• 32 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Initiate

Support Scam

Is support a scam?  I was having problems with my router and called support.  I was assigned Frank/Eddie (heavy Indian accents) at Computer Services CA.  I asked for help with security issues, and adding NordVPN to my router.  I was talked out of adding Nord and instead was sold a "firewall" with a yearly fee attached.  I was also talked out of Norton saying it is too "heavy" and computer will be faster with Webroot.  For the call and the webrrot and firewall I was charged $330.00.  I felt real funny about the experience so I started making calls back to the company.  I was told I could not get a refund for the webroot (ewhen they clearly say you can on their website) and I could not get an invoice number (which I need for webroot refund).  I asked a rep from the company today to show me where the firewall lives and he could not.  Why Netgear aligns with questionable companies is beyond me...any similar experiences?  And how do I get a refund?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 33
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Support Scam

Where did you contact support? This link is the place to contact Netgear support.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 2 of 33
Highlighted
Initiate

Thx Darren...that is the link I used.

Message 3 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yeah you got totally conned there especally as routers normally have a basic firewall built into them, the rest is handled by a software based one on your pc, and whats worse its totally different and has nothing to do with the Vpn service which you was after,  to top it off webroot is £23 a year and most likely has a firewall built into it, i suggest calling your bank/card company and reversing that transaction, what they did was fraud.

Message 4 of 33
Highlighted
Master

This doesn't add up?

@Banjoplyr wrote:

Is support a scam?  I was having problems with my router and called support.  I was assigned Frank/Eddie (heavy Indian accents) at Computer Services CA. 

How did you actually make the contact? No listing for that company either. You can't directly call NG support either? If you actually followed @DarrenM's link, what link did you take on that page? Did it look like what my screen capture looks like on the upper left link?

Quite possible you got re-directed to a 3rd party 'support' or you actually Googled for it and went to it?

Good suggestion to call the credit card company, but it might not help, they might not be able to do much as you agreed to purchase the items. Worth a try though.

Message 5 of 33
Highlighted

Who did you call? If it was one of those sites found with a web search, then there is a high probability that it has nothing to do with Netgear.

Many of those listing are from third-party sites that pay to appear in the search engines. They then create sites that "borrow" the Netgear logo.

Those sites will also appear if you search for other makes of hardware. Using them can be dangerous.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Netgear's support is limited to 90 days. You get that by registering your device and starting the process on the MyNetgear site.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

I called for technical help with my Netgear AC750 wifi range extender on a support number provided on the Netgear site.  I had an important documentary that I made on homelessness that was on YouTube, that I was to show to interested parties. I was not getting wireless coverage on my television. When I contacted the support line, they said they could help me if I agreed to a support contract for 5 years for $399.99. I felt I was under duress by the person on the line who said I needed this contract. When I called  for support, the number was cancelled. Based on my conversation with my credit card company, this is a common scam. I tried to contact Netgear regarding this and could only get help if I paid for an extended warranty!!! My range extender still doesn't work. 

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 7 of 33
Highlighted

@roddydc5 wrote:

I called for technical help with my Netgear AC750 wifi range extender on a support number provided on the Netgear site. 

Can you provide a link to this? (The Netgear website is famous for not having phone numbers for support.) If you do have a  number, then Netgear should chase it down and find these crooks.

@roddydc5 wrote:

I tried to contact Netgear regarding this and could only get help if I paid for an extended warranty!!!

You should not need to pay for extended support to report a scam. The police might be a better bet. As the saying goes, there is one born every minute.

@roddydc5 wrote:

My range extender still doesn't work. 

Try this place. It is free.

While it may be tempting to shout at Netgear, you can't really hold it responsible for crooks and what they get up to.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 33
Highlighted

I too ran into something similar.  I needed help setting up my wireless router.  I went to Netgear/support link and called.  The representative some will call me in 5 to 15 minutes.  I about 5 minutes I received a call from Deevak a person with Indian accent.  He went through the precess of showing me how falable my system was and that he could make save by monitoring for different amount of time and money.  I went for the $400.  He went through a lot of showing me what was wrong.  All the while I was thinking I've never heard of anything like this before.  I should have said something but didn't.  I was thinking about my previous routers and how I set them up my self with instruction from the manufacturer.  Anyway the warranty document if not copied right away to your computer dissappear and you can get them again.  I eventually took the router offline and put my old one back on.  I felt safer about that because he had access to the whole process of setting it up and I knew nothing of what he could be or had done while we set this router up.  This is all in regards to "NIGHTHAWK X6S, AC3600. Tri-Band Wifi Router.  I don't understand how NetGear can have you go the support link and endup having someone there put you in touch with people like this.  It's now in the hands of the Credit Card Company.    

