Reply

Re: Traffic meter resets every day

sakshay
Aspirant

Traffic meter resets every day

Hi,

 

I know this issue has been posted before but I haven't come across a solution yet. I'm creating a fresh discussion because I don't want to revive old ones

 

In my case, traffic monitor worked initially with 1.0.6.28. But after a couple of months of use, it started resetting every day.

 

Recently, due to some other issues, I downgraded (or upgraded, I'm not entirely sure) to 1.0.5.70 then all the way down to 1.0.4.30 and back up to 1.0.5.70. I performed a factory reset both before and after each of those transitions. However, the problem with the traffic meter has persisted after each flash.

 

The solutions I have come across are:

  1. Perform a factory reset - I've done this about 6 times. Doesn't help.
  2. Re-flash firmware - Done that.
  3. Netgear's NTP server may not be accessible - It is. The time shown on the traffic meter page is correct.

 

Is there a solution?

 

Do let me know if any more information is required from my end.

 

Thanks,

Akshay

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Traffic meter resets every day

I've been using 1.0.5.70 since it was released. My usage is within 2GB of my ISP's month to date. They reset on last day of the month I'm guessing around 9 pm.

 

I don't see any issue with traffic meter.

Message 2 of 11
sakshay
Aspirant

Re: Traffic meter resets every day


@searay wrote:

I've been using 1.0.5.70 since it was released. My usage is within 2GB of my ISP's month to date. They reset on last day of the month I'm guessing around 9 pm.

 

I don't see any issue with traffic meter.


Thanks for your reply.

 

I'm not saying that the issue is specific to 1.0.5.70. I've had this problem on 1.0.4.30 and 1.0.6.28 as well.

 

How heavily does the traffic meter rely on system time? Is it possible that on system reboot or DSL reconnect, the counter gets reset before the router can complete the DSL connection and then fetch the correct time from the NTP server?

 

Assuming that I'm the only one facing this issue, how would I go about debugging the problem?

 

Again, if you need any more information, please let me know.

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Traffic meter resets every day

In my experience, the total monthly usage only resets when either the reset date and time selected is reached or the reset counter now link is selected.

 

I have changed FW versions and reset to defaults and the total usage before is unchanged. If you're one who uses a backup to restore settings this could be why if the counter got corrupted along the way, it's likely the back-up carried forward the problem.

 

As for time question I don't think it make a difference.

Message 4 of 11
sakshay
Aspirant

Re: Traffic meter resets every day


@searay wrote:

In my experience, the total monthly usage only resets when either the reset date and time selected is reached or the reset counter now link is selected.

 

I have changed FW versions and reset to defaults and the total usage before is unchanged. If you're one who uses a backup to restore settings this could be why if the counter got corrupted along the way, it's likely the back-up carried forward the problem.

 

As for time question I don't think it make a difference.


 

I do not use backups. Setting up the router from scratch takes just about 20 minutes. So I prefer to do it the hard way, just to make sure that issues from a previous firmware are not carried over.

 

What you've described is the expected behaviour. And that is exactly how it worked for a couple of months before it stopped working.

 

I did notice that the usage was carried over, despite multiple resets, while switching from 1.0.4.30 to 1.0.5.70. Thanks for pointing it out. Which means that the traffic count is being stored in an area of onboard storage that is not affected by a master reset. Is it possible that, that specific area was somehow corrupted by 1.0.6.28 and the corruption has survived all these flashes and resets?

 

I suppose, it would be possible to erase nvram via telnet. But apparently, telnet has been disabled now and a 30-30-30 reset doesn't work.

 

Thanks for taking the time to try and help. I really do appreciate it.

Message 5 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Traffic meter resets every day

You're welcome,

I wonder if trying a 3rd world FW and then coming back to OEM FW would clear the effected memory.

Message 6 of 11
sakshay
Aspirant

Re: Traffic meter resets every day


@searay wrote:

You're welcome,

I wonder if trying a 3rd world FW and then coming back to OEM FW would clear the effected memory.


 

I'm sure, that could be a possible solution to my woes... 😄

 

But in that case I might stick with DD-WRT instead of coming back to stock. I haven't done that yet because my router is still under warranty.

Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Traffic meter resets every day

If under warranty contact support for an replacement

Message 8 of 11
sakshay
Aspirant

Re: Traffic meter resets every day

I've heard nothing but horror stories about support in India. I certainly wouldn't consider asking for a replacement unless it was a problem, I simply couldn't live with.

 

As you pointed out, the meter is not cleared with a master reset. Therefore it must be stored somewhere that is not affected by a reset. So, I manually restarted the counter last night, hoping that any issues will be scrubbed out that way. The meter seems to be running alright so far (12 hours). I'll let you know how it holds up.

Message 9 of 11
sakshay
Aspirant

Re: Traffic meter resets every day


@sakshay wrote:

I've heard nothing but horror stories about support in India. I certainly wouldn't consider asking for a replacement unless it was a problem, I simply couldn't live with.

 

As you pointed out, the meter is not cleared with a master reset. Therefore it must be stored somewhere that is not affected by a reset. So, I manually restarted the counter last night, hoping that any issues will be scrubbed out that way. The meter seems to be running alright so far (12 hours). I'll let you know how it holds up.


 

That didn't help either...

 

Screenshot from 2016-07-22 09-45-27.png
 

Message 10 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Traffic meter resets every day

@sakshay Have you tried the latest beta firmware 1.0.6.54?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3076 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E