Trouble Streaming

jmabbot
Aspirant

Trouble Streaming

I am having issues streaming with my router and I don't have the Download QOS tab in my advanced settings.  I have no idea at this point how to fix my issue and it's frustrating.  My TV is a Roku TV that is wirelessly connected to my router.  The router sits like 2 fit from my TV.  Help!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Re: Trouble Streaming

So far all the info you provided isn't much help? Please explain in detail the issue, streaming isn't enough info.

QoS is its own tab. If you have a speed of over 2-300Mbps down it isn't needed either. It is also called Dynamic on later firmware.

So, what are you Streaming? NetFiix, some other streaming service? USB drive on Router DLNA server?

What SSID band on and what is the network wifi capability of the TV? Assuming you can used wired, is that better?

What firmware are you on?

Message 2 of 17
jmabbot
Aspirant

I'm streaming Netflix, Amazon Video, Slack Radio.  I Just started having issues with streaming, I've had the TV for well over a year.  

Where do I find the SSID?  

Firmware: V1.0.9.34_10.2.36

I can stream for 15-20 minutes at a time before I get a Unexpected Error msg or sometimes even Unsufficient Bandwidth.  

Message 3 of 17
IrvSp
Master

The TV would see the SSID... you have 2, the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID... the TV's network adapter when you set it up used one of these. If the device was dual-band you could select either, but if not, only the 2.4Ghz SSID could be used.

One question, has this ever worked without a problem?

What is the ISP's service for d/l?

Can you connect hard wired since you are so close?

Problems like that could be interference as well... depends on what channels are used around you. If on AUTO, move it to a high one and test.

Message 4 of 17
jmabbot
Aspirant

I've never had a problem with this until like a month ago.  Right now I have it connected with a cable but the port on the router is amber, not white like the rest of them.  What does that mean?  I can't find that answer anywhere.  

I have Comcast which I absolutely can't stand but have no other choice.  My d/l speed is suppose to be like 250mbps

Message 5 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Amber is 100Mbps cable, White is 1Gbps cable.

Hard wired it should be enough... problem could be either the ISP or even the TV. Wireless, who knows, unless you know the connection speed of the TV>

Message 6 of 17
jmabbot
Aspirant

Ah, guess I need to order a new cable then.  I swear I think it's Comcast but they say it's not them at all.

Message 7 of 17
jmabbot
Aspirant

From what I'm reading, my TV is suppose to be dual band wifi.

Message 8 of 17
antinode
Guru

> [...] Right now I have it connected with a cable but the port on the
> router is amber, not white like the rest of them.  What does that mean?
> I can't find that answer anywhere.

Where did you look?  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your
model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look
for "Table 1. LED descriptions".

> Ah, guess I need to order a new cable then. [...]

If the gizmo at the other end of the cable has a 10/100MHz interface,
then no cable will make any difference in the link rate (or the router's
port LED indicator color).  The data rate needed for streaming video
really isn't all that high.

> From what I'm reading, my TV [...]

The non-psychics in your audience may have very little idea what
you're reading, or what your "my TV" actually is.

Message 9 of 17

@jmabbot wrote:

My TV is a Roku TV that is wirelessly connected to my router.  The router sits like 2 fit from my TV.  Help!

Is this really a TV, or a TV with a Roku receiver?

If your TV is like my Samsung device, it has a LAN port as well as wifi.

If possible, LAN is better. It reduces the possibility of wifi interference and gives a fast link between the TV and the router.

And in my experience, LAN is also easier to set up than wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@jmabbot wrote:

If that is the case, put it on the 5Ghz SSID, less chance of interference.  If the wired network connect is a 10Mbps limit, wireless would/should be faster anyway. If it is 100Mbps, for NetFlix on 5Mbps is required for its HD service, so even the wired should do.

Only problem I see with all this is your claim it isn't one service but many.

Here is some help to find out at least the speed NetFilx sees. It has its own built-in speed test. See https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306, and on the bottom of the page are more troubleshooting link to follow.

Now if low,  we'll have to try and figure out why? One thing I'd do is connect the TV direct to the modem and test again for speed, that would be to rule out the ISP.

Message 11 of 17

@IrvSp wrote:

@jmabbot wrote:

If that is the case, put it on the 5Ghz SSID, less chance of interference.  If the wired network connect is a 10Mbps limit, wireless would/should be faster anyway. 

All of my Ethernet capable media devices do 100 Mbps.

I haven't see a 10Mbps LAN device in years. (Nothing from Netgear in more than a decade, and 100 Mbps all but disappeared about a decade.)

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 12 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

@jmabbot wrote:

If that is the case, put it on the 5Ghz SSID, less chance of interference.  If the wired network connect is a 10Mbps limit, wireless would/should be faster anyway. 

All of my Ethernet capable media devices do 100 Mbps.

I haven't see a 10Mbps LAN device in years. (Nothing from Netgear in more than a decade, and 100 Mbps all but disappeared about a decade.)

True, but I haven't seen any information from the OP that details anything with respect to an device? For all we know he had an old device (USB) sitting around and used that? I had a receiver once that had a plug-in USB to get NetFlix... and it was a G device.

Until more details are provided, we are all just guessing here. For all we know NetFlix that he uses is the 4K option, and that takes more bandwidth... and obiously more devices are 'doing things' as well. OP said other ports were white, but never said what was connected to them. Said it started a month ago, but we don't know if he upgraded the f/w then? As for the TV, it isn't just NetFlix either, so it is either the TV (unspecified) Roku, network adapter, cable, other uses of router at same time, or possibly the modem? Very limited information has been provided.

Message 13 of 17
jmabbot
Aspirant

It is an actual Roku TV.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGC39VM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ethernet cable is probably old.  Just one I had sitting around.  Nothing has changed.  Same TV, same router, same everything.  The only thing being used when the TV is on is a tablet but that's it.  

Message 14 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Run the SPEED TEST in NetFlix... that TV is 4K capable, are you trying to get that from NetFlix?

Did you update the Router Firmware and then had this problem start?

Message 15 of 17
jmabbot
Aspirant

Well crap, not sure when I updated the firmware.  It was recently I believe.  I'll do the speed test tonight when I get home.  Is it easy to find within Netflix? Never knew that was an option.

Message 16 of 17
antinode
Guru

> It is an actual Roku TV. [...]

It's an actual TCL TV.

https://www.tclusa.com/catalog/archived/55us5800
      https://www.tclusa.com/sites/default/files/2017-04/Final_55US5800%20UM.pdf

Preparing for Internet connectivity
      [...]
      [...] The wired connection supports both 10 and 100 Base-T Ethernet

> The ethernet cable is probably old. [...]

So is 100MHz Ethernet.  If you got any port LED color at all, then
the cable would be the least of your problems.  Is there any printing on
the cable itself?

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos