Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The 2.4mhz band onmy R8500 keeps disconnecting every 3-4 days

MikioBear
Tutor

The 2.4mhz band onmy R8500 keeps disconnecting every 3-4 days

Recently the wifi signal of my Nighthawk R8500 turns off every 3-4 days. Usually it's just the 2.4mhz band but sometings both 2.4mhz and 5mhz turn off. The router lights stay on and are white.

To reconnect I turn the router off then on using the back button.Then it goes through configuation then reconnects and all is good for another 3-4 days. After that if does it again and this going on for the past 3 weeks or so.

Currently my router is set using Smart Connect. I switched over to this about 4 months ago. But I never had a problem with Smart Connect or without.

I have Not added any new devices and although Windows 10 has updated a couople of times in the past 6 months there was never any issues after the updates were installed. In fact, I have never had any problem with ths roiuter until recently and so suddenly out of the blue.

So does anyone out there have an idea why this might be happening? What I can do to test to determine whether the problem is the router? or the laptop?

Thanks

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: The 2.4mhz band onmy R8500 keeps disconnecting every 3-4 days

Does it happen if you disable smart connect? 

Message 2 of 12
MikioBear
Tutor

Although the router did Not disconnect when I switched ion Smart Connect, I guess I can try that and see what happens.

Message 3 of 12
MikioBear
Tutor

Yes it shut down tonight after I disconnected the Smart Connect this past Sunday. So the signal stayed connected a little over 3 days until shutting down again. What's different than last time is that when I restarted my laptop it reconnected to 5mhz band but the 2.4mhz didn't even appear on the wifi list. So again I amout of ideas.

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

did you ever try a factory reset and reinstall?

Message 5 of 12
MikioBear
Tutor

I did Not do a factory reset or uninstall/reinstall.

I pressed the black button on the back Or I unplugged it and plugged back in the wall.

So I don't hvae to look it up, how do I perform a factory reset?

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

Push and hold reset for 7-15 second while it's powered on
Message 7 of 12
MikioBear
Tutor

I'll give it a try and watch it for the next 3-5 days.

Message 8 of 12
MikioBear
Tutor

4 days after my 2.4mhz band disconnected. I tried using the Auto feature in the Channel selection. So now my only step is to do a factory reset. I'm hessitating to do so because I will probably need to pair all of my devices over again.  This all seemed to happen a few days after my laptop updated somedthing in Windows 10.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

If you use the same ssid during install, you shouldn't need to re-pair your devices. I frequently swap routers and just use the same ssid for them all. All my devices have auto-reconnected. 

Message 10 of 12
MikioBear
Tutor

SSo I removed one of the apps that I was using to manage my 9 HD WiFi secutiry cameras. I was using the app with IE11, which was the only app that would display all of the camera management functions. That app had been acting up for the past few months.

Since removing this app I have had no connectivity problems with my WiFi. So, I think the cause of my connectivity issues with my router was caused by this app.

If it starts acting up again I will reach out to all of you again.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Message 11 of 12
MikioBear
Tutor

The router signal disappeared One time since May 2021 and after I removed an app that I suspectewd was causing it. So, not nearly as bad as when I first created this post but it still did it last week. So, what's causing it has not yet been fully identified.

Next, I will hard Reset it but I hope that I dont have to do this. I fear the router will loose an memory of the 13 seciruty cameras that are connect now. But we will see.

Thanks All !

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7