Re: Support Scam

unhappyng
Initiate

I was scammed today too when called to ask why I am not able to upgrade firmware through app. They told me that my network was compromised and must install firewall software by buying 3,5 years or lifetime service ranging from $250-1200. When my IT friend investigated there was no compromise. Now I am finding out other people went through this scam also. They went in to my computers and I am afraid I may be compromised now. WHY IS NETGEAR NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS SCAM ? If there is any netgear personnel reading this, please REPLY !

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 51 of 89
antinode
Guru

> [...] WHY IS NETGEAR NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS SCAM ? [...]

Perhaps because Netgear had nothing to do with it?

> I was scammed today too when called to ask why I am not able to
> upgrade firmware through app. They told me [...]

"called" _whom_?  Who are "They"?

Did you read the previous postings in this thread?

Message 52 of 89

@unhappyng wrote:

WHY IS NETGEAR NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS SCAM ?

Out of interest, what do you think Netgear should, or can, do about this?

@unhappyng wrote:

If there is any netgear personnel reading this, please REPLY !

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Arlo techies.

If you want direct contact with Arlo, try the various channels in the Contact Us link below.

Do not run a websearch and call the numbers that come up. They won't be Netgear.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 53 of 89
van17
Aspirant

I wish I had seen these posts sooner.  I too got scammed.  I have put a stop payment on the pending charge but can someone please tell me what I should do to get whatever they have attached to my Mac computer?  I feel so stupid and I'm so worried that they now have all of my information.  I did give them access to control my computer.  Now what do I do to repair whatever damage they may have caused?  Please anyone who knows what I should do let me know ASAP so no further damage is done.  Can you tell I'm in panic mode????

Message 54 of 89

@van17 wrote:

I did give them access to control my computer.  Now what do I do to repair whatever damage they may have caused?  Please anyone who knows what I should do let me know ASAP so no further damage is done.  Can you tell I'm in panic mode????

Your best bet would be to visit a site that supports Mac users.

This isn't really anything to do with network devices, let alone Netgear. The same thing can happen to anyone who uses a Mac PC. So the solution for removing one infection will apply others.

In the case of a Windows PC I'd recommend rolling back your installation to a previous saved setting from before this intervention. I have no idea if that feature exists on Macs.

First step has to be to keep your eye on your bank account.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 55 of 89
WWover
Aspirant

I had a similar problem. I was connecting my new Netgear extender.  I had a lot of problems getting Netgear Genie downloaded, I believe they  redirected that site to theirs, with a telephone number to help. I called.  I thought it was Netgear at first and then I understood it was somebody else but they got into my computer and router.  I did everything they told me to even though I didn't think it was really quite right.

The result is they got into my router and my computer! I have reinstalled windows. and thinking about buying a new router and extender. it will not be a Netgear. Changing all passwords.  

Model: EX3920|AC750 WiFi Range Extenders
Message 56 of 89

@WWover wrote:

.. thinking about buying a new router and extender. it will not be a Netgear. Changing all passwords.  

Before you make the jump, check that the brand you opt for is not subject to the same scam. Most makers of network kit use a similar approach to setting them up. (Been there, done that.) Scammers aren't picky about who they will attack, they will intercept web searches and mistyped URLs regardless.

Any brand with a decent customer base is likely to be on their hit list.It is true that the bigger brand get more attention, which is why Microsoft has more trouble than Apple. It is the user base as much as anything that attracts them. Apple has grown in popularity in some circles it has gathered its own coterie of crooks.

So, visit the support sites for your chosen brand and see if they have been hit. Sadly, few brands have as much user activity as you will find here. Of course, now that you know that this chicanery goes on, you probably wouldn't fall into that trap again.

Just another user.

Message 57 of 89
ArdmoreJoe
Aspirant

This scam almost happened to me. Long story short...I had phone issues and lost the NightHawk app on my phone. After reinstalling, I could not logon due to forgotten PW. The app would let me reset PW, but mostly because of the particular steps I was doing. Anyway, I called NetGear for support. Once I connected with a tech, I allowed him access to my computer. I questioned why all this to reset my password and explained that this was company protocol and he would be able to tell me the cause of the problem. He identified all these errors and and attempted to scare me that these are threats to computer security. He suggested I allow the 2nd level tech to resolve the issues. It then sounded like a sales pitch for various packages. I quit at that point. He had given me his direct contact information a little earlier (this I think is for his commission, legal and/or victim comforting). I quit because this all sounded so familiar to me when I fell victim to a another company's virus product service contract scheme. Almost step by step, these guys followed the same M.O. My virus product experience was not only bad because I paid big dollars for this service, but shortly afterwards, my mother board failed. I suspect it was something that they did while making the updates that took hours to perform. BTW, I later was able to reset my PW of NightHawk app quite easily with different finger action/steps.  

Message 58 of 89

@ArdmoreJoe wrote:

Anyway, I called NetGear for support.

I doubt it. If you read all of the messages in this discussion, they are mostly from people who thought that they had called Netgear when they had actually phoned a number that they found with a web search. (Sound familiar?)

Your account suggests that this is what happened to you.

@ArdmoreJoe wrote:

BTW, I later was able to reset my PW of NightHawk app quite easily with different finger action/steps.  

It is called "reading the manual".

Any official Netgear support would start with that and how to go about that basic task.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

Message 59 of 89
JDnet20
Aspirant

I had a similar experience last month. I think it’s a shame that netgear has been notified of these scammers and has not protected its customers. Decided to google netgear scams as I’ve been having some challenges with my internet connection lately. Now not only did I loose money but my internet & smart devices are probably now really compromised.
Message 60 of 89

@JDnet20 wrote:
I had a similar experience last month. I think it’s a shame that netgear has been notified of these scammers and has not protected its customers.

Out of interest, how do you expect Netgear to protect its customers from scammers who set up fake support sites?

I'm sure that Netgear will step in of someone steals its intellectual property, logos and stuff. (It has responded to previous reports of that.) But what else can it do?

Sadly, there isn't much that it can do to stop its customers from doing silly things. The scammers operate on the basis that there is "one born every minute".

Just another user.

Message 61 of 89
radavenib1234
Aspirant

There is support scam and once you google it for issues with Orbi then it will publish bunch of websites with different 1-800- numbers, if you call one of them then it will route to some country to share the screen with fixme.com asking all the information. they will sell firewall for $280-350 and scam guys shows some Command prompt with 240 devices connected to network and they will demand money for cleaning up devices as well as another $250 for software firewall. Netgear has to take it seriously and block these kind of companies supporting scams formally. 

Netgear has to do better job in google ranking so that orbi will come up with official websites than scam websites upfront.  

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 62 of 89
radavenib1234
Aspirant

DO not pay anything for installing firewall or clean up

Message 63 of 89
antinode
Guru

> [...] Netgear has to take it seriously and block these kind of
> companies supporting scams formally.

And how, exactly, do you propose that they do that?  When last I
checked, Netgear did not control the WWW (or the Internet, in general).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

Centuries-old wisdom is not all made obsolete by modern technology.
Quite the opposite, in some cases.

Message 64 of 89
Megifog
Aspirant

After updating my MR60 Nighthawk Mesh WIFI 6 router it completely shut down. I tried rebooting it as well as my modem multiple times but the router wouldn't show up on my network again. The tech that I spoke with connected remotely with my computer via awesun and said that my network had malware on it and that it "fried" the router!? How did this just "happen" to occur while uploading new firmware?? He then told me that the router & mesh set was under warrantee and I would be able to return it to Costco but the second set that I had purchased to use as a bridge for my system would only be safe if a "level 5 tech cleaned up the malware and junk on my network and installed a firewall" which of course had a fee of $299.99 but he was pushing me to cover it for at least 3 years for $699.99!!! He claimed that my families laptops, tablets, and printers wouldn't be safe using the network without the service being performed and not to connect any of our devices to it. How could the 2nd set be corrupt if it had never been used?? Both 3 piece mesh sets combined only cost $500 so that whole thing seemed super sketchy!!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 65 of 89

@Megifog wrote:

After updating my MR60 Nighthawk Mesh WIFI 6 router it completely shut down. I tried rebooting it as well as my modem multiple times but the router wouldn't show up on my network again. The tech that I spoke with connected remotely with my computer via awesun and said that my network had malware on it and that it "fried" the router!? How did this just "happen" to occur while uploading new firmware??

Oh dear. Another one fooled by a web search?

If this  was  telephone number that you found with a web search IT WASN'T NETGEAR. There are too many scam sites out there that try to look like Netgear but in reality are dodgy operations that can damage your network and your bank balance.

I hope you didn't part with any money. Do check that your computer hasn't been infected with something nasty and that they haven't emptied your bank account.

There is no phone support for Netgear. You do it via the support portal:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

First you have to register your device to confirm that it is eligible for the 90-days free support. Start here:

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

After 90 days, Netgear does not provide paid support. It farms that out to GearHead.

GearHead Support

Or you can try to sort it out here. That costs you nothing.

If you have any details for this scammer, it would be good to pass them on to Netgear. Then perhaps it might do something about it.

Just another user.

Message 66 of 89
Megifog
Aspirant

Dear “Just another user”, It’s good to know NOW that Netgear doesn’t have phone support but with my router down and no internet service I had no way of accessing the portal that you mentioned!!
I apparently live far from a cell tower because I only get one bar on my cell phone at home, which is why I’m one of the few Americans who still has a land line. Netgear HAS to be aware of all the scams associated with their products, all they have to do is look at this community page!! In my opinion, it would be a responsible move to boldly state on their website that”NETGEAR DOES NOT CURRENTLY OFFER PHONE SUPPORT; ANY PHONE NUMBERS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ONLINE ARE FRAUDULENT AND COULD RESULT IN CRIMINAL ACTIVITY COMMITTED AGAINST YOU.” Lack of adequate warning aside, what kind of company produces and sells equipment designed to link households to the internet, yet only offers consumer assistance via the internet? Doesn’t it make complete sense that if a person’s internet router fails to work, they would have an inability to get on the internet?? I will never be purchasing or suggesting the purchase of a netgear product again.
Model: EX7300v2|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 67 of 89

@Megifog wrote:
Netgear HAS to be aware of all the scams associated with their products, all they have to do is look at this community page!! In my opinion, it would be a responsible move to boldly state on their website that”NETGEAR DOES NOT CURRENTLY OFFER PHONE SUPPORT; ANY PHONE NUMBERS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ONLINE ARE FRAUDULENT AND COULD RESULT IN CRIMINAL ACTIVITY COMMITTED AGAINST YOU.”

