Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Tunnelblick VPN Client on a Mac does not change the public IP

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Tunnelblick VPN Client on a Mac does not change the public IP

confI have followed the help link

https://kb.netgear.com/25389/Enabling-VPN-service-on-a-Nighthawk-router-using-a-MAC-OS-computer

However, my public IP is still the same.

I did some researches and most information point to add --redirect-gateway def1 or push "redirect-gateway def1" to the config file which is the client.conf file that was downloaded from the link in netgear router. It still cann't solve the issue. I have no idea what I have done wrong. Please help. Thanks.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear support contacted me and mentioned the VPN is acutaully to be used outside of your home network. It's not about to hide your IP to some privacy concerns.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
mskeels4270
Tutor

I have the same issue here. What needs to be added to the conf file to make this work for Mac OS?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After I talked with the customer support, I learned that the VPN is different than the VPN we were trying to do. This VPN is to allow users outside the home network to use the home network.

Message 3 of 10
mskeels4270
Tutor

That doesn't sound right. It should also allow you to browse the web as if you were on your home network as well. That's why you have the option to "home network only" or "home network and internet" as options.
Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's what I got from the customer support. I wish you can find out why and let me know too.

Message 5 of 10
bardaravine
Aspirant

Did this ever get fixed or addressed? I have the same issue. Would like to browser internet like I'm home. It's why I purchased this router. 

Message 6 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Have never gotten any answer. It seems like their support team don't know how to use this feature and provided me the wrong answer.

Message 7 of 10
squidboy
Aspirant

I have the same issue only with my Mac OS. I have openvpn on my iphone and when connected to the vpn and i go to www.ipchicken.com, it shows my home IP address. when i do the same on my Mac i get an error about the ip address not changing. so i check with ipchicken and its the IP of the local router im connected to.

I sent the logs to tunnleblick and the issue is this error

NOTE: unable to redirect default gateway -- VPN gateway parameter (--route-gateway or --ifconfig) is missing

what needs to be change to fix that

Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear support contacted me and mentioned the VPN is acutaully to be used outside of your home network. It's not about to hide your IP to some privacy concerns.

Message 9 of 10
squidboy
Aspirant

Correct. It’s used to connect in from a remote location. But it’s still not working correct
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7