The most powerful gaming router on the market, the XR700.

bacevedo
Community Manager

The most powerful gaming router on the market, the XR700.

Hello Nighthawks!

ZarduBen here, with an introduction to the latest addition to our Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers, the XR700!

The NPG XR700 combines advanced gaming software with our best-in-class, high-performance hardware that every gamer expects from Nighthawk Pro Gaming. We upped the performance, giving the XR700 a powerful 1.7GHz quad-core processor, quad-stream WiFi with MU-MIMO, the fastest 60GHz 802.11ad WiFi technology, and four external high-power active antennas. With a single 10G SFP+ port and additional 7 Gigabit ports, the XR700 is ideally designed for streamers, videophiles with networked storage, and those who depend on hard-wired gaming hardware.

The very powerful XR700 Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router.The very powerful XR700 Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router.

You want to go faster? Using a compatible SFP+ module such as NETGEAR AXM765, gamers can run 10G connection from the NPG XR700 to a 10GBASE-T capable PC and experience one tenth the latency in downstream of a 1G connection, eliminating any bottleneck to reach breakneck speed.

The XR700 is perfect for setting up a team LAN environment when coupled with the Nighthawk Pro Gaming SX10 10G LAN Switch with its (2) 10G multi-gig ports. These two products combined allow swift transfers of large data like 4k video.

With gamer-focused customization options, seven Gigabit Ethernet ports, an available 10G port, a 1.7GHz quad-core processor and Plex Media Server, you have the best possible media streaming and gameplay on whatever platform you are playing with Xbox, PlayStation, PC or mobile devices. To quote David Henry, our senior vice president of Connected Home for NETGEAR: “NPG puts you in command to overcome ping and latency!”

The Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 is loaded with features using the latest and most innovative technologies specifically designed to maximize your gaming regardless of platform — from console to PC to mobile, with the XR700 you can assure your teammates that you are not the one lagging behind. You’ll enjoy frustration-free online and network gaming at the industry’s fastest speeds with Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700.

To sum it up, the XR700 is designed to enhance online gameplay, providing players with an optimized network environment to deliver top performance and dominate over the competition.

You want specs? Here’s the beefy Hardware and Software features in the XR700.

Hardware Features of the XR700 Router:

• AD7200 Quad Stream Wave2 WiFi — Enjoy Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO) for simultaneous streaming at the fastest speeds up to AD7200*, and stream 4K UHD videos in pristine quality up to Gigabit WiFi speeds for mobile devices with 160MHz
  • 10 Gigabit LAN SFP+ Port — Faster access to Network Attached Storage (NAS) for lightning-fast backup and streaming or connect to the Nighthawk Pro Gaming SX10 Multi-Gig Ethernet Switch for lower-latency LAN game parties
  • 7 Gigabit Ethernet Ports (6 LAN + 1 WAN) — Aggregate two ports when connecting to a compatible switch to get even more wired ports for gaming LAN parties
  • Powerful 1.7GHz Quad Core Processor — Support more devices with the fastest processor for a home router for better 4K UHD streaming, VR gaming, and more
  • 60GHz 802.11ad WiFi – Benefit from the fastest WiFi technology for instant downloads and backup
  • Built-in Plex Media Server — Enjoy your movie, TV show, music, video, and photo collections anywhere you go, on the devices you love
  • Additional DFS Channels — Enjoy 15 more channels in 5GHz for an interference-free gaming experience
  • High-Performance Active Antennas — Get better WiFi coverage and faster speeds throughout your home with four (4) external antennas
  • Two USB 3.0 Ports and ReadyCLOUD® USB Access—Get faster streaming and backup to stored media, and secure cloud access to USB storage
  • VPN Server — Enjoy secure access to your home network and Internet using any device.
  • Security Updates — Get the latest firmware updates to your router automatically
  • Automatic Cloud and USB Drive Backup: Back up to the cloud or use free ReadySHARE Vault® software to back up your PC to a connected USB hard drive

DumaOS Features:

• Gaming Dashboard — View real-time bandwidth utilization by device, ping, and many other parameters including your favorite features
  • Geo Filter — Control lag by limiting distance to game servers or other players, get a guaranteed local connection, and create black/white lists of your preferred servers
  • Quality of Service (QoS) — Prioritize and allocate bandwidth by gaming device, even controlling maximum upload/download speeds to minimize sudden lag spikes
  • Network Monitor — Check on bandwidth-hogging devices and identify the applications which could be causing lag

The Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 WiFi Router from NETGEAR will be available worldwide next month through authorized NETGEAR partners and other reseller channels, ecommerce sites, and major retailers, at an MSRP of $499.99 (USD), £449 (GBP) and €499 (EUR), $849 (AUD).

Find out more at: https://www.netgear.com/npg/xr700

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 65
Danny80916
Luminary

Re: The most powerful gaming router on the market, the XR700.PLEASE PUT NETDUMA ON R9000X10 NIGHTHAW

Wish I could beta test that ,baby. I know it will be a day one buy for me I saw it listed on amazon 4 days ago for mid octobor but now the link is gone ;O.

Message 2 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: The most powerful gaming router on the market, the XR700.PLEASE PUT NETDUMA ON R9000X10 NIGHTHAW

From what I understand, the XR700 is R9000 HW basically with DumaOS loaded...

And how do you know that customers would be angry or switch? Smiley Wink

@mark26 wrote:

NETGEAR ENGINER ADD NETDUMA TO THE R9000X10 .PLEASE DONT INSULT US WHO BOUGHT THE R9000X10 ITS THE SAME ROUTER  RENAMED XR700 .YOU ARE MAKING CUSTOMERS ANGRY.I WILL SWTICH TO IF YOU   DONT SHOW MORE SUPPORT FOR THE R9000 X10.ALSO ADD FEATURES TO THE R9000 X10.

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM1200 Modem |  Wifi Router Orbi RBK853 (Router Mode), Wired Backhaul and RBK752 | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 3 of 65
schumaku
Guru

Re: The most powerful gaming router on the market, the XR700.

@bacevedo wrote:

... at an MSRP of $499.99 (USD), £449 (GBP) and €499 (EUR), $849 (AUD).

Complete non-competitive MSRP for Europe - 499.99 USD (ex VAT) are about ~430 EUR (ex VAT) or ~390 GBP (ex VAT) [or ~694 AUD] - can't wait for all the users seeking to convert US/North American or Aussie models to other country wireless regulations - because they are going to buy from outside Europe (aka. Amazon) instead of others. 

Message 4 of 65
eerfan
Luminary

First, anyone that considers themselves a "pro gamer" or is really serious about their network and its bandwidth is always going to use hardline and would never use wireless. However,For that kind of money I'd go with a PFSense or OPNSense build and a Ubiquity UniFi AC Pro AP. That or if WiFi was even more of a priority with a lotta connected devices, one could go with a Ubiquity EdgeRouter X or Lite for cheap and then get an overkill AP like the UniFi AC HD.

Though I must admit, for a home-grade gaming router, having a faster quad core is nice and sounds like some decent features and some questionable ones. Frankly I'd go for either what I listed above or business-grade gear, but working in the industry that's easier for me to say and deal with. 
Not sure home grade routers really make sense at the price Announced ,...point for anyone really, but then again it could be a badass router for those willing to cough up the price if it truly performs well, reliably and is stable. I'm kinda hesitant with Netgear stuff, and more-so at that price. It's not the worst, but it surely is not anywhere close to the best IMHO.

Lara.S

“Leaning without thinking is useless thinking without learning is dangerous"

https://ccleaner.vip/, https://www.happywheels.vip/, https://vlc.onl/

Message 5 of 65
bacevedo
Community Manager

Hi,

I always find it interesting that "anyone serious about their network or gaming is always going to use hardline and would never use wireless" seems to be a complaint about the XR500 or XR700. 

We have never said that wireless would replace hardline or wired connection. In fact, that's why we put ports on the back. Fans of the XR500 asked for more ports and the XR700 has them.

While wireless speeds maybe faster at times, there are still environmental factors and electro-magnetic interferance that could reduce the effectiveness of using wireless for gaming. That's why we recommend to use the ethernet ports in the back of our gaming routers for your gaming devices. 

But at the same time, every gamer has devices that use wireless. I have a gaming PC and my XBox X but I have phones, my smart TV, streaming devices and a laptop that use wireless. I couldn't imagine buying a router for gaming that didn't have wireless because why would I force myself to buy another router for wireless to solve one problem?

I am curious why you would think otherwise? Is there anything in our messaging that makes you think that we would put out a pro gaming router, (purpose built for gaming) and recommend wireless. I'm serious, I'd like to know why you got that message, maybe we need to make some adjustments.

Thanks,

Ben

Message 6 of 65
Atazoth
Luminary

Can this be wall mounted? If anyone knows?

Message 7 of 65
bacevedo
Community Manager

Yes it can! That was one of the asks from the XR500 and the we made sure the XR700 is wall mountable.

B

Message 8 of 65
schumaku
Guru

Yes it can be wall mounted - look here: https://kb.netgear.com/18725/How-to-wall-mount-your-router
Message 9 of 65
Atazoth
Luminary

Excellent! Last question I have in regards to the PLex server is it the full plex server experience, such as support the live tv and recording, and will it be utilizing hard acceleration and how many streams can it handle

Message 10 of 65
schumaku
Guru

For Plex features and capabilities of the XR700 start on the official Plex R900 page FMI - https://support.plex.tv/articles/230934267-netgear-nighthawk-x10-router/ - almost everything you want to know is in there, officially maintained by Plex AFAIK.
Message 11 of 65
JLMaysonet
Luminary

It would be great if at least a (maybe paid) DumaOS/App upgrade option get available for X10 R9000 owners.

I bought this router because of all the specs but I ended using a third party f/w because of the DQoS mess.

Message 12 of 65
slompochomp
Luminary

I was a tester for this router and hands down this was a pleasure to test. It is very fast and I have had 0 disconnects/issues on the Wi-Fi and no issues with speed on the wired side. The 10G port is great for a NAS which integrates with the free trial of Plex nicely. DumaOS well not much to say about that; it is running fast on this router and who doesn't like DumaOS. This has turned into my primary router and I have a tested a lot from other manufacturers. Yes they could have added Wi-Fi-ax or WPA3 for future proofing, but we won't see many client devices supporting that for awhile. I expect Wi-Fi-ax to be comming in next years routers.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!
Message 13 of 65
bacevedo
Community Manager

Thanks for the suggestion. I can bring it up with the product team.

B

Message 14 of 65
Roadrunner79
Luminary

Will we be able to use NORDvpn or PiA as our preferred VPN provider?
Message 15 of 65
schumaku
Guru

@Roadrunner79 wrote:
Will we be able to use NORDvpn or PiA as our preferred VPN provider?

Permitting the long awaited Hybrid VPN does make it to the Netgear DumaOS routers (as promised by Duma since January 2018) resp. it is passing Netgear QA (is there any?) - to the extend I understand it should be possible to bind any attached device to the direct Internet or to one of multiple VPN provider(s) configured - yes. 

Message 16 of 65
Roadrunner79
Luminary

Whats the specs for memory/Ram? on the xr700? Whats the release date?

Message 17 of 65
schumaku
Guru

@Roadrunner79 wrote:

Whats the specs for memory/Ram? on the xr700?

Same as the R9000 (Nightawk X10) - see https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_XR700

@Roadrunner79 wrote:

Whats the release date?

Newegg does list the 28 October 2018.

Message 18 of 65
Roadrunner79
Luminary

FLA1: 512 MiB ?
RAM1: 1 GiB ?

That and the quad core chip are the factors pulling me from my long in the tooth X8 router. The xr500 is a dual core 1.7 as my X8 is a dual core 1.4. I'm Torn between the xr500 as a minor upgrade over the X8 or another $200 for the xr700.