Message 9 of 33
Highlighted

@uncleronald81om wrote:

I don't understand how NetGear can have you go the support link and endup having someone there put you in touch with people like this.  It's now in the hands of the Credit Card Company.    

I very much doubt if Netgear had anything to do with this.

You say:

@uncleronald81om wrote:

I went to Netgear/support link and called. 

You can't call Netgear support. So who did you call?

If a web search had anything to do with it, the word scam is almost certainly appropriate.

Any support from Netgear's associated outfit comes nowhere near the $400 mark.

GearHead Support

The top whack is $229.99 for two years.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 33
Highlighted

I went to the support link and was asked if I wanted to speak to someone.  I might have mis-spoken about calling when it should have been led to believe I was messaging Netgear. When this happens you automatically think it's alright you're talking to someone from Netgear.  I'm guessing now that someone hacked that link to send you to a different sight.  I don't think that we should have to determine wether this is legimate or not.  Netgear so be monitoring their internet pages so things like this don't happen if they want people to feel safe and come back to buy their products.  So now I will question everything.

Message 11 of 33
Highlighted
Master

@uncleronald81om wrote:

I went to the support link and was asked if I wanted to speak to someone.  I might have mis-spoken about calling when it should have been led to believe I was messaging Netgear. When this happens you automatically think it's alright you're talking to someone from Netgear.  I'm guessing now that someone hacked that link to send you to a different sight.  I don't think that we should have to determine wether this is legimate or not.  Netgear so be monitoring their internet pages so things like this don't happen if they want people to feel safe and come back to buy their products.  So now I will question everything.

I'm sorry you got into this. To me, and I guess others, you seem sure you have 'spoken to' Netgear Support. As mentioned by others, you can NOT call them. The process is to create a CASE via MY SUPPORT. Then if the WANT, they will arrange a call for you.

If you Googled (or used another search engine) for 'netgear support phone number' you WILL find many. Many of course are 3rd party though, and will provide support for a price (higher than Netgear's which, in the US, is free for 90 days from purchase). Some are also pure scam's, and may actually put some questionable code/programs on your PC if you allow them to connect.

As for "I'm guessing now that someone hacked that link to send you to a different sight.", well, PLEASE post that link? I for one wouldn't know how Netgear would know the site was hacked unless someone told them. This is a USER to USER forum essentially with some Netgear Moderator's on it. They may not see your message, but if they did, I'm sure they ask for the same information, so what web page URL did you use and what phone number did you call?

It would help us ALL out knowing this, if nothing more, so 'we' could alert Netgear if indeed it was one of the pages they own.

For reference, this is the link you should have started with, https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx and on that page "Get help on my NETGEAR product" is what you click on to get started.

Message 12 of 33
Highlighted

@uncleronald81om wrote:

I went to the support link and was asked if I wanted to speak to someone.

What was that link?

Sorry to be a bit dense, but there are millions, if not billions, of links. Without knowng which one you used we are all left guessing.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

100% just almost got scammed myself. Same deal, I was searching problems and went to the below site, very official looking: orbilogincom./orbi-router/how-to-fix-no-internet-connection-issue-on-orbi-wifi-system/

DO NOT USE THIS SITE! I was pinged and told someone would call me back within 5-15 minutes. He did so, requested control so he could evaluate the settings and find the problem which I feel so stupid for giving him. After pulling up some settings and reports he advised me that foreign access has been causing me problems and that for $100 they would block it. I said this sounds like a scam and explained. He hung up and disconnected remot access. But he got my gateway password!

1) Any suggestions for how to resolve ongoing concerns with the remote access I gave him?

2) How can we protect others in the future? At least he didn't get my money but I'm a reasonably cautious user.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 33
Highlighted

@Fungi wrote:

1) Any suggestions for how to resolve ongoing concerns with the remote access I gave him?

First run as many "safety scans" as you can lay hands on to see if they planted anything nasty on your system.

@Fungi wrote:

2) How can we protect others in the future? At least he didn't get my money but I'm a reasonably cautious user.

There's not much anyone can do beyond reporting those sites to people at Netgear so that it can try to bring them down.

Perhaps one of the Netgear moderators can pass this on. Over to @Christian_R, @ChristineT or @DexterJB.

Apart from that it is down to better education. But when there are people on this planet who believe that disinfectant injections can stave off coronavirus there will always be a few who fall for these scams.

Congratulations on spotting this before they damaged your bank balance.

Just another user.

Message 15 of 33
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Fungi,

Thank you for posting your experience. We can assure you that this is not an authorized NETGEAR support channel. The information will be forwarded to the necessary teams. To ensure you are in contact with our Support Team, please use the following link.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx 

Christian 

Message 16 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

My condolences. It's a nightmare, isn't it? 

I was taken just as bad. See my post "Instead of fixing 2 serous problems on my new RAX80 they stole my data and corrupted my PC!(serous should have been serious) 

I hope Netgear posts here and and provides an e-mail address where to sent my detailed write-up I did for the Police. They should be concerned given it is either a bad employee at their Gearhead company or an outside party can incercept calls/sms' or whatever method is used to comunicate with other employees during this time where everyone works from their house rather than a companies office.

What did you use to check your PC afterwards and any idea if this person could have also at the same time infected two other PC's which may or may not have been on-line at the same time?  I'm rather a novice when it comes to network issues. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 17 of 33
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Wi-Ko

I have escalated your issue and you should be contacted by our team in the next couple days to work on the issue you are having.

DarrenM

Message 18 of 33
Highlighted
Initiate

I had the same thing happen to me. I got connected through an online chat connection that said she would have to refer me to tech. support.

I initially was just trying to login to my router to check some settings.

Eddie took over my computer and showed me all these IP addresses that had acess to my computer and said that was my problem.

I felt a little uncomfortable the whole thing. But I thought I was chatting with Netgear and they had just outsourced their tech support.

My initial problem has not been solved either. I paid Eddie from Computer Services $249.00 for 2 year support contract.

Now if I report this to my bank for fraud is Eddie going to hack my computer and do some real damage?

Message 19 of 33
Highlighted

@Kevronm wrote:

I felt a little uncomfortable the whole thing. But I thought I was chatting with Netgear and they had just outsourced their tech support.

If you called a number you found with a web search, it almost certainly had nothing to do with Netgear.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Web searches can deliver results that scream "Netgear support" at the top but that turn out to be anything but. Using them can be dangerous, for your network and your bank balance.

As a new buyer you can initiate a support call through MyNetgear.

If you login to mynetgear, can you see your router there?

MyNETGEAR | Login

If so, that is where to ask for support.

As it is, if you have details of who you called pass them on to Netgear and it may be able to do something about these crooks.

Just another user.

Message 20 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

please Darren i have similar problem. i talked with a technician who said that i needed to install eqosoft system (150usd) to protect my wifi extender. now i fear that he can control my pc ( as he entered in it somehow) . if he downloaded something on my pc and others pc connected to my wifi ..how can i delete it and keep my pc safe? 

thank you 

Message 21 of 33
Highlighted

@francesco22f wrote:

if he downloaded something on my pc and others pc connected to my wifi ..how can i delete it and keep my pc safe? 

Netgear technicians would never suggest installing eqosoft. So they aren't the best people to help you.

As this had nothing to do with Netgear, it may take some time to reply. You need to act quickly. You might do better to turn to a web search for help.

Just another user.

Message 22 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks fr your advise. i reset my modem and put new id and password. is now my pc safe from their control?

Message 23 of 33
Highlighted

@francesco22f wrote:

Thanks fr your advise. i reset my modem and put new id and password. is now my pc safe from their control?

Who knows? Did you install eqosoft?

I'm afraid I canlt understand your previous message.

Take thbis bit:

now i fear that he can control my pc ( as he entered in it somehow) . if he downloaded something on my pc and others pc connected to my wifi ..how can i delete it and keep my pc safe?

How did he enter it?

What did he download to your PC?

Just another user.

Message 24 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

Boy asked me to access by remote control in my pc for fix my wifi extender . He said that my modem was under attack so said me to pay for eqosoft system. Now i reset my modem and changed id and psw. How can i control if he downloaded in my pc any spy system ? Please help me
Thanks
Message 25 of 33