Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Three Nighthawk R7000 routers aren't working

Wendingo
Follower

Three Nighthawk R7000 routers aren't working

I purchased my first Nighthawk R7000 in 2016, had lots of issues and, as per Netgear's recommendation purchased another one and then one more. The last router I bought less than a year ago but all of them are having the same issue: they're dropping the connection!
Netgear suggested I connect all three in a bridge mode... Doing so did absolutely nothing. No matter where I place the router, how many routers I use, what channel I'm on or how may times I update the software and do a complete master reset, when I turn on my surface either all of them or two out of three stop transmitting, refuse to let me log in and require to be manually reset.
I played with various settings, such as turning off Ipv6, using different ac channels, turning off 2.4ghz altogether, disconnecting one or even two of the routers, it seems that the culprit is the hardware Netgear used in these routers.
My apartment isn't big enough to even need two and yet, netgear made me buy THREE routers, promising me that the issue will go away once there is enough bandwidth and signal available.
Now, I have three useless broken routers and, the last time I contacted Netgear, after suggesting a factory reset they told me that my apartment might need a totally new AX router. I HAVE THREE COMPUTERS AND TWO TABLETS! WHY DO I NEED AN AX ROUTER?!
I am reaching out not to Netgear but to Netgear's customers who might share (or shared) my unfortunate situation with a request for help because it's extremely annoying to reset one or more routers ten, fifteen times every day. Netgear is no help, even when I reach them all they suggest is that I should buy more of their products because one or three of their products was purchased a few years ago. Also, just throwing it out there, it's kind of crappy that $200+ routers don't last even five years before they begin to steadily ruin lives of those who made a mistake to buy them.

If anyone has a solution please let me know.
I have a 300 mbps fios connection, three pc's and two tablets. I also connect two phones but the situation doesn't change no matter how many routers I use or which one I connect to FIOS modem.

I did master reset, fios replaced their modem, tried new cables... Wireless channels, woth/without Ipv6, with/out dhcp, nothing I do helps and I don't know how to fix it. I can't afford to replace all three routers right now so if anyone has any ideas please let me know!!! Thank you!
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: Three Nighthawk R7000 routers aren't working

> Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router

Firmware version?  What, exactly, did you connect to what, exactly?
(Hint: If a device has different types of Ethernet ports, then
"connected to device" is not enough detail.)  How are they configured?

> [...] they're dropping the connection!

What does that mean?  _Which_ "the connection"?  A wired/wireless
connection to the R7000, or a connection to the Internet, or what?  As
usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results
(error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] Netgear suggested I connect all three in a bridge mode... [...]

That makes no sense to me.  Do you mean "bridge mode" as the term is
used in the R7000 User Manual, or wireless access point mode, or what?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "bridge".

> [...] Doing so did absolutely nothing. [...]

What does that mean?  Did nothing different?  Did nothing?  Which
kind of "nothing"?  Did the LEDs all go dark?

> [...] the situation doesn't change no matter how many routers I use or
> which one I connect to FIOS modem.

What, exactly, is your "FIOS modem"?  Is it a "modem", or a
modem+router, or a router, or what?

> I did master reset, [...]

What, exactly, does "master reset" mean to you?  What does Netgear
call what you did?  (See the User Manual.)

> [...] fios replaced their modem, [...]

With another of the same (unspecified) devices, or some different
(unspecified) device?

Do devices which are connected directly to your (unspecified) "FIOS
modem" keep their "connection" when devices which are connected to an
R7000 lose their "connection"?

> If anyone has a solution please let me know.

I don't yet know what the problem is.

Message 2 of 3
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Re: Three Nighthawk R7000 routers aren't working

I've probably said it more than a dozen times on this forum, but isn't it strange how almost all of the issues relating to the R7000 AC1900 router appear to be in the US? I'm in the UK and I've had absolutely no problems with this router model since I purchased it in February 2020. Every firmware update has been trouble free, it's never once dropped connections on 2.4 or 5ghz (except for when my ISP has suffered an outage, rare, but it happens).

I've used at least 4 different fully integrated modem ISP routers, none of which are as good as the R7000 AC1900 running alongside my Draytek Vigor modem. The range on my R7000 is better than any ISP router I've used, plus, certainly this year, it's had plenty of updates. I've also still got a very old Netgear router in a box in my loft that still works, but is now a tech dinosaur lol!

Most of the issues I read of folks in the UK who have problems with the R7000 AC1900, are those that have failed to read the technical description, i.e. the router doesn't have an integrated modem, so they try and set it up and wonder why they can't get it to work. I appreciate and accept that this undoubtedly isn't the problem for this OP, but it happens. Also these same folks don't understand that different ISP's use different settings, such as PPPoE/PPPoA etc, so the modem has to be set up to reflect those settings.

I also appreciate ISP's in the US and in other parts of the world may use different systems, but I just can't understand how this particular model of router is so widely complained about in the US, but then this is a very US centric forum, so that probably answers my own question.

And to the OP, did Netgear actually make you buy 3 routers? I would hazzard a guess they didn't in any way make you buy three routers, you did that all by yourself because they apparently suggested you buy more of their products? Why would you do that? You are a free thinking being, you're free to make your own decisions. Listening to someone who's never even been inside your apartment and doesn't know what your environmental conditions are, hasn't quite frankly, got a clue as to whether or not something is going to work for you, it's that simple!

I sincerely hope you sort your problems out, but perhaps it's time to stop blaming Netgear and look elsewhere if their equipment isn't working for you.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7