chascent
Luminary

This is the best firmware for the R7000

Load this firmware from Kong DDWRT:

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/netgear-nighthawk-router-wallpapers

Get the latest version for the R 7000. follow this:

reset to factory

After rebooting set up the router

I have been using this for a week now and there is no comparison to the bloated stock firmware. My network is stable and lightening fast, CC

Message 1 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: This is the best firmware for the R7000

Wow! A whole week now. While I don't doubt 3rd party does offer some exciting options if you choose to try it be prepared for the worst if things go wrong. I've considered it several times but after reading some of there post It appears it's not perfect either. I may try it on a older R6300v2 to get the feel of it before risking my r7000.

Message 2 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Kong's builds are here http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

If you're new to it, you have to upload the .chk file first then the .bin file

If you already have Kong firmware installed just update it using the .bin file

Message 3 of 24
netwrks
Master

I'm partial to this firmware. And easy to load / back out of, if needed... Xvortex/Merlin

Message 4 of 24
TheEther
Guru

I heard that DD-WRT doesn't support hardware-assisted forwarding.  If true, then it may not be able to handle very high speed Internet service (e.g. Gigabit).

Xvortex/Merlin, OTOH, allegedly does support hardware-assisted forwarding.

Can you guys confirm or deny?

Message 5 of 24
netwrks
Master

On the latest Xvortex Firmware, CTF + FA are consistently enabled (in router and AP mode). In previous versions. FA used to disapear, depeninding on what options one would enable.  Some people running the latest fw, without QoS are getting close to a gig, on gig Service. I only have 100/10, so  I can't confirm. Both my R7000's are currently running in AP mode. Both CTF+ FA is consistently enabled. Running a mix of devices including 4k streaming. I have not encountered any buffering issues whatsoever. My AP's conect to a UBNT PoE5 router. 

Message 6 of 24
TheEther
Guru

I've installed XVortex.  So far, so good.  I will see how it goes.

Message 7 of 24
chascent
Luminary

What version are you running of the Xvortex?

CC

Message 8 of 24
TheEther
Guru

The latest, 378.56_2.
Message 9 of 24
chascent
Luminary

Just loaded 380.57_alpha4  newest wireless drivers. Very impressive.

CC

Message 10 of 24
coco1458
Aspirant

Have you picked up any bugs with 380.57_alpha4 

and also, could you link where I could download this update?

Message 11 of 24
chascent
Luminary

Message 12 of 24
coco1458
Aspirant

I've had the 380.57_alpha4 loaded in for almost 2 days and it feels rock solid Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 24
TheEther
Guru

How is the RAM usage on your router?  I noticed an increase from about 40 MB to 77 MB over the course of 2 days.  Unfortunately, I inadvertently rebooted after updating the DNS settings.  I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if there is a memory leak.  I know they fixed a few issues related to unbounded growth of log files in 380.56_2 as well as 380.57_alpha4.

Message 14 of 24
netwrks
Master

@TheEther wrote:

How is the RAM usage on your router?  I noticed an increase from about 40 MB to 77 MB over the course of 2 days.  Unfortunately, I inadvertently rebooted after updating the DNS settings.  I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if there is a memory leak.  I know they fixed a few issues related to unbounded growth of log files in 380.56_2 as well as 380.57_alpha4.

It's supposed to be fixed, but it looked like there was still a memory issue in 56.2, in router mode..The new 380_57 Alpha version(s) is suppoesed to fix also. Don't see it in AP mode.. 

Message 15 of 24
coco1458
Aspirant

I haven't seen mine jump around too much, it's usually around the 49mb mark with sometimes random flucuations but it clears itself back to normal in no time

Message 16 of 24
coco1458
Aspirant

Just wondering if you'd know how to overclock with this firmware. Tried the normal overclocking method using DDWRT and it was fine, but when I enter it on the xvortex merlin firmware, nothing happens.

Message 17 of 24
TheEther
Guru

I suggest you check out the main thread on linksysinfo.org.  The overclocking instructions (do at your own risk):

nvram get clkfreq (get current clock rate)
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800 (OC cpu/ram stock)
nvram commit && reboot (write change & reboot)

Message 18 of 24
01R
Luminary
Luminary

i tried the latest 2 from asuswrt they are both broke with streaming cams n xbox live

Message 19 of 24
chascent
Luminary

Try the DDWRT I have posted in the first post and report back.

CC

Message 20 of 24
chascent
Luminary

Searay have you tried Kong DDWRT?

CC

Message 21 of 24
TheEther
Guru

@01R

Can you describe what features you enabled with AsusWRT-Merlin?  Some of them will force the router to disable CTF and FA (basically, hardware-assisted forwarding).  This may explain the poor performance.

I haven't seen any complaints about Xbox on the main Asuswrt-Merlin on Netgear R7000 thread.  The link points to one person who had a positive experience with his Xbox.

Message 22 of 24
TheEther
Guru

Just an update on my experience running Asuswrt-Merlin version 378.56_2.  I watched with growing alarm as memory usage climbed from 48 MB (about 19% of total) to over 150 MB (60%) over the course of 6 days.  Well, something happened because memory usage just dropped back down to 50 MB.  And, no, the router didn't crash and reboot because the update is still 6 days.

So, I guess this version is working well.  I'm a happy camper.

Message 23 of 24
coco1458
Aspirant

I'm not going to lie, quite weird seeing the firmware not clear itself, mine always seems to keep steady relative to workload, but I guess it is a pretty solid firmware

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements