This new Nighthawk WiFi Router looks really great, but...

Lethalla
Novice

This new Nighthawk WiFi Router looks really great, but...

Hi all,

I'm really interested in the new X6 WiFi Router, but since it has no modem in it... I don't know what to do. I currently have a 3-4 yo Netgear 24G, which is starting to require frequent resets, and of which the range doesn't extend through half my house (and the modem extender I bought just seems to cause more connection problems than with just the 24G alone).

The major drawback is that modems that are not also routers are thin on the ground - not to mention that they would be slow, rendering the X6 a waste of money.
Now, I'm not terribly technically minded when it comes to things like this, but is it possible to connect a Modem-Router to a WiFi Router, fairly painlessly? A salesman I spoke to about the X6 said it wasn't. So my next question is, if it's NOT possible, or it's going to prove too difficult for the average layman (ie me) to do, just WHAT would you connect this X6 WiFi Router to?

Thanks for any advice!
[Note: I live in Australia, where internet is slower than a wet week. And in my area we're still on ADSL 2+.]
Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: This new Nighthawk WiFi Router looks really great, but...

but is it possible to connect a Modem-Router to a WiFi Router, fairly painlessly? A salesman I spoke to about the X6 said it wasn't.

Yes and now.. Router is design to setup easily but in technically most user do not install correctly between broadband and router. People who just use for simple internet, incorrect setups will still works.

See router setup on my sig below on how you should be setting up
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 8
Lethalla
Novice

Thanks for your response, though evidently I'm a total techie noob because I didn't understand any of that.
My current Netgear 24G is a modem-router so didn't really require much setup and I'm not seeing how your setup instructions show how to connect a second router?

I'm thinking maybe I should just buy the Netgear D6300 modem-router instead, but looking at its specs (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) it's the same speed as my current 3 year old modem router? Or more probably I don't understand that either.
-_-
Message 3 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you had DSL then by replacing the exiting router with R7000 should be simple
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 8
fordem
Mentor

Call your ISP, they most likely offer a modem/router that they can place in "bridge" mode which will allow it to be used as just a modem. My ISPs modem can be used a router, but when it's delivered it's in "bridge-mode", so it can be used with any router. Now let me ask you this question - do you think there would be as many routers-without-modems on the market if there was no way to get them to work with a modem-that-wasn't-also-a-router?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 5 of 8
Lethalla
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
If you had DSL then by replacing the exiting router with R7000 should be simple

In Australia we don't have "DSL" or "Cable" modems, we just have "modems". IDK why. Confirmed by Netgear on Twitter overnight that it's the standard here.

fordem wrote:
Call your ISP, they most likely offer a modem/router that they can place in "bridge" mode which will allow it to be used as just a modem.

My ISPs modem can be used a router, but when it's delivered it's in "bridge-mode", so it can be used with any router.

Ok thanks, I'll try them.

Now let me ask you this question - do you think there would be as many routers-without-modems on the market if there was no way to get them to work with a modem-that-wasn't-also-a-router?

Good point... though I wonder how many people will be put off by the fact that it's not an all-in-one? One wonders why they didn't simultaneously release a modem to go with it. Unless it's BECAUSE most people would get a modem from their ISP? I only have my own because the initial ADSL connection was set up by my work and they provided the modem - and then I upgraded to what I have now.

Thanks for your help.
Message 6 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Not sure why you mentioned D6300 if you don't have DSL in your areas

In any case installation should not be that difficult

So what ISP you are using ?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 8
fordem
Mentor

Lethalla wrote:
In Australia we don't have "DSL" or "Cable" modems, we just have "modems". IDK why. Confirmed by Netgear on Twitter overnight that it's the standard here.

I only have my own because the initial ADSL connection was set up by my work and they provided the modem - and then I upgraded to what I have now.

The term modem is an "all encompassing" one - it doesn't specify what type of modem, but, for most broadband users, it will either be cable or DSL - Australia has both - Bigpond & Optus are cable providers, Telestra & Optus are DSL providers, just to name a couple.

You say you have an ADSL connection - ADSL is Asymmetric DSL - the upload & download speeds are different (which is the norm with most internet providers), but at the end of the day, what you're using is DSL.

Good point... though I wonder how many people will be put off by the fact that it's not an all-in-one?

Personally, I will always opt for a separate modem & router - in fact - I am running a separate modem, router & wireless access point, even though the router has integrated wireless - this gives me unparalleled flexibility - I get to choose the best products for my needs, install them in the optimal location, and I don't need to replace the entire kit & caboodle if one part fails.

Many WiFi router installations provide mediocre performance because the router is sitting in a corner of the house where the phone or cable connection is, rather than in a central location which would be best for WiFi coverage - my access point is centrally located and the one cable that connects to it to provide both power & data is not visible - try that with an all-in-one.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E