Trying to configure OSX native VPN service

cclaws
Aspirant

Trying to configure OSX native VPN service

R8000 AC3200

Firmware v1.0.2.46_1.0.97

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

My company's IT company set up access to a company VPN using the native VPN service in OSX -- no 3rd party client.  Since I already have this one VPN connection in my OSX Network pane, I'd prefer to have my own Home VPN connection set up in there as well so I don't have to have two different ways of connecting to my VPNs.

In the NETGEAR Genie, I've setup Dynamic DNS Service for which I have a Host Name, Email, and password.

I've enabled VPN service.

I also downloaded the nowindows configuration zip -- but I don't think I can use any of the files to configure this VPN is OSX.

Is it possible for me to connect to my VPN without downloading a 3rd party client using just the Network pane in System Preferences?  What VPN Type do I select: L2TP over IPSec, Cisco IPSec, or IKEv2?  How do I get it to authenticate?

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 9.13.15 PM.png

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
cclaws
Aspirant

Re: Trying to configure OSX native VPN service

Yeah that looks like it could be what I'm looking for but it prompts me to enter a Shared Secret when I set up the connection.  I don't see anything about Shared Secret in the Genie.

Message 2 of 6
cclaws
Aspirant

For the VPN's server address, that is my Dynamic DNS host name, correct?  And Account name is the email address I used to set up DDNS, same password, right?

Message 3 of 6
cclaws
Aspirant

How is this a hardware issue?

Message 4 of 6
cclaws
Aspirant

Can you tell me how the hardware solves my problem?  I buy the box... then what?

Message 5 of 6
cclaws
Aspirant

MY BAD!  I didn't realize that that link you provided was specific to the EdgeRouter!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements