Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble shooting - Nighthawk R7690P Firmware v1.4.4.94 not broadcasting 5G signals

lrsmith1957
Aspirant

Trouble shooting - Nighthawk R7690P Firmware v1.4.4.94 not broadcasting 5G signals

My Nighthawk R7690P has been working fine for years now but I've recently noticed the 5G options have disappeared from the options in the network options on all my devices. That includes my laptop, my Android phone, my wifes Iphone and Ipad. To my knowledge there has been no change to my cable service so I have no idea how they can just not be there.

My 2.4ghz band works fine.

I've rebooted all devices, including unplugging and powering up in the sequence recommended in the user manual. One time after powering up the modem and router the 5G signals appeared briefly on my phone but then disappeared.

Anybody have any idea what could be happening with this router?

Thanks for any replies.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Trouble shooting - Nighthawk R7690P Firmware v1.4.4.94 not broadcasting 5G signals

Have you logged into to check if smart connect is enabled?

Smart connect combines the 2.4ghz/5ghz channels into one ssid so they don't show up as separate. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Trouble shooting - Nighthawk R7690P Firmware v1.4.4.94 not broadcasting 5G signals

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

A USB Laptop cooler is recommended under the router. Keeps the router cooler and helps avoid heat damage over time. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Have you logged into to check if smart connect is enabled?

Smart connect combines the 2.4ghz/5ghz channels into one ssid so they don't show up as separate. 

Message 3 of 5
lrsmith1957
Aspirant

Thank you, that was it. I'm guessing the last firmware update automatically turned that on.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7