Trouble port forwarding a minecraft server

element546
Follower

Trouble port forwarding a minecraft server

For the past few days I have tried over and over to get this to work but I haven't found anything. So here goes:

I want to port forward port 25565 so I can play with friends on a modded minecraft server I'm hosting. I did the usual Advanced Setup>Port Forwarding/Port Triggering and then assigning my interntal ip, gotten from going to command prompt and typing "ipconfig". This one is "192.168.1.3". I put that into the internal ip when forwarding a port and specifying UDP/TCP and the port 25565 for both the starting and ending port. I can connect (and get in game) to this with my minecraft client on the computer the server is running on just by using "192.168.1.3" but I can't connect to it by using my public ip. I also

I've read a lot about how having a bridged setup/modem stuff can affect forwarding ports but that went over my head.

What I have attempted to fix:

I checked the port before the server is on using "netstat -an" in command prompt (It lists all the ports being used by your computer) and there is no "25565" port being used.

I checked after the server started and I could see an ip address with port 25565 listening for connections.

From what I can tell this is just local so I have verfied that the server is working locally but when I use a port checker online, such as https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ , and use my public ip as the remote address and "25565" as the port it says the port is closed whether the server is open or not.

After a few tries I disabled my firewall and it still is not working.

I also tried to perform address reservation on the computer that the server was on but that did not help.

I'm at a loss. I've followed so many tutorials online but none they all said the same thing and it worked for them so thought then it was probably an issue with my router/modem.

I have an r7000p router along with a comtrend nexuslink-5631 modem. I looked it up and the nexuslink-5631 is apparently a router which I was also very confused about. My router firmware is V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 .

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2
antinode
Guru

Re: Trouble port forwarding a minecraft server

> I've read a lot about how having a bridged setup/modem stuff can
> affect forwarding ports but that went over my head.

That was stuff which would be helpful to understand.

> [...] I looked it up and the nexuslink-5631 is apparently a router
> which I was also very confused about. [...]

That, most likely is the cause of your problem.

Generally, cascading multiple routers can cause multiple problems,
including ones like this.  The usual solutions are: 1) Configure the
inner router (R7000P) as a wireless access point, or 2) Configure the
outer router (NexusLink 5631) as a non-router (modem-only, "bridge").

I've never touched a NexusLink 5631, so I know nothing, but there's
some evidence that it has a bridge mode, which might help in this case:

https://www.comtrend.com/dbase/upload/CT-5631.PDF

The alternative would be to configure the R7000P as a wireless access
point, and use the NexusLink 5631 as your (only) router, and configure
the port forwarding there.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "Use the Router as a
WiFi Access Point".

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats