Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pop-up Ads - R6700v3

kelvinkewl
Star

The "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" nag ad pops up EVERY time I login to my router.

Ever since I applied the V1.0.4.98_10.0.71 firmware update, I am presented with a ""Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" pop-up every time I login. There is no checkbox to disable this Circle ad. I never had Circle, nor will ever need any parental controls. My parental controls are  disabled and have never been enabled.

1. Re-applied firmware 

2. Tried 4 different browsers

3. Cleared my cache for every browser.

Does anybody know how to stop this Circle nag ad? 

Image of the ad (also attached):

https://ibb.co/XZrWKr7

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 72
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: The "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" nag ad pops up EVERY time I login to my r...

I will report this issue to the engineers.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 72
Slightshadow
Initiate

Re: The "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" nag ad pops up EVERY time I login

Same issue with V1.0.4.98_10.0.71 firmware.  EVERY time I log in to the router I get this "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" Circle advertisement popup.  It's annoying as can be to have to click this advertisement off EVERY time before I can manage my router.  Whoever thought that putting popup advertisements in a firmware update was wrong.  Please fix this.

Message 3 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

Re: The "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" nag ad pops up EVERY time I login

What have the engineers said? This advertisement is completely uncalled for.

Message 4 of 72
eidco
Initiate

I'm getting the same thing. I don't want this...ever!  It's ridiculous and insulting. Why not show professionalism by adding a checkbox "Don't show this again."?

Seriously.  What kind of amateur did this?

Message 5 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

Netgear!

This post is coming up on 2 months old. Where are you at with removing the forced advert you are making me see every time I login to my router?

Message 6 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

What is being done about this forced advertisement? 

Message 7 of 72
MajTom
Initiate

Pop-up Ads - R6700v3

I'll dump Netgear if this B.S. continues - get rid of the pop-up ads on my router or give product owners the ability to disable them.

Message 8 of 72
JoeQ51
Initiate

Even Microsoft let's me disable unwanted ads!  Let's get rid of this.

Message 9 of 72
mbajkowski
Initiate

Absolutely agreed, this needs to go. It is very furstrating to have to klick this away every single time.

Message 10 of 72
Hayashida
Guide

This feature is really nuts and totally not professional.

I found a workardound using an Ad Blocker. With "Ads killer Adblocker plus" for Chrome, you can add a filter below to kill the pop up.

192.168.0.1###circle-info-modal

I have never heard that you need an ad blocker for an admin menu in a router.

Message 11 of 72
DocDNA
Guide

Please fix this.  Just add a simple do not show again check box.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 12 of 72
DocDNA
Guide

Which Chrome extension are you using to block this annoying pop-up?  I could not find the exact one you mentioned.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 13 of 72
Hayashida
Guide

I use this.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ads-killer-adblocker-plus/pgbllmbdjgcalkoimdfcpknbjgnhjclg

It is not limited to this extention. I think any of your favolite extentions will work.

Message 14 of 72
Flakie
Guide

Absolute knobheads. New router on order (and its not from NetGear).

Message 15 of 72
Flakie
Guide

Cheers, exactly the same in AdBlock.

Message 16 of 72
kujayhawk
Tutor

I agree this "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" popup is extremely annoying. I log into the router often and have to close it. It's someting that'll make me think twice before buying another Netgear router.

Message 17 of 72
Bpjb
Tutor

If any of their engineers are reaching this, this is a major bug. Having a blocking advert prevents the nighthawk app from connecting to the router.

The Adblock solutions area not for everyone. Fix the solution, and then it's recommended to turn off auto firmware updates if they are only to add spam to routers!
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 18 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

Netgear,

I have provided you ample time to respond and you have provided nothing. I will now be filing a complain with the Better Business Bureau and the Secretary of the State of Texas. This is unacceptable and unprofessional.

Regards,

Eric Collins

Message 19 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

When going to the Netgear - San Jose, CA BBB account, it shows an "F" rating. 

Message 20 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

Complaint Submitted

Your complaint has been submitted and assigned the ID 14880137. For your reference, a copy of your complaint appears below. You will receive an email with further information once your complaint is processed by the BBB.

The complaint is being handled by the dispute center listed below. Please contact them with any questions.

Better Business Bureau (Phoenix, AZ)
1010 E Missouri Ave
Phoenix , AZ 85014-4585

Message 21 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

Re: The "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" nag ad pops up EVERY time

I received an update from the BBB that they have initiated an enquiry to Netgear.

The Better Business Bureau serving the Pacific Southwest (BBB) has received your correspondence involving NetGear. Thank you for contacting BBB and allowing us the opportunity to assist you with resolving this matter. Your case number is: 14880137; please make a note of this number for future reference.

BBB acts as a neutral third-party to foster an ethical marketplace. As part of its mission, BBB assists businesses and consumers by opening lines of communication with the facilitation of disputes, and providing company reports to summarize how a company responds to and resolves any issues that may arise.

While your Better Business Bureau is teleworking to continue serving our communities, we know that many businesses have closed completely or are working under a reduced schedule or under alternative operating arrangements. 

Your complaint has been reviewed and forwarded to NetGear and we have asked that they respond. We will send you any response they provide. 
Message 22 of 72
pjyoung1
Initiate

The Netgear manager that decided this was a good idea really should be fired!  Why would you deliberately piss off your customers *every* time they log in to administer their router? 

The kicker is that Circle is a very poor product.  I tried it and it's very difficult to use and configure.  The app is designed to work only on phones and is crap on an iPad or PC.  It's clearly nothing more than a marketing ploy and not a serious security product.  So, not only is Netgear making me angry every time I log into my router, but they are reminding me how little regard they have for true security every time they do it.

Message 23 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

I have now posted to r/NetGear on  Reddit "Netgear firmware forced "Circle" Advertisement Netgear Nighthawk 6700v3 and other models. I AM DONE WITH NETGEAR forever and why." I will continue to share this terrible experience across most forms of social media and communication.

Message 24 of 72
DocDNA
Guide

You can use an ad blocker as some have suggested.

Netgear needs to fix this.
Message 25 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7