very high ping and inconsistent speeds

So I downloaded the newest firmware a couple days ago and was really happy at first. Download and upload speeds were improved and overall connectivity seemed better. Now today all of a sudden my download speed is cut in half and my ping on my Xbox One is really high, around 160 when it's typically not higher than 20. I have checked to see if anyone else is operating on my 5ghz channel and my router is the only one in the neighborhood on that channel so I don't know what it could be. Any recommendations? My PC has a decreased download speed but it's "acceptable", just inconsistent, no increase in the ping though. I don't get what the problem could be.
Message 1 of 6
fordem
Mentor

Re: Suddenly very high ping and inconsistent speeds

Talking about upload/download speeds & ping times without specifying the other end of the transfer are meaningless - you could be pinging a server next door, in which case a 160 msec response is a problem, or, it could be on the other end of a satellite link in which case 160 msec would be very, very good (satellite links tend to run upwards of 600 msec), You just have not provided enough detail for us to assist in any way.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 6
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Are these two devices connected to 5Ghz? How about 2.4Ghz and wired connections?
Message 3 of 6
EckimusPrime
Aspirant

I unfortunately cannot test out the wired connection, if I could I would be using that. I haven't tried the 2.4GHz channel but I believe I tried the 1st 5GHz channel and it didn't give me the same issue. I will retry it later tonight. I just don't understand what the issue could be. My PC is now fine, tests a really solid download and upload speed and a 12 ping but my xbox gets good download and upload while it can get a 20 ping on one test and then a ping of 150-160 on the next test. The download and upload are consistent now. My pc and xbox one are both on the same 2nd 5GHz channel so it just doesnt make sense that it would only be the Xbox doing it. It even has 100% wireless signal. And on top of all this only my pc and my xbox one are attached to that wireless band/signal.
Message 4 of 6
EckimusPrime
Aspirant

Well I am definitely feeling like it is 100% Microsoft or Comcast at this point.
Message 5 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It may help if we knew what you are pinging, if it’s a globally available server that many people use then ping responses could well be erratic depending on the level of activity at the server, and many servers will treat ping as a relatively low priority task.

There are also other local issues that could have a similar effect, interference from non-networking 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz devices can be quite a problem, and these devices will not show up in a typical network scan, e.g. video senders or baby monitors, there are 2.4GHz and 5GHz variants. If this was the cause of your issue though, I would expect it to impact on all your WiFi devices equally.
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements