Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble with set up and having Wifi

Knerk
Aspirant

Trouble with set up and having Wifi

I recently received this router from a family member and can not figure how to set it up. I tried plugging an ethernet cord from the current router/modem from Verizon and that didn't work. I tried releasing the DHCP and plugged in the Wan cord to the Netgear router and that didn't work either. Is there a way to access the router's settings without having access to the internet? The app is no use since it cannot connect due to no internet access. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Re: Trouble with set up and having Wifi

Avoid the app all together, it is of little or no use.  In particular for configuration of the router.

Go to the downloads section above and put in the model number of your router to download the manual.

In general, with the router powered on you are going to do a firmware default reset using the push pin button on the back of the router.  In the manual it refers to the process as factory reset.  The terminology did not make it cleanly through translation.

After the router restarts, connect to one of the LAN ports on the router with an ethernet cable and then to a real computer.  Use a web browser on the computer to start the configuration process described in the manual.

Eventually you may want to update the firmware on the router.  Do some reading on this forum for firmware versions that users are having success with.

Message 2 of 6
Knerk
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I’ve already tried this and it still cannot connect to the router. I cannot connect to the router through my phones WiFi or through Ethernet on my computer. When connected through Ethernet, it shows no internet and the circle looking icon on the taskbar. Is there any other way?
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You're in a double nat as verizon uses modem/router combo devices. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

to access the netgear, disconnect if from the verizon and reboot the netgear. Then connect a pc/laptop/device to it and try going to its management page without being connected to the verizon device. 

Message 4 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Please provide the manufacturer name and model number of the modem/gateway/ont you are attempting to obtain internet through.  Also who is your internet service provider?

Then take a moment and reveal what you have done.  Users trying to help cannot read your mind.

Message 5 of 6

@Knerk wrote:

I recently received this router from a family member and can not figure how to set it up.

As @Kitsap says, if you haven't done this already, the first thing to do is to reset the second hand device so that you can install it from its default settings.

You need to tell it to forget any settings it may have inherited from its previous modem and Internet connection.

I repeat that because it is a key step that many people overlook.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7