Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch Use and maximizing performance

PPMACK
Aspirant

Switch Use and maximizing performance

Hi.  I am a novice at network setup.  I currently have a Netgear CM2050V modem connected to a Nighthawk AX12 RAX200 router in my home.  Speeds are around 600Mbps.  

I ran a Cat 5 cable via underground conduit to my garage and inlaw apartment.  I have a Netgear GS108 unmanaged switch in the garage with is connected to two PoE security cameras and one Nighthawk R9000 router in the apartment.  Speeds in the apartment are quite a bit slower and the cameras drop off line from time to time.

Can anyone tell me if I need a managed switch and how to configure the modem and both routers for maximum performance?  I have the AX12 RAX200 router plug into the 2.5G/1G port going to the switch in the garage.  The modem indicates 2.5 Gig traffic and the RAX200 port to the garage indicates 1 Gig traffic, but the R9000 router is operating slow.  

Any ideas?  Thanks for any advice.

Pete

Message 1 of 7

@PPMACK wrote:

I ran a Cat 5 cable via underground conduit to my garage and inlaw apartment. 

How far?

@PPMACK wrote:

Can anyone tell me if I need a managed switch and how to configure the modem and both routers for maximum performance? 

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Message 2 of 7
PPMACK
Aspirant

The cat 5 cable runs about 35 feet underground from the house to the garage. The house is stone and doesn’t allow the wifi signal to reach the garage apartment.
Message 3 of 7

35 feet is no distance. Well within the standards. So it should work.

Message 4 of 7
PPMACK
Aspirant

I read the article about double NAT. Very interesting.

I do not have an ISP modem/router. Using all my own equipment. Netherworld CM2050V modem and Nighthawk RAX200 router in the house. The in-law apartment 35 feet away has a Nighthawk X10 R9000 router. Any problems with this setup? I also have a GS108 switch connecting both routers via an Ethernet cable.
Message 5 of 7
microchip8
Master

@PPMACK wrote:
I read the article about double NAT. Very interesting.

I do not have an ISP modem/router. Using all my own equipment. Netherworld CM2050V modem and Nighthawk RAX200 router in the house. The in-law apartment 35 feet away has a Nighthawk X10 R9000 router. Any problems with this setup? I also have a GS108 switch connecting both routers via an Ethernet cable.

If one of the routers is not set as an Access Point (AP) you're still in a double NAT situation, regardless of how you connect them with eachothers

Message 6 of 7

@PPMACK wrote:

The in-law apartment 35 feet away has a Nighthawk X10 R9000 router. Any problems with this setup?

Yes. As @microchip8 says the same thing applies. That is why I mentioned it. Your description screamed out trouble.

It doesn't matter what the network has at the front end. It is the dual router thing that causes confusion.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7