Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Throttled speeds? Nighthawk X8 R8500

Spreadsheet08
Aspirant

Throttled speeds? Nighthawk X8 R8500

Hey all,

I have an R8500 Nighthawk X8 router, and seem to be having throttling issues (or so I think). I recently upgraded my Spectrum internet from 200mbps to 400mbps and do not seem to be getting anywhere near those speeds from my 5GHz wifi. Just to give some context, I have a small place so I am not that far from the router, and I was pulling 230ish over wifi on my 200mbps Spectrum internet plan. Since the upgrade, the most I am getting is about 220-297mbps on my 400mbps plan.

It should be noted that I did a hardwire test directly from my SB6190 modem to a laptop and got 456mbps. I also ran a speedtest on the QoS page on routerlogin and its seeing 435mbps in its speed test... any ideas on what is going on here? Any help would be appreciated, not sure what to try next. Nothing special is configured with my router, it's basically on factory settings except for the custom SSID/passwords and no guest networks.

• Restarted router - no change
  • Updated firmware to V1.0.2.144
  • Enabled QoS - no change
  • Disabled QoS - no change
  • Enabled IPv6  - no change
  • Did a reset via the PIN hole on the back (factory settings) - no change
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Throttled speeds? Nighthawk X8 R8500

@Spreadsheet08 wrote:

I have an R8500 Nighthawk X8 router, and seem to be having throttling issues (or so I think). I recently upgraded my Spectrum internet from 200mbps to 400mbps and do not seem to be getting anywhere near those speeds from my 5GHz wifi.

Wifi speeds bear very little relation to your Internet speed. Going for a faster service may do nothing for your wifi. That is down to the various clients and your router.

The only way to test the Internet speed is with a wired connection and to compare what come out of the modem with what comes out of the router.

@Spreadsheet08 wrote:

It should be noted that I did a hardwire test directly from my SB6190 modem to a laptop and got 456mbps.

What do you get with the laptop wired to the router?

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Is this "slow" 5GHz causing you any real issues? If, so you should find ways to wire into the router.

Message 2 of 5
Spreadsheet08
Aspirant

I can confirm that my speed test from the router to the laptop measures around 456mbps, I understand wired and wifi speeds differ quite a bit. The wifi speeds themselves are not giving me any issues, I would just like to take advantage of the extra speeds I have been given (I download a lot).

Is there really anything else I can do in this situation?

Message 3 of 5

@Spreadsheet08 wrote:

The wifi speeds themselves are not giving me any issues, I would just like to take advantage of the extra speeds I have been given (I download a lot).

Forget about trying to achieve the impossible and make your wifi go faster. Download over a wired connection and all will be fine.

To get faster wifi you may have to buy a router with faster wifi technology along with wifi clients with faster wifi technology.

All this is explained in the page I linked to.

One way to test your wifi devices is to try them on wifi sources somewhere else, anywhere else. If they are a lot faster somewhere else, then you may be able to squeeze more speed out of your local wifi. But don't hold your breath.

Message 4 of 5
Spreadsheet08
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Spreadsheet08 wrote:

The wifi speeds themselves are not giving me any issues, I would just like to take advantage of the extra speeds I have been given (I download a lot).

Forget about trying to achieve the impossible and make your wifi go faster. Download over a wired connection and all will be fine.

To get faster wifi you may have to buy a router with faster wifi technology along with wifi clients with faster wifi technology.

All this is explained in the page I linked to.

One way to test your wifi devices is to try them on wifi sources somewhere else, anywhere else. If they are a lot faster somewhere else, then you may be able to squeeze more speed out of your local wifi. But don't hold your breath.

I appreciate your response, but you're making it sound like it's completely out of the realm of possibility for this router to broadcast wifi speeds over 300mbps - maybe it is, I don't know for sure... but I have seen other posts saying they get 700-900mbps on wifi out of this exact router. 

Just to confirm, my devices have gotten about 900mbps on other networks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7