× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Turn off Nighthawk 5 Ghz network

Rahooool
Aspirant

Turn off Nighthawk 5 Ghz network

Just bought this MS60 Nighthawk Mesh. Had a Netgear for 10 years before this and never had such trouble. Guest Network broadcasts on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. They both have same SSID (Previous Netgear router gave different SSIDs and I could turn 5 Ghz off before). I cant switch this off with the nighthawk. Printer always connects to 2.4 Ghz and laptop always to 5 Ghz so printer is not recognized and I cant print. Need a fix urgently for kids school or have to return router. Very poor Design. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
Rahooool
Aspirant

Re: Turn off Nighthawk 5 Ghz network

My previous router was a Netgear MR814. The guest network there allowed me to enable or disable the 5Ghz and it had a separate SSID.

The new MR60 Nighthawk Mesh with 2 satellites was setup with the same SSID, WPA2 password. All the devices in the home automatically recognized it and connected which was great. The guest network uses the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz and this is not configurable on the App or via browser.

I connect the HP 8600 printer to the guest network and a few devices are connected there as well. Some devices (mobile phones, tablets and laptops) are able to detect the HP printer and others are not. What I noticed when I checked was the devices connected to the Guest 2.4Ghz are able to connect and detect the printer on the 2.4 Ghz but the devices connected to Guest 5Ghz are unable to find the printer. I tried to configure them by IP address of the printer as well but it still doesnt find it.

I connected the printer and the laptop (Dell Inspiron) to the main SSID (Non Guest). Both connect and work fine. Its only when I connect to the guest network, the printer always connects to 2.4Ghz and the laptop to 5 Ghz and they cant seem to communicate. Seems like the 2.4 Ghz guest and 5 Ghz Guest do not communicate with each other. Not sure what else could it be

Message 2 of 4
Rahooool
Aspirant

My son's friends come over often enough and print stuff and I dont want anyone else on my main SSID so i keep the printer on Guest. But you are right I probably should just keep it on the main SSID

I dont see the Allow guests to see each other option... going through all the choices on this one but thanks for the direction

Message 3 of 4

On the router MR60 with MS60 satellites firmware version v1.1.6.124 they fixed the communication error between devices connected to the same router but different band network. Meaning now devices on the 5Ghz can see and communicate with devices on the 2,4Ghz. They also allowed you to customize this 2 networks by separately. For this you need to go to Advance Tab > Advance Set up > Customize Network. In there you will be able to have a 2,4Ghz and a 5Ghz Network separately so you can decide to which bandwidth connect your devices to.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7