Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The Curse of WIX

Boomzilla
Aspirant

The Curse of WIX

CBR-750 - Mac mini - Big Sur 11.1

I installed my new cable modem / router / wireless hub yesterday, and now I have some horrible POS called "WIX" installed on my machine.  It doesn't show up in my Applications folder - only in Safari.  I want this OFF my machine, and I want it off WITHOUT having to go to their website and create an account.

This happened yesterday, when I installed my new Netgear modem, and I never deliberately gave any permission that I know of for it to be installed.

Why did Netgear install this garbage on my machine?  If I'd known that this would happen, I'd have bought another brand.

Any assistance in removing this would be appreciated.  I'm still in shock over it - I pay THAT much for a premium Netgear product, and in thanks they install garbage!  Really?

Message 1 of 5
Boomzilla
Aspirant

Re: The Curse of WIX

Lo and behold - Netgear - the scum that keeps on giving - has also infected my system with something called "Armor" (some kind of nannyware that I don't want or need).  I understand that Netgear has coded this into the firmware and although I may disable it, it will keep returning every time the modem is rebooted?  I'm STRONGLY thinking of just boxing up and returning this whole thing and never, Never, NEVER buying another Netgear product again.

I paid $400 for THIS?

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Wix has nothing to do with netgear. it might have been a coincidence that it showed up but there's no affiliation. 

Yes, armor does but its disabled. 

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Very unlikely Netgear does install some links to what I guess is the Web App for WIX (that's the do-it-yoursefl online Web page maker tool, isn't it?).

Also, strongly doubt there is any kind of enforcement installing the opitonal Netgear Armor software on any client system. 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@schumaku That's my understanding of wix as well. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7