Re: Switch off 2.4GHz network on R6700 Nighthawk?

tdkehoe
Aspirant

Switch off 2.4GHz network on R6700 Nighthawk?

Is it possible to switch off the 2.4GHz network on my R6700 Nighthawk? Looking at the "Attached Devices" screen all the devices are on the 5GHz network. I've read that the 2.4GHz band is crowded, if no devices are using it we might as well shut it off and reduce interference and EMF pollution. I have both networks reduced to 25% transmit power.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

There is support for the R6700, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See the section Enable or Disable the Wireless Radios.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 14
tdkehoe
Aspirant

Thanks, the manual you suggested was for the R6700v1 (2014). I found the manual for the R6700v3 (2018):

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6700v3/R6700v3_UM_EN.pdf

However, neither manual matches the www.routerlogin.net control panel. Both manuals say that to look in "ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings," and then check/uncheck "Enable Wireless Router Radio" check box to switch the WiFi radio on/off. My "ADVANCED > Setup > Wireless Setup" control panel doesn't have "Enable Wireless Router Radio" check boxes. My control panel also lacks "ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > LED Control Settings" to switch off the lights, as discussed in the manual. Is there another control panel that I can download, with these advanced features? My control panel looks like this:

Message 3 of 14
tdkehoe
Aspirant

My ADVANCED Wireless Settings control panel.

Message 4 of 14

@tdkehoe wrote:

Thanks, the manual you suggested was for the R6700v1 (2014).

That's the one you listed in your footer, in the text and in the subject.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

You seem to have edited that out of the screen grab.

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 14
tdkehoe
Aspirant

Sorry about not capturing that firmware version. It says V1.0.2.66_10.0.48. I'll attach a screenshot.

Also, when I enter R6700v3 in the field "Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers" it doesn't recognize R6700v3.

Message 6 of 14

@tdkehoe wrote:

Sorry about not capturing that firmware version. It says V1.0.2.66_10.0.48. I'll attach a screenshot.

Seems to be the latest. So they have either taken that feature out or moved it somewhere else.

@tdkehoe wrote:

Also, when I enter R6700v3 in the field "Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers" it doesn't recognize R6700v3.

Netgear does a poor job of keeping its own database up to date, which is why it helps to include it in the text and/or subject.

You could see if any of the various Netgear apps – Android or desktop – retains this control.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 14
tdkehoe
Aspirant

Is it possible to download and install an older version of the firmware? If the v3 manual shows advanced features then the hardware should have these features. Or is it possible to change settings from the command line, without using the control panels?

I looked through the iOS app, it doesn't have any advanced settings.

Message 8 of 14

@tdkehoe wrote:

Is it possible to download and install an older version of the firmware?

I did think of that. No harm in trying.

There is support for the R6700V3, including a manual and old firmware, at the end of this link:

>>>R6700V3 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

The release notes tell you how to apply old firmware. Settings should stick when you upgrade. But be warned that one move to fix things is to factory reset, which would wipe out your "2.4 Ghz off" switch.

Did you look into the Netgear Genie to see what it can do?

I do wonder, though, if it is worth the effort. Unless you live in a dense wifi area with neighbours who see your wireless as interference it hardly seems worth the effort.

Many new IoT devices use 2.4 GHz. They want the range it delivers.You never know when you might want it.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 14
tdkehoe
Aspirant

Thanks, I have a neighbor who is sensitive to EMF. Reducing transmit power to 25mW was the main thing. Switching to a single frequency band is secondary.

Message 10 of 14
tdkehoe
Aspirant

Apple's App Store says that Netgear Genie is available only for iOS devices, which I tried. It doesn't show an OSX version.

Message 11 of 14

@tdkehoe wrote:

Thanks, I have a neighbor who is sensitive to EMF.

Give them some tinfoil. Or send them to a trick cyclist.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 14
tdkehoe
Aspirant

I already bought her a cap from LessEMF.com. She loves it, she's now able to work and do stuff without headaches.

Message 13 of 14
tdkehoe
Aspirant

There's a solution! Aluminum foil over the 2.4 GHz antenna would do the same as disabling that network. And electrical tape over the lights would do the same as disabling the LEDs from the control panel. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E