Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to understand my router specs (Netgear R6020)

SeanPB
Aspirant

Trying to understand my router specs (Netgear R6020)

I want to understand what the technical specs numbers of my router mean. I have a Netgear R6020. The technical specs (https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r6020/) say the following:

Wifi Performance: 300+450mbps

Ethernet Ports: Five 10/100 Mbps Ethernet ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN)

What  do these two mean? Should I get 300mbps wifi speed on 2.4 GHz band and 450mbps on 5 GHz band? I have a 400mbps internet speed connection from ISP. When I do a speed test on my computer using wifi on 5GHz, I only get around 94mbps. When I do a wifi speed test on two devices, both using wifi and both on 5GHz, the combined speed becomes 94mbps (one device around 60-70mbps and another around 24-34mbps). So what does the 450mbps number even mean?

I also tried a wired connection by connecting the ethernet port from my laptop to the router. I still get a 94mbps speed. Shouldn't I be getting 100mbps on ethernet? But why am I getting only 94mbps? Why is the mentioned wifi speed higher than the ethernet speed? Does this mentioned ethernet speed place a limit on the wifi speed? If so, why is the wifi speed mentioned as 300+450mbps?

Just to confirm, I connected the ethernet cable to the modem and I did get around 400mbps speed. It seems that this router does not support a speed of 400mbps but I want to understand why, so that I can buy another router properly and be able to understand exactly what the numbers on the tech specs page mean.

Model: R6020|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Trying to understand my router specs (Netgear R6020)

@SeanPB wrote:

So if there is a 100mbps bottleneck, I have two questions:

1. Why is the wifi speed mentioned as 300+450mbps? What do these numbers signify?----they're the wireless link speed numbers. If you think about distance/interference, if you start your wireless connection out at a link speed of 100mbps and then with distance/obstructions that connection drops, you're much lower. But if you're starting point is higher for wireless, you can still max out the 100mbps with some distance/interference. 

2. Why do I get max speeds of 94mbps and not 100mbps?---Overhead. Wired has less overhead than wireless but its still there. 

For instance, the R6080 (https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r6080/) has a wifi speed of 300+700mbps but the same 10/100mbps ethernet speed. So essentially, the R6020 and R6080 would have the same wifi speed (94mbps) despite advertising different wifi speeds and having different prices, correct?----from a close range, sure they'd be the roughly the same. but with the r6080 having a stronger 5ghz connection, it could hold those speds further away. 

Basically, if you want to use the bandwidth you're paying for, you need to upgrade routers. And even when looking at routers theres a few things to take into consideration. 

1. link speed isn't the same as actual throughput. Its roughly 55-65% because of overhead, device differences, etc. 

2. Your initial speeds. 400mbps is a fast speed. Most Wireless AC devices won't max out 400mbps until you get a decent spec'd router. Not just a base model gigabit device

3. the device you're testing on. Most laptops/computers/phones/tablets are either 1x1 antenna devices or 2x2. Meaning even if the router is a AC1900, you're max link speed (close) is going to be either 433mbps or 866mbps. And thats link speed, not throughput. And thats at close range. 

4. distance. If you're home is large enough, sometimes its better to go with a mesh system. 5ghz doesn't have the same penetration power as 2.4ghz but its a much faster network. Most 2.4ghz devices are only going to hit 30-70mbps. 5ghz you can hit 400+ with the right devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Your bottleneck is the 10/100mbps wan/lan ports on it. 

So your device won't see faster speeds than 94mbps. 

If you're paying for 400mbps speeds, you'd want to upgrade your router to one that supports gigabit speeds. 

Message 2 of 6
SeanPB
Aspirant

1. Why is the wifi speed mentioned as 300+450mbps? What do these numbers signify?

2. Why do I get max speeds of 94mbps and not 100mbps?

For instance, the R6080 (https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r6080/) has a wifi speed of 300+700mbps but the same 10/100mbps ethernet speed. So essentially, the R6020 and R6080 would have the same wifi speed (94mbps) despite advertising different wifi speeds and having different prices, correct?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@SeanPB wrote:

1. Why is the wifi speed mentioned as 300+450mbps? What do these numbers signify?----they're the wireless link speed numbers. If you think about distance/interference, if you start your wireless connection out at a link speed of 100mbps and then with distance/obstructions that connection drops, you're much lower. But if you're starting point is higher for wireless, you can still max out the 100mbps with some distance/interference. 

2. Why do I get max speeds of 94mbps and not 100mbps?---Overhead. Wired has less overhead than wireless but its still there. 

For instance, the R6080 (https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r6080/) has a wifi speed of 300+700mbps but the same 10/100mbps ethernet speed. So essentially, the R6020 and R6080 would have the same wifi speed (94mbps) despite advertising different wifi speeds and having different prices, correct?----from a close range, sure they'd be the roughly the same. but with the r6080 having a stronger 5ghz connection, it could hold those speds further away. 

Basically, if you want to use the bandwidth you're paying for, you need to upgrade routers. And even when looking at routers theres a few things to take into consideration. 

1. link speed isn't the same as actual throughput. Its roughly 55-65% because of overhead, device differences, etc. 

2. Your initial speeds. 400mbps is a fast speed. Most Wireless AC devices won't max out 400mbps until you get a decent spec'd router. Not just a base model gigabit device

3. the device you're testing on. Most laptops/computers/phones/tablets are either 1x1 antenna devices or 2x2. Meaning even if the router is a AC1900, you're max link speed (close) is going to be either 433mbps or 866mbps. And thats link speed, not throughput. And thats at close range. 

4. distance. If you're home is large enough, sometimes its better to go with a mesh system. 5ghz doesn't have the same penetration power as 2.4ghz but its a much faster network. Most 2.4ghz devices are only going to hit 30-70mbps. 5ghz you can hit 400+ with the right devices. 

Message 4 of 6
microchip8
Master

The router has 100 Mbps ports while your Internet speed is 400 Mbps. You will never reach your Internet speed as you're limited by the port speed of 100 Mbps. 

About WiFi speeds, those are supposed to be for wifi device <--> wifi device. Not LAN ports <--> wifi device, since again here you'll be limited by the 100 Mbps port speed

I suggest you get another router with 1 Gbps ports for your 400 Mbps connection

Message 5 of 6

Yup, the R6020 is one of the last Netgear routers with 100 Mbps LAN ports.

It is baffling that Netgear even released something that slow in 2017. It first launched 1000 Mbps Ethernet ports more than a decade ago.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7