Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trouble setting up VPN on Netgear Nighthawk R7000

idefvpn777
Aspirant

Trouble setting up VPN on Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Hello folks, I am a newbie in VPN and it is my first time to set u my own VPN server.

I will be going abroad and I need access to few webpages that are closed for foreign IP addresses so I was thinking I can just set up a VPN server on my R7000 router and access it directly from my Android phone and get my home IP address so I can access these webpages when abroad.

I enabled VPN service in the admin page and I downloaded the Android package. I transferred the files on my phone and I imported the profile. But the connection is never successful, it never manages to connect. In the log I see it tries to connect to 192.168.0.1 which is my local access IP to access my router on the network. It doesn't seem correct. There are no options to change in the admin panel on the router.

I updated the router to the latest version but no change.

Thank you in advance

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Another thought is the settings on your gateway/modem that is upstream of your R7000.  My ISP is Comcast and my gateway is an Arris TG3482G.  I have the gateway configured in bridge mode.  Some gateways call it a bridge or VPN bypass mode.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Not sure how you are connected when you are testing.  If you are connected to your LAN via Wi-Fi, you cannot establish a VPN connection back to that LAN.  On a phone, shut off your Wi-Fi and go through your cell data connection to test.

Have you set up a DDNS?  There are free accounts you can establish.  I think there is one from Netgear.  I never found the free DDNS accounts reliable.  I use No-IP and readily pay their small annual fee.

In your VPN configuration, be sure and select access to all sites on the internet and home network.  The auto selection is often flakey and the home network option will not meet your criteria.  If you make a change here, you will have to generate a new configuration file and import it into your phone.

Message 2 of 8
idefvpn777
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer. 

My WiFi is off when I try to connect. 

Indeed at the begining I hadn't set up DDNS because I have static IP but now I set it up and with the latest connections I see the DDNS works and the latest profile at least tries to connect to my IP address. 

I also have selected access to all sites on the internet and home network. 

But still no joy, I can not make a connection, it is always trying to connect.

What else can I try?

Message 3 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Another thought is the settings on your gateway/modem that is upstream of your R7000.  My ISP is Comcast and my gateway is an Arris TG3482G.  I have the gateway configured in bridge mode.  Some gateways call it a bridge or VPN bypass mode.

Message 4 of 8
idefvpn777
Aspirant

Checked that as well, I switched my modem from router mode to modem only mode. But still nothing. 

Message 5 of 8
idefvpn777
Aspirant

OK after I changed the modem from router mode to modem only mode and I reboted everything finally I managed to get a connection! For the first time there is a vpn succesful connection. But for the moment I don't have any internet! It says connected but internet is offline? 

Message 6 of 8
idefvpn777
Aspirant

Finally got it to work. I rebooted everything again and finally works! 

Message 7 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Very good.  Glad I could help.  The first time I struggled to get my VPN to work.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7