Support of jumbo frames ?

patlecrack
Follower

Support of jumbo frames ?

Hello,
I own a private network (Ethernet connexion) with a desktop and 2 NAS Netgear: a ReadyNAS NV+ and a ReadyNAS Duo. The keystone of this network was, until yesterday, a netgear wndr3700 router. In order to have an optimal transfer speed between my desktop and the two NAS, I had to activate the jumbo frame. This allowed me to download, at all time, at a speed of 20 Mb/s.
Today the only thing I’ve done was to change the 3700 by the r7000. I haven’t changed anything else to the network. Still, I have a download problem with both NAS: I don’t exceed 1,5 Mb/s (instead of 20!).
Is there something to configure in the r7000? Or is the r7000 not compatible with jumbo frame?
I only speak about wired network (not wireless).
If I disable jumbo frame within the configuration of both NAS, speed goes up to 14 Mb/s. It is better but not as fast as before.
Thanks for your help.
Sorry for my poor English
Message 1 of 7
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: Support of jumbo frames ?

You might want to look at DD-WRT as a firmware for you router. It has a lot of configuration options and may give you large frames. I don't run it yet so I am not sure it supports large frames.
Message 2 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You might also look into a good switch for jumbo frame if you are using desktop computer on wired too if DD-WRT don't have it's feature
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a r6300v2 dual core running dual core test FW it does not play well when using jumbo frames either. Using GS108 throughput is 118Mbps using router it's 50mbps
Message 4 of 7
madhatter
Apprentice

I think the real question is, why did the transfer speed drop when the r7000 was put in place of the wndr3700?

There is a similar issue in the r6300 forum: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=89784
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 5 of 7
madhatter
Apprentice

I only run 2 network cables into my r6300 (or any router for that matter). The first is the Modem to Router cable. The second is a Switch (GS-108) to Router.

Now, I have 5 intermediate switches handling 49 devices that come into the the GS-108 by one way or another.

This way, all of the local traffic is handled by the switches and the only thing the Router has to concern itself with is handing out IP's and internet access.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 6 of 7
Bob_K
Aspirant

madhatter wrote:
I only run 2 network cables into my r6300 (or any router for that matter). The first is the Modem to Router cable. The second is a Switch (GS-108) to Router.

Now, I have 5 intermediate switches handling 49 devices that come into the the GS-108 by one way or another.

This way, all of the local traffic is handled by the switches and the only thing the Router has to concern itself with is handing out IP's and internet access.

Genius! I struggled for days trying to get jumbo frame support on my WNDR3700 so that I could communicate with my ReadyNAS Ultra 4. I loaded DD-WRT on the WNDR3700 only to find that it does not support jumbo frames. Read your post, installed a D-Link DGS-1005G GigE switch and had jumbo frames in 5 minutes. It increased my write speeds to the NAS by 30 MBps.

Bottom line: If you want jumbo frames, bypass the LAN switch in the WNDR3700 and use an aftermarket switch.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements