Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" nag ad pops up EVERY time I login

Robertos
Luminary

Re: The "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" nag ad pops up EVERY time I login

Which idiot thought this was good idea? Whomever it was should be fired.  Netgear, fix this and give us the means to shut it off permanently.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 72
Robertos
Luminary

Any hopes of some action to fix this abomination?

Message 27 of 72
Bpjb
Tutor

Only way to fix is to downgrade the firmware. It only contained security risks, so hopefully the next firmware will contain security and get rid of this abomination. The firmware is available on https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx under firmware / "other versions". The previous version 10.0.4.58 works with both the app and the website without advertising.

SmartConnect doesn't work properly with either(!) but if you go back another version it is worse!

Message 28 of 72
Robertos
Luminary

Downgraded to 10.0.4.58 and have 'lost' the ad.  However I am concerned that any new security fixes are now not installed.  Netgear really do need to get their act together.  I have been looking at othe makes of router and they also all have their issues.

Message 29 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

NetGear is failing to respond to my inquiry from the BBB. As seen below. I have seen no response. I've posted to r/NetGear on reddit and will be moving to other social media spaces next and other Reddit related topics.

Dear, XXX

You recently requested help from Better Business Bureau serving the Pacific Southwest (BBB) concerning a problem with NetGear. To date, BBB has not received a response from the company. 

Although a reminder has been sent to the company, we are inquiring with you to see if you have heard from the company directly. Please contact BBB with the status of this matter if the company has contacted you and the matter has been resolved. If you have not heard from the company, there is no need to reply.

While many times a reply is received quickly, in some cases a company can take longer to respond. You will be contacted again if a response is not received from the company. We appreciate your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Madison R. (abbreviated the last name)
Your Better Business Bureau
Message 30 of 72
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello KelvinKewl

We are aware of this issue and are releasing a fix for this issue in the next firmware release for the R6700.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 31 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

DarrenM,

Thank you for the update. I will not consider this case/issue closed until the updated firmware is released.

Message 32 of 72
Robertos
Luminary

Hi Darren

I presume the same will be done for the other routers that have the same issue.  Namely R8000

Message 33 of 72
dstdean
Aspirant

I agree that this is a royal PITA and needs to be fixed.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 34 of 72
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Can everyone that is experiencing this issue list me the router model they have so I can report this to the engineers for each model.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 35 of 72
Robertos
Luminary

Hi Darren

R8000 here

Message 36 of 72
JoeQ51
Initiate

Hi, Darren.

My model is a R6700v3

Joe

Message 37 of 72
DickBartlett
Aspirant

If you try to sign on to Orbilogin.com and you get a screen Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router, check your URL line to see if the site is "Secure".

My sight shows "Not Secure".  

I found a CSRSS.exe file that is a trojan program.  Netgear will not let you log on with CSRSS program running.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 38 of 72
badms
Initiate

@DarrenM 

R7000 with latest firmware (updated today) shows this ad. 

I find it comical that the moderator here needs a list of models this ad is popping up on, when Netgear knows very well that this was a deliberate act. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 39 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

DarrenM,

When is the epected release date of the updated firmware excluding the "Circle" forced advertisement?

Spoiler

Message 40 of 72
Dougie18
Tutor

Netgear acting like they don't know which routers have this Circle advertising.

Message 41 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

It's a common tactic to push the issue out. Ask for more data. They clearly know which firmware was built with this code. @DarrenM What is the scheduled release date for the updated firmware? I need to update my case with the Better Busines Bureau. And follow other means of filing complaints, etc.

Message 42 of 72
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

A workaround that might work is clear your browsers cookies and then close out the pop up 3 or 4 times and it will go away I have seen reports of this working for other customers.

DarrenM

Message 43 of 72
kelvinkewl
Star

@DarrenM This does not work for me. It's in the firmware code. When is the updated firmware going to be released?

Message 44 of 72
CRhode
Tutor

I've joined to say simply say what I feel about netgear forcing this crap advert on us. I've put up with it for a few months hoping it would go away after it had been seen a few times, ot that the next update would fis it. It hasn't. Netgear must be run by really foul minded morons who think they can do what they want with impunity. It's now a shyster company.

Your comment that it can be cleared by clearing caches etc..... I don't know if you actually believe that, if you lack the experience to sort wheat from chaff, ducks from geese, or perfume from bullsnot... but I do and I'm not even going to waste my time trying that BS suggestion. This advert is in the firmware so NOTHING that the user does outside the router will affect it.

Similarly, your request for a list of routers affected is also BS. Your company makes this once decent (now a bag of crap) router, so the contempuous morons who decided to treat us like dirt and force adverts on something WE own, already know what models are affected... unless you're telling is that your company DOESN'T know what each firmware does. Have they lost track of the changes in each firmware? That's worrying. Very worrying that your software writers have lost trac of teh FW functionality. That needs to be made public everybody.

This sorry tale has gone on long enough, and Netgear has been stringing us along for too long. It's obvious that the company is not going to change the issue, that they're going to continue to treat us like dirt and do what they want with OUR equipment (yes NG (you don't deserve to have your name spelled in full) WE own our routers, they're not yours), ad that attitude will get worse.

These prats that created this unnecssry, irritating, monstrous ad VERY cynically made it so it can't be dragged out of the way. How's that for making sure you annoy customers as much as you can? if only they put as much thought into designing and making the equipment... but we can dream.

Me? I've tried blocking the ad with Adblock. On firefox it didn't work, it blocked the whole page

In the UK we don't have anyone we can complain to, so I wish the best of luck in your complaint to the Beaureux, but as you can see, ng are showing their contempt there as well. It's obvious ng think they're so big and mighty that they can do what they want.

My next course of action is to downgrade the firmware. I can see there is already a message that there is a new update, but I didn't try it before now because I was worried about what other undesireable, annoying crap might be contained. It's interesting that the changelist never referred to this advert.... why? It must be because ng knew it would be unpopular. Cynical, Dishonest.

So, off to downgrade. Way to go ng, make paying customers choose between affecting productivity and ease of use with unwanted adverts, or expose themselves to security risks that YOU KNOW about.... great choice.

When I've downgraded, I'll go tell my boss that our routers are now insecure and we are exposed to many known risks. He'll tell me to sort out replacements. So, that's the cost of 4 replacements, and the cost of my time to make the change over. As a small company that's time, disruption, and cost we can do without, (and I don't need the extra work) especially at this time.

Whilst the routers are sorted, I'll make sure everyone in the company knows the routers are not secure (and not very good anyway), and put a note at the end of all emails apologising for delays whilst replacement routers are installed to address "know security vulnerabilities in NETGEAR routers that are not satisfactorily addressed". Anyone wanting more details, customers, suppliers etc can have them. I guess it'll take some time for me to remove that warning, because I'm going to be busy for a while fine tuning each of the replacment routers.

None of the above is a threat, It's what I'm now setting off to do today. I'm not going to rush to get the downgrade done, if we loose comms for a while, then it'll just drive it home to everyone how important a good, reliable (in all senses) network is, and the more disruption and inconvenience there is, the less resistance to the forced-upon me changes there will be. If I have to try several firmware downgrades and the network is up and down for the rest of the day (only noon here is UK), and again on Monday, I guess most people will be demanding that we dump this troublesome unrelible netgear rubbish and get somethng better.

Obviously I'll never ever buy anything from your shyster company again, in a private or professional role. Unfortunately, a boycott by me alone will not stop you from behaving like this and taking your customers for granted. Spreading the news to as many people, and raising the issue with the likes of social media and review sites and buying guides might apply enough pressure to cause a rethink, so I urge everyone, to do that, raise the issue wherever you can because bleating about it here on this site will not change anything. They've already shown they will not listen and don't care. That' show much the value your custom.

Honestly though, I'd just rather have what I thought we (and I) were going to get when we bought this equipment: reliable trouble free products and service from a reliable, reputatable company acting with integity and honesty. In short, the exact opposite to what we're all been shafted with.

To draw a comparison, just imagine every time you turn your TV on, you're forced to watch an advert for another product made by the TV company... or you listen to a music track and hear an advert that you can't skipp over and have to listed to every time the tune plays... or you get in your car and before you can start the engine, you have to watch an advert suggesting it's time to get a new car and telling you what offers are available.. how many people would tolerate that? Why should IT companies think they're different? As I said, this equipment is ours, and making unneeded changes that affect our user experience is completely unacceptable.

So, moderator, in addition to the customers you've lost who just didn't come here to tell you, you've now lost me and my employer as a customer, and I'll do my best to convince eveyone I can that buying ng is a bad decision. I can guarantee that whatever routers I buy to replace this crap, it's going to be wonderful, fantastic, so much better than ng. It doesn't matter who it's made by, what model it is, how little it costs. I just KNOW it's going to outperform the ng crap we had, and I'm going to be so happy about it I'm going to tell everyone.

Message 45 of 72
kujayhawk
Tutor

The Amplifi mesh router with VPN is working great for me. A good alternative. If you buy a second Amplifi VPN router then you've got a hardware VPN solution for any connected device so you don't have to be limited to mobile devices and having to use the Teleport app.

Message 46 of 72
CRhode
Tutor

Thanks kujayhawk, I'll bear that in mind.
I notice our moderator friend is very quiet, as is the company in general...
Message 47 of 72
SwervingLemon
Aspirant

Hi, Darren. Another R8000 but a follow-on question:

Why can I not disable the WPS on this router? I can disable the PIN but the WPS is still advertised and exploitable regardless of security settings for WPS. The brute force prevention does nothing.

Firmware V1.0.4.62_10.1.74

I wanted to flash this to DD-WRT but the latest firmware claims that my .chk isn't compatible (it is).

Message 48 of 72
badms
Initiate

@SwervingLemon please make your own post so I don't get a bunch of email alerts on your unrelated question. Thanks!
Message 49 of 72
RonSmith
Star

The only thing that worked for me was to use uBlock Origin to block the ad and the dim overlay. Certainly would have returned this to Costco if it was present a few years ago when I purchased it.

Message 50 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7