Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time synchronized with NTP server

mvanderbijl
Initiate

Time synchronized with NTP server

Since a couple, perhaps several weeks (i work during the day) i have the problem that the router is losing connection, and comes back up after about 5 minutes. 
This is not how it is supposed to work and the problem lies with the NTP Settings.
Everytime this happens; [Time synchronized with NTP server] Time/date  i lose connection.

This seem to happen twice a day if not more.

i read alot of others having the same problems, i tried setting the NTP to ntp3.cs.wisc.edu but without succes.

it is now back on the default and the problems keep on going.

I have a R7000 nighthawk running the latest firmware; V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

please help.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mvanderbijl
Initiate

i now used one of these, (i'm Dutch)

ntp0.nl.net [193.67.79.202] (UUNet) Publiek
ntp1.nl.net (193.79.237.14) Location: NLnet, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
ntp2.nl.net (193.79.237.30) Location: NLnet, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
ntp0.sara.nl [194.151.112.2] (Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam) Universiteiten
ntp.xs4all.nl [194.109.6.65] (XS4ALL)
ntp.demon.nl [194.159.73.44] (Demon Internet)

the first one in particular. using the name did not work, it said: cannot connect. (DNS problem?)
I used the ip address and it seems to get it. now to see if the problems stay away.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mvanderbijl
Initiate

i now used one of these, (i'm Dutch)

ntp0.nl.net [193.67.79.202] (UUNet) Publiek
ntp1.nl.net (193.79.237.14) Location: NLnet, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
ntp2.nl.net (193.79.237.30) Location: NLnet, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
ntp0.sara.nl [194.151.112.2] (Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam) Universiteiten
ntp.xs4all.nl [194.109.6.65] (XS4ALL)
ntp.demon.nl [194.159.73.44] (Demon Internet)

the first one in particular. using the name did not work, it said: cannot connect. (DNS problem?)
I used the ip address and it seems to get it. now to see if the problems stay away.

Message 2 of 3
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@mvanderbijl wrote:

.........I have a R7000 nighthawk running the latest firmware; V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

You certainly aren't on the latest firmware, you're two firmware upgrades behind.

And before anyone jumps in and tells you not to bother upgrading your firmware because some claim Netgear's firmware is somehow borked, I'll tell you there are R7000 AC1900 router owners that haven't had any issues at all. I think it very much depends on where you are in the world. I'm in the UK and I've not had any problems.

Here's the link for the latest firmware should you wish to try it:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062112/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-106

My recommendation though, DO NOT upgrade over WiFi and indeed I'd recommend disabling WiFi in the router GUI before you commence any firmware upgrade. It's up to you though, it's your kit. Don't forget to do a reboot before the upgrade. That's a reboot, not a full factory reset, the two are different. There shouldn't be any need to do a full factory reset. I certainly haven't done that with the last 3 firmware upgrades I've done:

As for NTP settings, I stopped using Netgear's default NTP server not long after I bought my router. I found a NTP server transmitting from a University here in the UK and I haven't had any NTP server dropouts at all.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7