Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The channels to use the internet are locked

The channels to use the internet are locked

"The channels to use the internet are locked" says the Netgear customer service rep. Granted the person was not a technician and couldn't offer me more than that (I am guessing they are following some script?). With only that bit info I am left to figure this out myself. 

Attached is the logs as I am not understanding exactly what the issue is with the locking. Because I don't understand I am not certain exactly what to search for on these forums. All I know is that I have to reboot my CM1200 at least once a day to get my full upload/download speeds. If I don't reboot my modem crawls almost to a halt. Apologies, if the answer is already out there had someone tell me something like check here or search for this and it will lead  you in the right direction I would have done that.

Can someone take a look at these logs and help me to figure out why my channels are locked and how to unlock them? 

If you need additional info let me know.

Thanks in advanced!

Message 1 of 8

Re: The channels to use the internet are locked

Been doing some research it turns out that "locked" is a good a thing.

If you look at the logs none of my Upstream channels are locked.

Upstream OFDMA Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation / Profile ID Channel ID Frequency Power
1 Not Locked 0 0 0 Hz 0 dBmV
2 Not Locked 0 0 0 Hz 0 dBmV

How do you lock these channels? Is that something I can do? Are there steps I can follow?

Maybe this is the reason why I am getting slow speeds from time-to-time?

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Your signal levels are a little high. not bad just a little over.  

You won't see locked ofdma upstream channels. 

Are you using port aggregation on the cm1200? 

I've seen in the past issues with port aggregation causing decreased speeds after 12-24 hours. 

Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the response. I have selected Ethernet Port Aggregation Status and rebooted the device. However, upon looking at the status (see attached) it is saying it is inactive. Is that ok? Should I try a hard reboot (unplug the system rather letting the software to reboot it)?

After doing that I have cleared the logs to see if the issue comes back.

Will respond back. Thanks!

Edit: Forgotten to tell you about your inquiry about the high levels. The Xfinity tech said the same thing that the line coming into the home is positive when usually they see it as a negative value. Because it is strong they originaly put a damper (my term as I don't know what's its called) to lower the power levels (again my term as I am trying to understand this all). The Tech then removed that damper thingy and that's why you're seeing it high. Should I ask them to put that device back in to lower it?

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Leave it. 

Switch your port aggregation to disabled. 

Then make sure only 1 device is plugged into the cm1200 and have it only connected to port 1. 

Then reboot the modem and use it

Message 5 of 8

Have done that. So basically I have gone back to how my modem was originally configured when I was having the issue. Still doesn't address what the Netgear rep was saying that the channels to use the internet are locked. 

Does this mean I have a defective modem? I will do a wait and see approach with these changes. Not going to lie, but I am doubtful this has addressed the issue. (Don't mind being proven wrong as I really want my modem to work as it once did).

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

The channels are supposed to be locked. 

When they aren't, it means they aren't connecting back to the ISP. 

Message 7 of 8

Appreciate the help you have given so far. It seems the issue is still there despite those changes you have recommended. 

Once the timeout occurs the entire network crawls to a halt unless I reboot the modem. The router is fine, but there is something going on with the modem. 

At this point I am probably just going to pony up and hire a Netgear Support ticket to see if this can be resolved. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7