Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transfer speed

Transfer speed

I have a Nighthawk R7000 router. To the usb 3.0 and the usb 2.0 port I connected a WD Elements 3.0 usb hdd and a WD Passport 2.0 usb hdd. It worked flawless.

While experimenting I discovered that when I connect an usb 2.0 hub to the usb 3.0 port the to the hub connected HDD's are also accessible over the network. Cool.

Coming to my question. The usb 2.0 hub will reduce the usb 3.0 hdd to usb 2.0 speed. Is it true that this doesn't matter anyway as the real botlleneck is the router's "wireless" speed. Which I pressume is slower than usb 2.0? 

Anyone who explain the different kind of speeds to me?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
mondenath
Prodigy

Re: Transfer speed

Yes when you connect a usb 2.0 hub it will downgrade.

The rated or idle transfer speed of R7000 is below

USB 2.0 Read 35MB/s  Write 28Mb/s

Usb 3.0 Read 70MB/s  Write 35Mb/s

These speeds are when devices connected to LAN port and read and write to usb 2.0/3.0

The wireless speed will vary based on 2x2 or 3x3 or 1x1 clients n or ac. Even at Idle the speed will match to LAN connected if you get the Maximum Link rate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
mondenath
Prodigy

Re: Transfer speed

Yes when you connect a usb 2.0 hub it will downgrade.

The rated or idle transfer speed of R7000 is below

USB 2.0 Read 35MB/s  Write 28Mb/s

Usb 3.0 Read 70MB/s  Write 35Mb/s

These speeds are when devices connected to LAN port and read and write to usb 2.0/3.0

The wireless speed will vary based on 2x2 or 3x3 or 1x1 clients n or ac. Even at Idle the speed will match to LAN connected if you get the Maximum Link rate.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7