Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Traffic meter DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME BUG (R7800)

I turn on the traffic meter and then use an automated program to pull traffic usage several times a day from all of my routers.  All of a sudden the traffic meter on the R7800 says "0" for all statistics.  I tried remotely going to the router and turning metering off, and then back on, but it did not work.  Still "0" for everything.

Of course a full reset would probably solve this, but I am not phsically at that router.

Netgear (@ChristineT), please take notice.  There is some serious time bug in the traffic meter.  This clearly has something to do with daylight saving time, because that is when problems started.  And on the router traffic page, it says the start of the month is one hour into the previous month (11pm the last day of Feb).

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Traffic meter DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME BUG (R7800)

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Guru

Others are seeing this as well:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-49sf.45296/#post-388793

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Confirmed. Netgear Daylight Saving Time bug.

Go into Schedule and uncheck "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time" and the traffic stats came back (but the numbers are a little corrupted).

@ChristineT, please have developers fix this bug, OK?

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted

Good morning @duckware,

This is an interesting find!! I was actually trying to see if this same issue affects other models as well. Thanks for the update on this issue. I'll submit to engineering for further debugging.

Best Regards,

Christine

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted

Hello @FURRYe38,

Thank you for including the additional reports of this issue! I've passed that along as well! 

Best Regards,

Christine

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Guru

One user meantioned this and his stats came back:

Turn off "adjust for daylight savings time"

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Apprentice

The problem with the traffic meter is not limited to R7800. I have an R7000 with the same (or similar) problem. My time zone is Central European Time. If I use CET, the traffic meter looses yesterday’s data just after midnight (around 00:30). Then about 12 hours later, just after noon, yesterday’s data is back! If I use GMT, the data is ok and I don’t see this problem. But if I use GMT and daylight savings time, I have this problem. So I use GMT only, which is ok for me.

Then there is a problem with data being zeroed at random times during a month (but not every month). For example, yesterday the data was ok, but today both yesterdays and this week’s data were zeroed. It has been going on like this for years, no matter which firmware I use, hard resets, etc. Now I have version 1.0.9.26.

About a year ago, I contacted Support about this. They gave me a debug version, and I supplied them with the logs which showed what and when this happened (but not the random data loss which is more difficult to document). I assume the data loss must be caused by a buffer overflow or data being overwritten.

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@ChristineT, why was Netgear engineering NOT notified of this bug?

I ask because I just received an email from "Rose, Expert ID: 8319", stating that engineering would only be notified of this bug after I provide (a ton of unnecessary) information.  Like the S/N of my router and "the brand and model number of your router".

The brand of my router.  The BRAND of my router.  The BRAND OF MY ROUTER.

Really!? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Netgear-technical-support-incompetence/m-p/1...

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@ChristineT, why is "Rose, Expert ID: 8319" asking questions there were answered here!  It appears that Netgear has done NOTHING to fix this bug.  Sad.

Message 10 of 10