Re: Top NETGEAR Support FAQs - Router Login, Firmware & More

Wakemaker
Initiate

Re: Rif.: Top NETGEAR Support FAQs - Router Login, Firmware & More

If you wanted your customers to do updates the proper way which is not using the phone app which you should never do!  THEN THE BEST WAY TO DO THAT IS BY NOT PUTTING THAT IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL MORONS!!! Netgear used to make good routers  that would get firmware updates that didn't break functionality of the device.  Now I'm afraid to get any updates for fear of having to re-flash an older out of date firmware with security issues just to keep the internet working!  I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER PEICE OF JUNK PRODUCT FROM NETGEAR!!! AND YOUR SUPPORT SUCKS!!!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 51 of 69
Ivanjmiller
Aspirant

Don’t use app to set it up. Computer works best.

In fact app wouldn’t even see router after firmware updates.

Next set limit speeds for your internet under advance.

Never had a problem again, until next firmware update.

😂
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 52 of 69
Ivanjmiller
Aspirant

Use computer not app
Message 53 of 69
Ivanjmiller
Aspirant

Also cable modems are basically setup from cable company. Just reset to factory and turn off for over 30 seconds. Works every time for me.
Message 54 of 69
Ivanjmiller
Aspirant

So true!
Message 55 of 69
Ivanjmiller
Aspirant

Factory Reset, turn off and it works every time.
Message 56 of 69
Ivanjmiller
Aspirant

Yes, only use computer, app is for fun.
Message 57 of 69
Ivanjmiller
Aspirant

Don’t use app use a computer, worked for me.
Message 58 of 69
Ivanjmiller
Aspirant

Use your computer not app.
Message 59 of 69
ryandward
Aspirant

I am a bit startled that NETGEAR has decided to put an advertisement for the app inside of the router administration tools. Is there any option to disable this? I paid for the device and do not appreciate this kind of tactic.

Screenshot from 2021-02-07 15-34-57.png

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 60 of 69

@ryandward wrote:

I am a bit startled that NETGEAR has decided to put an advertisement for the app inside of the router administration tools. Is there any option to disable this?

That is not an advertisement. Netgear is just trying to keep you up to date on its services.

Start complaining when it tries to sell you a Big Mac.

Is the Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0 listed in your footer involved in this in anyway? Or did you just click the first thing that popped up when you wrote your message? Or maybe you were trying to advertise something.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 61 of 69
CambriaMike
Aspirant

Do I still risk bricking my router during a firmware update?

Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 62 of 69
rrahm
Aspirant

firmware update version 1.3.2.134 failed to complete. Now i'm unable to connect to router by WiFi or wired connection. Network diagnostics say's IP address is invalid. Amber power light continually flashes. A solution would be appreciated

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 63 of 69

@CambriaMike wrote:

Do I still risk bricking my router during a firmware update?

There's always some risk, but you can reduce the probability of that happening by doing a manual upgrade:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Avoid using wifi and the built in update process.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 64 of 69

@rrahm wrote:

firmware update version 1.3.2.134 failed to complete. Now i'm unable to connect to router by WiFi or wired connection. Network diagnostics say's IP address is invalid. Amber power light continually flashes. A solution would be appreciated

You don't say what you did and what happened – "failed to complete" could mean many things –   but it sounds like corrupt firmware.

If a standard factory reset fails, there is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
    • Keep pressing reset while removing power
    • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it you could try a web search for videos that guide you through the process.

For example:

Different device, but the approach is the same.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Just another user.

Message 65 of 69
CambriaMike
Aspirant

What is the downside of NOT upgrading my firmware? Seems like the risk of bricking it isn't worth the risk.

Message 66 of 69

@CambriaMike wrote:

What is the downside of NOT upgrading my firmware?

You end up with a router with out of date firmware that lacks security updates, possible bug fixes and any new features that might get throw into the mix.

@CambriaMike wrote:

Seems like the risk of bricking it isn't worth the risk.

The vast majority of updates are trouble free and painless. (Never seen a problem here in decades.) You only read about them when they go wrong. A bit like getting on a plane, it only makes the headlines after a crash.

Fearful souls might like to wait a bit after new firmware appears. Let the enthusiasts put it through its paces before taking the plunge.

Just another user.

Message 67 of 69
MauleGuy
Star

Ok, I am running my R7900 on Firmware Version V1.0.4.30_10.0.49 and just got a message to upgrade to 10.0.50.  The router is connected to my Windows 10 64 bit desktop via ethernet. 

I see from the Security Advisory page dated 01/21/2021 that there was an update issued for firmware versions prior to 10.0.38.

I see on my Routerlogin page that the .50 update is available to update.

Can anyone tell me what this update does?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 68 of 69

@MauleGuy wrote:

Can anyone tell me what this update does?

If there is nothing substantial in the release notes, it will be one of those anonymous "security updates".

Like many IT businesses, Netgear doesn't go into fine detail of security updates for obvious reasons. They don't want to tip off the villains about things that are not fixed on devices that don't have the update.

Just another user.

Message 69 of 69
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements