Re: The most powerful gaming router on the market, the XR700.

FURRYe38
Guru

I'll only buy it for the " muti-colour LED firework simulation." Smiley Tongue

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 26 of 65
Roadrunner79
Guide

LULZ. I have the xr500 now but more stout hardware is drawing me in to xr700.
Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 27 of 65
Roadrunner79
Guide

I have felt what you are going through in years past. This is why I held on to my X8. It felt like it just came out and then the X10 little brothers came around. They dropped the X8 support flat on its face. Customers that have gone through this across all kinds of products learn off these kind of things and it's understandable. I got the xr500 yesterday and now seeing all the bumps in its road within the community forums it looks like a large uphill battle. Now the xr700 is weeks away and it is going to have its share of hiccups. How are xr500 owners going to feel when focus shifts to the xr700? Of course anyone will say the xr500 will still be payed attention to, and they are probably right because it has dumaOS in it and it's not a standalone netgear product. The X10 will stay being a X10 just remember the xr700 bigger brother is waking up out of bed and will come around sooner or later. It's just business.
Message 28 of 65
bacevedo
Community Manager

Hi, Thanks for purchasing the XR500.

As you know I am the Brand Experience Manager for Nighthawk Pro Gaming and yes the XR700 is on the way.

Does that mean we are going to abandon the router that got everyone's attention this year? The best gaming router according to PC Gamer, IGN and every publication that has reviewed it?

The answer is no. We launched the XR700 after we listened to alot of suggestions from you, the  gamers. You asked for a bigger, badder processor, we delivered. You asked for more ports, we delivered. You even asked to be able to mount the router on the wall and we delivered. 

I can make a commitment to you, that NPG is here to build a community and deliver the best gaming networking products to you. We have 4 products in the Nighthawk Pro Gaming family and we are not going to abandon any of them. 

Some people are going to get the XR700, some the XR500 and either are great powerhouses to get your networking sorted and get you into the game with the lowest latency and best possible connection we can provide.

Best,

Ben

Message 29 of 65
Roadrunner79
Guide

I have to say that I returned the XR500 to best buy already. It had been years since I got really upset at matchmaking. I tried the most basic settings  for bufferbbloat 70% on download/upload, QOS enabled ,static ip to consoles 2 Xbox one's and my ps4. Tried the YouTube advice going to DSLReports and moved sliders down but after 75 percent the whole test would timeout unless I left buffer bloat at 80% DL/UL. Filtered or spectate mode and in destiny 2 it was a horrible  experience. I been using  a X8 for the last few years and I have never experienced this much lag. I felt like I was Luigi from Mario bros ice skating everywhere and the ps4 controller reactiins felt and moved like a computer mouse cursor. I'm going to stick around and see if things get better over the coming months.

My internet is att fiber 1000 gateway is set to passtthough mode wifi off, X8 router and consoles wired. 

Good luck everyone you are on the right path. ItsI just a matter of time for things to get ironed out. 

Message 30 of 65
slompochomp
Guide

Also Razer is trying to tap into the gaming market.
Razer Sila

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!
Message 31 of 65
schumaku
Guru

@slompochomp wrote:

Gaming _and_ mesh with the same device model, too.

Message 32 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

A nice warning in the Specs:

"Warning: This product can expose you to chemicals including diethylhexyl phthalate(DEHP), which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go towww.P65Warnings.ca.gov." Smiley Frustrated

@schumaku wrote:

@slompochomp wrote:

Gaming _and_ mesh with the same device model, too.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 33 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that Roadrunner, I would say that if you were experiencing lag using the router then you either did not set it up correctly or have an existing line issue that needs to be solved. Either way, we hope you consider us again in the future.
Message 34 of 65
Icanhascamaro
Aspirant

Sure and I’d this better or worse than the XR500 at providing a good WiFi signal in a house? Because my 500 is still giving speeds of 5-20 upstairs and 289 downstairs and I don’t have a huge house at all. It’s actually quite small, yet here I am, about to buy a range extender. What a slap in the face. I should’ve stayed with my R7000, which had a huge range.
Message 35 of 65
bacevedo
Community Manager

Hello Icanhascamaro,

I am sorry that you are having issues with range. What is the construction in your house, because wifi radio waves are subject to environmental issues. Is there any EM interference between where the router is and your upstairs? All of these factors effect wifi signal. We would love to help sort your issue out.

Message 36 of 65
schumaku
Guru

There should not be a massive difference between modern wireless routers - being the R7000 or the XR500/R7800 platform. Crucial for reach and throughput are the channels in use - the 5 GHz channels on the lower band allow much lower emitted power than the ones higher band. Also the XR700/R9000 can't create magic performance on air.

Message 37 of 65
Roadrunner79
Guide

So are we hours away from the XR700 release? Any pre launch day hype??? I'm on the pins and needles 😂😂😂
Message 38 of 65
Roadrunner79
Guide

Looks like Hybrid VPN is getting worked on. As the xr700 is on the verge of release first firmware update is alreada posted on the xr700 download page  

Message 39 of 65
Robboc
Tutor

I'm replacing my r7000 and ordered the r9000 only to find it doesnt support circle. What router that supports 4 k streaming and gaming that has VPN and proper parental control like circle capabilities is in the range. You would think the top of the range would have it all. Does the xr 700 support circle or have proper parental control?
Message 40 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't believe any of the XR models support Circle.

The Orbi systems do. You might see if the R8000 supports circle.

@Robboc wrote:
I'm replacing my r7000 and ordered the r9000 only to find it doesnt support circle. What router that supports 4 k streaming and gaming that has VPN and proper parental control like circle capabilities is in the range. You would think the top of the range would have it all. Does the xr 700 support circle or have proper parental control?

Message 41 of 65
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

As Furry said, the XR700 does not have Parental Control / Circle on it yet. Something we can look into for sure.

Message 42 of 65
Robboc
Tutor

Thanks for the response I am sending the r9000 back but urgently need to know what to replace it with. When will the xr 700 have the functionality anyone who buys it will want I need to know this will be sorted and in what time frame please since I pay monthly for circle. If it's going to be a month or so I guess I can go without it for that month but not sure what decision to make around my r7000 replacement. Why does the r9000 not have all the bells and whistles guys?
Message 43 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We can't give any timeframes on firmware releases or their contents unfortunately.
Message 44 of 65
Robboc
Tutor

Guys this is a pretty simple request and surely shouldn't come as a surprise if this is to be the primary router you expect people to buy. As any good software dev house would know you should be able to share your product road map for at least the next year possibly even 2. Big software houses have 3 year road maps I speak from experience. How do you expect to sell a product to a customer without being transparent about what coming. Even on windows 10 we know what Rs releases will incorporate.
Message 45 of 65
bacevedo
Community Manager

Hey Robboc,

That's a great idea and I believe some of that roadmap will be announced soon.

B

Message 46 of 65
Killhippie
Prodigy

Apart from farming out 2016 hardware as new (the R7800 and X10 came out in 2016) and thats what the XR500 and the XR700 are respectively (okay the XR500 has a whole 128MB more flash) why do gamers need a more powerful CPU than the XR500/R7800 when gaming only uses about 1M of bandwidth? For the Plex server yes I can see the router needed more power plus the bigger pipes on it and 802.11ad is pretty dead, but none of this makes gaming faster, hell a 600Mhz CPU would do just fine for gaming, after all thats what the R1 uses and DumaOS seems to work better on that than the XR500. Also I'm sure the XR700 wil inherit all the bugs the R9000 has plus a few more even though the firmware at this point should be tweaked to perfection, I mean its been around long enough...

Message 47 of 65
Robboc
Tutor

oh well i sent the r9000 back i needed circle which it didnt have, got the r8000 now, had to downgrade to the r8000 to get cricle, boggles the mind that netgear dont have the most fucntionality on their most expensive router, NETGEAR i think you need help, clearly. now i see there are people saying the latest firmware breaks stuff, AGAIN i say you need help NETGEAR, before you lose all your customers, get your house in order, get the right dev practices in place, test the stuff you release (relentlessly) not just a little. If you need help get the right help from the best in the industry OK

Message 48 of 65
sidhanrt21
Aspirant

MX Player for Android

Message 49 of 65
prbugzdaman7
Initiate

Going to be honest with you, after having such a bad experience with the XR500, I'm done using a Netgear product with the DumaOS. 

It's been really disappointing to this date, and for the price that I paid, the router has been very unstable and unreliable. I can't imagine the XR700 is going to be any different. You can add more specs and two additional ports, but you can't fix the issue with the OS. If so please feel free to prove it's reliability and stabilization. 

I'd be curious to see what others have to say. 

I'd also be curious to see how many others upgraded from the XR500 to the XR700 and were satisfied.

Message 50 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E