"

Message 19 of 65
bacevedo
Community Manager

Here's the specs:

Hardware Features of the XR700 Router:

• AD7200 Quad Stream Wave2 WiFi — Enjoy Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO) for simultaneous streaming at the fastest speeds up to AD7200*, and stream 4K UHD videos in pristine quality up to Gigabit WiFi speeds for mobile devices with 160MHz
  • 10 Gigabit LAN SFP+ Port — Faster access to Network Attached Storage (NAS) for lightning-fast backup and streaming or connect to the Nighthawk Pro Gaming SX10 Multi-Gig Ethernet Switch for lower-latency LAN game parties
  • 7 Gigabit Ethernet Ports (6 LAN + 1 WAN) — Aggregate two ports when connecting to a compatible switch to get even more wired ports for gaming LAN parties
  • Powerful 1.7GHz Quad Core Processor — Support more devices with the fastest processor for a home router for better 4K UHD streaming, VR gaming, and more
  • 60GHz 802.11ad WiFi – Benefit from the fastest WiFi technology for instant downloads and backup
  • Built-in Plex Media Server — Enjoy your movie, TV show, music, video, and photo collections anywhere you go, on the devices you love
  • Additional DFS Channels — Enjoy 15 more channels in 5GHz for an interference-free gaming experience
  • High-Performance Active Antennas — Get better WiFi coverage and faster speeds throughout your home with four (4) external antennas
  • Two USB 3.0 Ports and ReadyCLOUD® USB Access—Get faster streaming and backup to stored media, and secure cloud access to USB storage
  • VPN Server — Enjoy secure access to your home network and Internet using any device.
  • Security Updates — Get the latest firmware updates to your router automatically
  • Automatic Cloud and USB Drive Backup: Back up to the cloud or use free ReadySHARE Vault® software to back up your PC to a connected USB hard drive

DumaOS Features:

• Gaming Dashboard — View real-time bandwidth utilization by device, ping, and many other parameters including your favorite features
  • Geo Filter — Control lag by limiting distance to game servers or other players, get a guaranteed local connection, and create black/white lists of your preferred servers
  • Quality of Service (QoS) — Prioritize and allocate bandwidth by gaming device, even controlling maximum upload/download speeds to minimize sudden lag spikes
  • Network Monitor — Check on bandwidth-hogging devices and identify the applications which could be causing lag
Message 20 of 65
Roadrunner79
Luminary

Xr500 is 256 flash 512 ram xr700 512 flash 1gig ram. I'm curious if the beefier ram/memory coupled with the 4 core 1.7 chip will help dumaOS really flex its muscle?
Message 21 of 65
bacevedo
Community Manager

It's not going to hurt. We have found that the XR700 is pretty beefy and paired with the DumaOS it's pretty much top of the food chain for gaming routers. That quad-core really allows it to run on all cylinders.

Message 22 of 65
schumaku
Guru

However, it hurts that the very similar R9000 aka. Nighthawk X10 and its little R8900 sibling are left behind badly when it comes to reliability, firmware quality, and support. Yes, this is the harder job which has to be done over the product lifecycle. Pushing and expensively promote a new system is not the end. But there the Nighthwak X10 does - along with it's many smaller bros and sisters - are badly suffering. And we seriously fear things are even worse since the XR series was launched. Nobody at Netgear does take all the many problems and issues seriously.
Message 23 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is gonna have to complete with this I bet:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C5400X.html

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM1200 Modem |  Wifi Router Orbi RBK853 (Router Mode), Wired Backhaul and RBK752 | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 24 of 65
schumaku
Guru

To compete these 64-bit platforms a AL324 based unit would be state-of-the-art, truly taking advantages of the 64-bit architecture, able to take large capacity SO-DIMM, getting rid of the obsolete 802.11ad WiGig and add a second 5 GHz radio - ideally ready for WPA3 and pre-802.11ax. Dream on! And of course at least 16 active antennas with a muti-colour LED firework simulation.

Message 25 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E