Good idea. Sadly, Google does nothing to block criminals who hitch a ride on its search engine when someone tries to find "Netgear support".

Google just wants the ad revenue, which is why banks, government agencies, and anyone else out there ends up with hijacked customers.

The best thing we can hope for is better informed customers who can see through these scams.

In the meantime, reporting dodgy sites to Netgear would be a good start. (I've done that a couple of times. But I bet they are still out there.) Maybe Netgear should offer a reward to anyone who points them in the right direction.

Just another user.

Message 68 of 89
antinode
Guru

> [...] with my router down and no internet service I had no way of
> accessing the portal that you mentioned!!

"no way"?  How, exactly, did you obtain the phone number of "The tech
that I spoke with", if you had no Internet service?  Yellow pages?

> [...] MR60 [...] router [...] my modem [...]

If the router fails, connect a computer directly to your
(unspecified) "my modem"?

> [...] Doesn't it make complete sense that if a person's internet
> router fails to work, they would have an inability to get on the
> internet?? [...]

Not really.  Many people these days have more than one possible
Internet connection.  Mobile telephones are often useful that way.
Friends or public libraries can help.  Some businesses offer "free
Wi-Fi" to visitors.  As usual, many things are possible.  How does
anyone ever get a car repaired if it can't be driven to a service
provider?

> [...] I will never be purchasing [...]

Your choice.  Some other makers of similar equipment apparently do
offer phone support.  The first two which I checked (support.dlink.com,
linksys.com) provided a toll-free number with a warning about COVID-19
slowing service.  How you'd find those numbers without any Internet
service remains a mystery.

Not every mistake you might make is someone else's fault.

> [...] reporting dodgy sites to Netgear would be a good start. (I've
> done that a couple of times. But I bet they are still out there.)

So, not very productive, then, was it?  What, exactly, do you expect
Netgear to do about those "dodgy sites"?

Message 69 of 89
Hornet12
Aspirant

A rather sparky reply from Netgear, eh?
I suspect most of us first went to the Netgear site for some good old-fashioned customer and, having found nothing but marketing content, then went browsing on the internet to find someone who could help.
BTW - thanks for the recommendations of other companies. That's the best customer support I've seen yet from Netgear.
Message 70 of 89
antinode
Guru

> A rather sparky reply from Netgear, eh?

"from Netgear"?  I see no Netgear logo ([N]) by my user name.  For
good reason.

> [...] I suspect most of us first went to the Netgear site for some
> good old-fashioned customer and, having found nothing but marketing
> content, then went browsing on the internet to find someone who could
> help.

When I visit "the Netgear site", I see many links to:
"http[s]://support.netgear.com/" and/or
"https://www.netgear.com/support/".  Or was the "Contact Us" link at
"https://www.netgear.com/" too well hidden?

> BTW - thanks for the recommendations [...]

As my mama told me, "You better shop around."

> [...] That's the best customer support I've seen yet from Netgear.

Sigh.  Yet another person who apparently can't distinguish between
Netgear and not-Netgear.  It's discernment like that that led to most of
the problems reported in this (mostly stale, overlong) thread.

Message 71 of 89
Hornet12
Aspirant

Sigh...
Message 72 of 89
mob4260
Aspirant

Ran into same issue.  Have an RBW30 that no longer initializes. They said the firmware was corrupted from an update. They wanted to sell me an 2 yr extended warranty and they would fix the issue. They were going to push firmware to the satellite.....which I thought funny since the device is offline, no wired connection, won't power up!  He said don't worry, he can fix it and wanted me to install a remote agent so he could control my computer..... I ended the session.  Very shady...

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 73 of 89

@mob4260 wrote:

..... I ended the session.  Very shady...

Well spotted. Good move.

Got any links or stuff that we can pass on to Netgear in a (possibly futile) attempt to get them to pursue these crooks?

Just another user.

Message 74 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about any RBW30 support information or problems in the Orbi AC forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

NG wil NEVER ask you to install any remote control apps. 

Thank you. 

@mob4260 wrote:

Ran into same issue.  Have an RBW30 that no longer initializes. They said the firmware was corrupted from an update. They wanted to sell me an 2 yr extended warranty and they would fix the issue. They were going to push firmware to the satellite.....which I thought funny since the device is offline, no wired connection, won't power up!  He said don't worry, he can fix it and wanted me to install a remote agent so he could control my computer..... I ended the session.  Very shady...

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBRE960(v.85) and R8500(v.158) Router Mode | Switches NG GS105/8 | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 75 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E