Traffic Meter on Nighthawk R8000P Cuts Bandwidth In Half!

Martin1781
Aspirant

Traffic Meter on Nighthawk R8000P Cuts Bandwidth In Half!

I have a Fios gigabit internet connection along with the R800P router.  Running a speedtest on any reputable site returns results of about 450Mbps both up and down (with the traffic meter turned on).  Turn off the traffic meter and results jump to 900Mbps.  It's consistent regardless of which speed test site I use.  I think it is absolutely absurd that the traffic meter has essentially cut my bandwidth in half when enabled.  Does Netgear even bother to test these "features" prior to releasing them??

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

Re: Traffic Meter on Nighthawk R8000P Cuts Bandwidth In Half!

No, Netgear does not test.

I had Netgear L2 support tell me that they could not replicate a bug I had reported.  Well, I pushed back hard and come to turn out, L2 had never tried to replicate my bug because they did not have Gigabit internet connections.  So "could not replicate" did not mean they tried, it meant they were incapable of testing it.

And then I had to politely explain to them that if they just put the test router inside a Gigabit LAN, that the LAN becomes the WAN to the test router and THAT is how they could test Gigabit speeds on the TEST router.

Message 2 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

For whatever it is worth...  Traffic Meter on the R7800 with .68 firmware reduces 941 Mbps to 680 Mbps

Message 3 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

Bizarre. Went back to test R7800 with traffic meter on, with multiple concurrent downloads, only to find single download speed test was now fast (941 Mbps).  I wonder if turning on traffic meter kicked off some activity on the router (that finished later).

It is a real pain, but maybe try latest firmware and a full factory reset, and reconfigure (the hope being that Netgear fixed some bug).

Message 4 of 9
Martin1781
Aspirant

Thanks but already tried that.  Flashed the latest firmware then did a full factory reset.  Exact same result.  Turning on the traffic meter cuts my bandwidth to around 450Mbps.  Turning it off and the speed test returns 900Mbps both up and down.  Was a pain to have to input all my settings again after the factory reset, but at least I now know for sure what the issue is.

Message 5 of 9
Martin1781
Aspirant

And I had been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out for months (so the router had plenty of time to potentially finish whatever process it had started by flipping on the traffic meter), why I was only getting roughly half the bandwidth I was paying for.  I was convinced the isue was on Verizon's end. But before I called Verizon to troubleshoot, since I knew they were going to ask me to do it, I simply did a test of connecting my desktop directly to the ONT and did a speed test.  Imagine my surprise when my speedtest results went from 450 to 900.   

So that pretty much implicated the router. Thinking it was some anomaly from applying all the firmware updates over the past two years, figured it was probably time to just do a factory reset and enter all my settings from scratch (even though that would take me at least an hour or two to do, especially with inputting all my IP address reservations).  So I did the factory reset and as soon as the router acquired an internet connection but before I inputed all my settings, I did a speed test and got the 900Mbps result.  So I figured, indeed, it just needed a factory reset.  I then proceeded to input all my settings, did a reboot of the router, and did a speed test again.  Went down to 450.  Feeling frustrated, I then methodically went back and reversed every settings 1 by 1 that I had changed from the default factory reset.  Finally narrowed it down to the traffic meter.  Did multiple tests where I flipped the traffic meter on and off and it was always about 450Mbps with the meter on, and about 900Mbps with the meter off.

I'm glad I finally figured it out but am definitely disappointed with Netgear they didn't fully test this feature prior to release and that they cost me all that time from me having to troubleshoot.

Message 6 of 9
labatt
Mentor

Traffic meter means the router needs to inspect the data packets. This means that CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) is now off. With CTF off traffic is now handled by cpu and there is not enough horse power in the router when on high speed links. Many of Netgear's routers and firmware were develeoped before folks could easily get gig Internet. 

QoS suffers from the same issues. Difference is with QoS you can typically turn it of if you have an Internet down of 250Mbps or higher. 

Message 7 of 9
Martin1781
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanation. I'm fine with all of that, but feel Netgear nshould have included some kind of note in their release notes saying enabling the traffic meter can cause some level of degradation of service or loss of bandwidth.  But to say nothing or not even test for how the "feature" impacts performance is sloppy/poor customer service IMO (especially for a higher end router).

Message 8 of 9
labatt
Mentor

Totally agree. Would not be that hard for them to add I would think. Or at least have it in the user manual that if you implement this setting it will impact throughput. As I said, I think we are seeing older firmware/hardware tech that was developed before gig Internet was readily available being forced into high speed performance space. Router can do it if the pieces that can cause slowdowns are not implimented.  

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E