Trigger DLNA rescan

routerperson
Aspirant

Trigger DLNA rescan

Anyone know how to trigger a DLNA rescan? Under Advanced > USB Functions > ReadySHARE Storage > Meda Server there are no longer any options related to scanning the media. Clicking the help center at the bottom of the screen reveals these instructions: 

Content Scan

Automatically update database Scans for Media files whenever new files are added to the ReadyShare USB Storage. Only shared folder with “All – no password” in Read Access can be scanned for Media files.
You can also click Rescan media files to delete current database and do a whole new scan immediately.

However, the settings interface described in these instructions (and shown on screenshots elsewhere) is not present.

I have enabled/reenabled DLNA and rebooted the router, but nothing ever appears. Apple iTunes Server works perfectly. DLNA presents itself on the network, but when you browse it (I've used VLC on Mac, PC, and iOS as well as good old Windows Media Center), no contents are found after descending into the Music subcategories for Artist, Genre, etc.

I am using an R6700v3 with firmward V1.0.3.66_10.0.50. 

Message 1 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Re: Trigger DLNA rescan

I've got an R8000 and had an R7000. Whenever I discovered problems in DLNA I did one of two things:

• Disconnected (with the power on using the SAFELY REMOVE option on the READYSHARE page) USB drive and then plugged it back in again. That might work.
  • The 'real' answer I discovered, DELETE the DATABASE! With the drive in delete the .ReadyDLNA folder. Disconnect the drive (like above) and plug it in again, it will then re-build the database. It is possible you might not need to remove the drive, different router f/w might work differently.

My problems were duplicated entries showing on a DLNA client, and the above worked for me.

Message 2 of 5
routerperson
Aspirant

Thank you for this. I did what you suggested, deleting the .ReadyDLNA folder and then safely unmounting the drive via the web interface, waiting several minutes, then unplugging. After 15 minutes, I plugged back in again and checked the drive. Iniitally the .ReadyDLNA folder was still missing, but after a few minutes, the folder was recreated. However, the newly created database remains empty: files.db is once again a tiny file of only 73KB, just as the prior one was before being deleted. I copied down the files.db and viewed it with a text editor and notice that, while all the headers are present, no music has been populated into the DB. Bear in mind that my music is served flawlessly over iTunes. The music is about 30GB of mp-three files (strange, Netgear Forum doesn't let me type MP# normally). I have restarted the router to no avail.

The only thing I can figure out is that it's just not scanning the media. I unlocked telnet and logged into the box, and reviewed the DLNA conf file, and it looks like you'd expect it to look. I don't understand...

Any other ideas?

Message 3 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@routerperson wrote:

Thank you for this. I did what you suggested, deleting the .ReadyDLNA folder and then safely unmounting the drive via the web interface, waiting several minutes, then unplugging. After 15 minutes, I plugged back in again and checked the drive. Iniitally the .ReadyDLNA folder was still missing, but after a few minutes, the folder was recreated. However, the newly created database remains empty: files.db is once again a tiny file of only 73KB, just as the prior one was before being deleted. I copied down the files.db and viewed it with a text editor and notice that, while all the headers are present, no music has been populated into the DB. Bear in mind that my music is served flawlessly over iTunes. The music is about 30GB of mp-three files (strange, Netgear Forum doesn't let me type MP# normally). I have restarted the router to no avail.

The only thing I can figure out is that it's just not scanning the media. I unlocked telnet and logged into the box, and reviewed the DLNA conf file, and it looks like you'd expect it to look. I don't understand...

Any other ideas?

Hmm, worked for me? I've got video's (from DVD's so I can share them on the TV) and pictures on the drive. It can take some time for the FILES.DB to be fully populated though? Mine is 148kb.

If you get DB Browser for SQL database (https://sqlitebrowser.org/) you can actually read the database.

One thing to try, take the drive to PC and run CHKDSK /F on it. Might have some problems on the drive stopping the cataloging?

Message 4 of 5
routerperson
Aspirant

I decided to come back to this issue again and decided to follow up on my situation, as the problem seems to be solved. Since my last post, my router updated itself to the lastest firmware, and I have installed a new hard drive. After installing the new hard drive, I noticed once again that, while the iTunes server was working correctly, nothing was appearing when trying to browse via a DLNA app (Media Player, VLC, etc.)

I re-enabled telnet using the popular enabler on GitHub (insanid/NetgearTelnetEnable) and, from a DOS prompt (not PowerShell), ran 

telnetEnable.exe 192.168.1.1 CC40D0F5AE82 adminusername adminpassword

That enabled it. I then logged in with

telnet 192.168.1.1

using my admin username and password and ran these commands:

kill -kill $(ps | grep minidlna.exe | grep -v grep | sed -e 's/^[ ]*//' | cut -d ' ' -f 1)
/usr/sbin/minidlna.exe -a 192.168.1.1/24 -f /tmp/minidlna.conf <&- >&- 2>&- &

I ran top in telnet and saw that the minidlna service began running at 15-25% CPU and that "files.db" in \\readyshare\shareddrive\.ReadyDLNA began to grow. This took about 45 minutes for my collection of several thousand songs. Copying the file to my local PC, I browsed the file with the portable version of sqlitebrowser.org and saw that my content was now in the databaseand my music wasnow presented in my iPhone's VLC player. Then I tried accessing it via WMP, and it hung. I noted that while I was waiting for WMP to display the content (siting there with "Contacting the remote media library..."), I noticed in top (still open in the telnet session) that the minidlna service was running at 20% CPU again, and the router proceeded to nearly completely hang on me. After restarting the router, I was able to browse and play my music on both WMP and iOS VLC. Can't say whether it will continue working or not, but I think this is progress. Thank you for the tips!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E