Trying to upgrade firmware in Nighthawk R7000

emperorcrispy
Follower

Trying to upgrade firmware in Nighthawk R7000

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade the latest firmware in my R7000 device. I have been reading about the vulnerability in these devices and wanted to upgrade asap. I have dowloaded the .chk file extension from the website and tried to install. When I do this I get the following error -

Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

I have tried with different browsers, using the login IP and routerlogin name and no succes. I tried renaming the .chk to a .img and that didnt work either. Also tried the auto firmware check via the router and it says it did not find a new update. I am currently on firmware verison V1.0.1.44_1.0.1

I only bought this router four months ago and I tried to ask Netgear directly for help and they said my 3 months support is up. What the? Dont you get at least a year.

Please help.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Trying to upgrade firmware in Nighthawk R7000

Looks like from that firmware version you have a D7000 (an ADSL/VDSL modem/router with 802.11ac Wi-Fi) not the R7000 (a router with 802.11ac Wi-Fi).

1.0.1.44_1.0.1 is the latest firmware for the D7000.

Our Security Advisory for VU 582384 mentions that the D7000 is not vulnerable.

Message 2 of 3

Re: Trying to upgrade firmware in Nighthawk R7000

@emperorcrispy wrote:

I only bought this router four months ago and I tried to ask Netgear directly for help and they said my 3 months support is up. What the? Dont you get at least a year.

That's the warranty. Like most hardware and software suppliers, Netgear limits support to 90 days.

In any case, from the stories that crop up hare, you will get better help from this place. Indeed, you have already had proof of that in the answer to your question, which comes from an official support person.

You can confirm the answer by telling your device to check to new firmware itself.

Read how to do this on page 132 of the manual:

R6700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E