Re: The Netgear UP app doesn't measure my gigabit connection correctly.

cdysthe
Luminary

The Netgear UP app doesn't measure my gigabit connection correctly.

Hi,

I resently got my connection upgraded to 1 gigabit but could not get speeds even close to the 950 Mbps I got when hooked up to the modem directly. I factory resat the router and dsiabled all features. Still slow. 

I used the Netgear UP app to measure the speed assuming it would give me the most accurate result, but it turns out that isn't the case. I never got more than 400 Mbps and most often around 250 Mpbs.

I finally decided to measure the good old way by connection to the router directly and then testing the speed. I then go 950 Mbps. It seems like the UP app isn't able to be used to test connection speeds above 500 Mbps. I can't find aything that indicates that the app is limited in this regard, but I am now getting close to the same speed on the router as I get from the modem while the UP app still insistis my speed is around 300 Mbps.

Anyone know if this is a limitation in the UP app, or have I misunderstood how the app works or is supposed to work?

//CD
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Are you sure you aren't simply hitting the limits of your device's Wi-Fi hardware? Most, if not all, smartphones are not capable of hitting a full Gigabit.
Message 2 of 11
cdysthe
Luminary

The UP app is supposed to measure speed of the routers Internet connection. It's not a speed test for my phone's Wi-Fi connection. I am fully aware that a phone can't reach gigabit speed over Wi-Fi. So yes, I'm sure the issue here isn't related to the speed of my Wi-Fi connection. There are many apps available for such tests, but UP should test the speed of the modem to router throughput.
//CD
Message 3 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Ok, I don't know how the UP app works.

Assuming that the router is running its own speed test, it's still not going to be accurate. Packets destined to the router take a different code path than packets transiting through the router. Your measurement the good old way, presumably with a wired PC, will yield the best results.
Message 4 of 11
cdysthe
Luminary

If that's the case that reservation should be included with the UP app and the speed test built into the QoS interface in the firmware. The latter is used to set the parameters for QoS.
//CD
Message 5 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Well, you shouldn't be using QoS with Gigabit speed Internet. The router can't perform QoS at that speed. The manual states to turn it off at speeds above 200 Mbps.
Message 6 of 11
cdysthe
Luminary

@ItTheEther wrote:
Well, you shouldn't be using QoS with Gigabit speed Internet. The router can't perform QoS at that speed. The manual states to turn it off at speeds above 200 Mbps.

I am NOT using QoS at all. The router was factory reset and nothing enabled. I am just saying it's the same speed test (from Ookla) used for QoS as in the UP app.  So it's not good for people who ARE using QoS which settings is based on a speed test that doesn't seem to be accurate. 

I know exactly how this works as far as the router goes. The problem is that the speed test in the UP app doesn't measure the speed correctly. 

//CD
Message 7 of 11
Doug_Ho
Apprentice

After you say you reset to defaults, I assume the router was restarted (I think that is required to re-enable the Cut-Through Forwarding).  Did you also turn off UPnP in router or disconnect any devices in your household which might be trying to use UPnP?  I don't have gigabit so cannot be certain, but I believe that port forwarding on router may disable CTF and that if UPnP is enabled (probably a default) then some of your devices (XBox?) might be using UPnP to enable port forwarding.

Regarding the specific speed test, perhaps it is not able to ever able to achieve that speed on certain routers without fastest processors.  So I might trust results from your wired PC if they end up being faster (assuming you are able to take care of whatever seems to be disabling CTF).

Note: you might want to specify your router model, in case such info helps someone verify that it can approach gigabit with default CTF.

Message 8 of 11
cdysthe
Luminary

@Doug_Ho wrote:

After you say you reset to defaults, I assume the router was restarted (I think that is required to re-enable the Cut-Through Forwarding).  Did you also turn off UPnP in router or disconnect any devices in your household which might be trying to use UPnP?  I don't have gigabit so cannot be certain, but I believe that port forwarding on router may disable CTF and that if UPnP is enabled (probably a default) then some of your devices (XBox?) might be using UPnP to enable port forwarding.

Regarding the specific speed test, perhaps it is not able to ever able to achieve that speed on certain routers without fastest processors.  So I might trust results from your wired PC if they end up being faster (assuming you are able to take care of whatever seems to be disabling CTF).

Note: you might want to specify your router model, in case such info helps someone verify that it can approach gigabit with default CTF.

If you read my initial post in this thread is not about my gigabit connection problems. That issue is now solved in another thread and with Netgear support. So this is not about my router but about the UP app which doesn't give the correct speed. Again, with the UP app I was told my modem - router speed was between 250 - 350 Mbps.  It was not, When i finally hooked up to the router directly and measured from my lapop. I got 950 Mpbs. What I wanted to get across in this thread is that the UP app isn't accurate. And that is also why I didn't indicate the router model since it's not about the router but rather the UP app.

It would be great if someone from Netgear could let us know if the UP app is supposed to give the correct speed for hight speed connection. The way I understood the app documentation is that it should measure the speed between the modem and router. Having that confirmed would be great.

//CD
Message 9 of 11
Doug_Ho
Apprentice

The way I read the description of the UP app, it is just reading/writing stuff which exists in certain firmware versions of certain routers.  I could be wrong, but I think it is just reporting the result you say is similar to the built-in "speed test" as found near the QoS settings in the traditional router web interface.  My R7800 router is not in the compatibility list for UP app, so I have no actual experience - sorry for any confusion.

Update: I missed seeing R7000 on compatibility list (mine is in closet as spare).

Message 10 of 11
cdysthe
Luminary

The UP app is compatible with my R7000 and the speed test does work in the app, but in pretty sure it isn't accurate since measuring directly connected gives a completely different speed. Thank you for help.
//CD
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E