Highlighted
Aspirant

Trying to access a WD 4TB Elements External Drive from my Nighthawk R8000

Hi there, I recently installed my nighthawk router and have had trouble hooking up my WD external hard drive. The hard drive works fine when connected directly to my laptop, but I am having issues being able to access it over the network. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Re: Trying to access a WD 4TB Elements External Drive from my Nighthawk R8000

@ghenn6 wrote:

Hi there, I recently installed my nighthawk router and have had trouble hooking up my WD external hard drive. The hard drive works fine when connected directly to my laptop, but I am having issues being able to access it over the network. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Well, what have you DONE? How is it connected? What FileSystem is it using? What OS is in use on the Laptop? Does the drive have more than one partition?

What ERRORS are you getting?

Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi! I have it plugged via USB 3.0 directly into the router. I am running windows 10 on a microsoft surface pro. My router registers that something is plugged into the USB port, but when I go to network on my surface, the hard drive doesn't show up. The file system is NFTS and i would assume it has 2 partitions? The one only has 260mb the other has the rest. My problem is just not being able to access it. I'm sure it is something stupid, but I am not great with these things. thanks for your time!

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I also have tried using ReadyShare. When the USB is plugged in the drive fires up, and I can now see ReadShare on my network. Is this the drive? I am not able to click on the folder to open anything. 

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Well, its a permissions thing...

Go to the search on the left side of the taskbar. Enter CREDENTIALS and select the WINDOWS CREDENTIALS. Next you need to create one for the router. Use its IP Address (usually 192.168.1.1) and add in the USERID and PASSWORD you use to sign into the router. That should allow access.

On the READYSHARE page in the Browser Genie you can change the name READYSHARE if you want, not needed to do though. Yes, that is the USB drive.

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

You are a savior! Got it up and running. One last question, just in case you have the answer. Is there any easy way to save things from my phone and ipad to the drive over the network or do I need to download them to my laptop first?

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Yes and no... or I should say it depends.

I assume you mean photo's?

There are programs you can load onto a PC and they can connect, either to a USB or wireless to the 'i' devices. You can then save what you find on the device to the router drive. Easiest to do if you make the drive a NETWORK drive, NET USE X: \\readyshare\photos in a CMD prompt for instance. Then Windows Explorer could be used to drag and drop for the 'i' device to drive X:.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements