Trouble with loss of internet connection

Champa
Guide

Trouble with loss of internet connection

I've reacently moved to a new place where they use static ip-adresses for the internet conection. I've recived the ip, gateway ip, subnet mask, primary and secondary dns. And it works, for a while the router loses internet connection. However if I press apply again the connection works fin again. For a while. Does any one know what the problem might be? My landlord says it has to be ipv4. Can this be the problem?
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 19

Re: Trouble with loss of internet connection

@Champa wrote:
However if I press apply again the connection works fin again.

Where is this "Apply"?

Who is the ISP?

What is your modem?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 19
Champa
Guide

The "apply button" is the green one in top of the pic.

You can see the settings i got from the landlord. He has 1 "internet line" to all apartments and then a switch that split the signal to each user.

What is ISP? (Not that good at this)

According to my landlord I don't need a modem since the setup he uses as i described above handels that
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 19
myersw
Master

Sounds like you have the same Internet connection dropping issue as lots of other folks on the forums. Crap firmware from Netgear causes this. IMHO I would get a different brand router. Hopefully within the return window.

ISP is Internet service Provider. Do not think that applies in your case as you seem to have an Ethernet connection configured for you back to the modem or Router located else where. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 19
Champa
Guide

I've had this router over 1 year and it worked really good untill now
Message 5 of 19
myersw
Master

@Champa wrote:
I've had this router over 1 year and it worked really good untill now

If it worked well until now then the question is what changed? Did you upgrade the firmware? Or maybe the router is set to auto update, turn off is it is set to that, and now you have a new broken firmware or at least need the famous reset and reconfigure. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 19
Champa
Guide

As I wrote in my first post. I've just moved to a new place where they use static ip. That's the change
Message 7 of 19
Glysterine
Aspirant

I am a fanatic when it comes to troubleshooting so don’t ever let me give you the feeling that I think I know the problem....let’s get to it.
Have you tried connecting and using DHCP?
What has the landlord provided to you to plug into your Netgear Router?
Is it a wall jack that you plug a cat5/e Ethernet (or better) cable into it?
Or is it a cable that just sort of materializes from under the carpet in an odd location and probably terminated by the landlord (meaning it has the equivalent of the network plug receptacle in a white box at the end of the cable)?
Do you live somewhere that has regular electrical activity during stormy months?
How long do you stay connected? Time it and see if it is the same amount of time. The landlord might have lease times from his end as well requiring your device to renew/handshake with his gateway.
Where is your router placed? Behind a tv? In a corner of the room where the cable enters the room? A basement?
Is your computer running antivirus software (please say yes and please say only 1 is installed-including trial versions) because they dislike their own kind. A lot.
Every one of those questions are from experience with seeing each of them screw up someone’s time online.
Resetting to factory is possibly where to start though. You might have been in settings and ticked a box that is the culprit. Day 1 of router is the best place to be when adding on to a new network topology.
Good luck.
Message 8 of 19
Champa
Guide

Haven't tried DHCP yet. Don't know how to.
I've tried with factory reset however it's still the same version of firmware as before 1.0.2.60

Each appartment has a real installed wall jack for ethernet cabel don't know the cat. Accordning to the installation guide I got when I moved in I don't need any modem it's possible to connect my laptop direct to the wall jack. All i need to do is to configure the ipv4 ip-adress and net sub, gateway and dns and itt will work

I have a ethernet cabel from the jack onnthe first floor ik my apartment to the second where the router is standing on a desk without anything near it.
When i loose internet connection the wifi is still perfect signal.
The time between connection lost differ how much I do not know.
I'm the only one expirience trouble with the connection no other apartment has trouble and the family who lived here befor didn't have any problems.
Eegarding antivirus i only have 1 installed.

I live in Sweden so not much storms and bad weather with lightning and stuff
Message 9 of 19
Glysterine
Aspirant

Did you enter the static IP/subnet/Gateway/DNS information in your router or in your laptop? Because that could be creating your problem. If you know about accessing the web-interface for the router, and it sounds like you do, make sure those values are in the routers settings and then let the router assign your laptop with what is called a link-local address (typically starting with 192.168...)
WAN IP address assigned by landlord is either for a device connected to the wall OR a router. But not both. Hopefully that is what the problem was. I’ll check back for more info. And thank you for all of that detail.
Message 10 of 19
Champa
Guide

Yes everything is enterd in the router interface. Is it possible that it has to something with ipv4 and ipv6? My landlord says it has to be ipv4
Message 11 of 19
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Well, In apartment setup with wall patch, you need to identify the static IP/Submet Mask.Default Gateway/DNS address are working using your Laptop. If connect the laptop wired to wall patch (internet source), check if the computer getting DHCP connections.

Check this KB article. https://kb.netgear.com/20878/Finding-your-IP-address-without-using-the-command-prompt

If yes, please check if the internet working. 

If not, you need enter your static IP given by your Landlord. 

There's nothing wrong with your router. it just we need to identify the new internet setup.  

Message 12 of 19
Champa
Guide

I've tried to connect to internet directly via the wall jack. Doesn't work. Got the reply "there is alread a computer with that ip on this network".

I've enterd the static ip, sub net, gateway and dns i got from the landlord in netgear genie and the internet works. For a while the it loses internet connection until i press "apply settings" and internet is working again. For a while... and i must press aply settings to get the internet working again..
Message 13 of 19
Glysterine
Aspirant

I’ll stand by my feelings that the Netgear Genie causes more problems than it solves. If you are willing, try logging into the router using a browser at the routerlogin.net address entering your user name and password and make the setting changes there for IP / SUBNET / DNS / GATEWAY. That’s way the router isn’t trying to interface with an application for settings. If they are already entered there I’m not sure what else could be going on unless the landlord accidentally gave out the same IP address to 2 tenants. When you connected your laptop directly and received that message if already existing in the network, that shouldn’t have happened if your router was not connected at the same time.
Message 14 of 19
Champa
Guide

I was a bit unclear with my last post. IP/SUBNET/GATEWAY/DNS is enterd via "routerlogin.net" it says netgear genie int the top left corner. I will try and get a new setup of adresses and try one more time.
Message 15 of 19
myersw
Master

@Champa wrote:
I was a bit unclear with my last post. IP/SUBNET/GATEWAY/DNS is enterd via "routerlogin.net" it says netgear genie int the top left corner. I will try and get a new setup of adresses and try one more time.

Welcome to the confusing world Netgear creates. Netgear Genie, is the router's interface as well as the app for various products like phones and MAC's. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 16 of 19
Glysterine
Aspirant

No need to apologize. you have enough frustration to deal with. I just wanted to make sure you tried that method but it seems you already are.

If the router was indeed disconnected from the network when you connected your laptop directly, I would think there are 2 possiblities, both involving speaking to the landlord.

1-you have an IP address someone else was given

or

2-the ISP recorded the MAC address of your router and is now denying your laptop to also use it but that seems unlikely.

Thank you for the update.

Message 17 of 19
Champa
Guide

I just wanna tell that the problem has been solved. It was an easybone in the end. Faulty IP-adress, got a new one from the landlord and the connection has worked perfectly since.
Thanks to you guys who tried to help me to solve the problem.
Message 18 of 19
myersw
Master

Thanks for providing the fix info. Could be good info for the next person. 

Glad you got it hashed out with the landlord and IP address. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E