Re: Two R7000 routers in Router and Bridge modes...

VishnuT
Aspirant

Two R7000 routers in Router and Bridge modes...

Hello All,

My main purpose is to have high speed wireless and easy access to all my files and media, to any client device - smart tv, ipad, ps3 etc

I want both the router and bridge to be AC radio capable for highest possible speeds. After much research I was thinking about R7000 - R6300 combination or R7000 - R7000 combination. I finally decided on the later, as R6300 in my country (India) costs almost as much as R7000 for the v2 version with USB 3.

I want to listen from people who have used two Netgear routers, one functioning as router and other as bridge. What about the DLNA performance of about 10GB MKV HD movies? Do we need a separate media server for transcoding or is the DLNA in the router capable enough? How about the AC - AC wireless communication with two R7000s? Does that come near to CAT5 cable connection for HD media streaming?

Best regards,
Vishnu T
Message 1 of 15
caseyse
Tutor

I purchased two R7000 a year ago so that I could operate the pair as a bridge. This has been a complete waste of time and money. A colossal failure for Netgear. I haven't tried any of the beta firmware releases, but their GA releases have not established bridge functionality with any reliability, and one GA release earlier this year actually disabled bridge functionality. I no longer trust Netgear to deliver core functionality in their products.
Message 2 of 15
VishnuT
Aspirant

That is very discouraging, especially when there are articles from Netgear boasting AC wireless speed using two routers

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24105

If things don't work as planned, I will return the spare router

Lets see how things turn out
Message 3 of 15
Leeman1
Aspirant

I wanted all my devices on 5 GHZ so I have 3 R7000's bridged at 5GHz to a R8000. Each R7000 is set up on a different level in my home with approximately 30 wired devices total and I get throughputs between 865 to 1300Mpbs.

All routers have the latest firmware and work great. I especially like the ability to monitor all routers and devices with Netgear Genie - couldn't ask for anything better. I know that this setup isn't supposed to improve speeds on wireless devices (cell phones & iPads) but it seems to have that effect.

I realize I spent a ton for this configuration but it works so well I feel it was worth it.
Message 4 of 15
VishnuT
Aspirant

Leeman1, Thank you! Which stock firmware version are you using? How about the DLNA performance of FULL HD movies over the AC wireless between the router and bridge?
Message 5 of 15
Leeman1
Aspirant

The R7000's have firmware V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 and the R8000 has Beta V1.0.1.12_1.0.69 - all updated this past weekend.

Early firmware for the R7000 had Apple airplay and iTunes problems and some wired devices that went to sleep would not reconnect on wakeup. I did set up static IP addresses for these devices and they have since been rock solid while the firmware updates have fixed the airplay and iTunes issues.

One of the reasons I went with multiple R7000's is that even though my Apple TV's were very close to the R8000 and had a 100% signal wirelessly they would still buffer while watching movies. So I added the R7000's and wired the Apple TV's to them and the buffering stopped.

I can also play movies from a rather slow external hard drive attached to the R8000 through ReadyShare and they play perfect. I'm very happy with the setup and results.
Message 6 of 15
VishnuT
Aspirant

Thank you! ^^

I am now getting stellar 5GHz AC wireless performance as described here
Message 7 of 15
GPz900r
Aspirant

Netgear Genie only seems to work if connected to local LAN, buty I assume it works if the router can be addressed via a web IP address. But does anyone know how (or if you can) to get remote access to an R7000 that is NOT (ie so I cannot use my web IP address) the first router in the network?
Message 8 of 15
DistortedAxis
Novice

How To: Two R7000 routers in Router and Bridge modes?

How are you doing a bridge connection with the R8000 to R7000?

I may be overlooking something but I can't find a bridge setting anywhere on the latest firmware. Is there a specific firmware I need to use to do bridge?

I've searched and so far it appears to be disabled. Direction appreciated!

Thanks
Message 9 of 15
Leeman1
Aspirant

Re: How To: Two R7000 routers in Router and Bridge modes?

To brige the R7000 to the R8000

Log into the R7000, select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings & scroll down and selet the "Use other operation mode" check box and also the "Enable Bridge Mode" radio button. Select your settings and save.
Message 10 of 15
raven_au
Virtuoso

Leeman1 wrote:

All routers have the latest firmware and work great. I especially like the ability to monitor all routers and devices with Netgear Genie - couldn't ask for anything better. I know that this setup isn't supposed to improve speeds on wireless devices (cell phones & iPads) but it seems to have that effect.

I realize I spent a ton for this configuration but it works so well I feel it was worth it.

I've been thinking about getting an R7000 as a bridge but, with the partially broken bridge implementations of current routers, I'm concerned that I'll spend more money and end up with the same problem.

So, a question about your setup with a description of my concern first.

A router in bridge mode should present devices behind it as but recent routers such seem to not do it quite like this, for example the 5Ghz band of the RT-AC87U presents devices as whereas the 2.4Ghz band behaves as expected. And so does the WRT1900AC, but in a slightly different way, on both wireless bands.

The result of this is largely that devices behind the bridge aren't quite visible.

I must add that the devices behind the bridges do function but this confuses Netgear Genie quite a bit and makes it really painful to monitor network usage and current bridge wireless rate.

So the question is, does an R7000 in bridge mode show as itself, both IP and MAC address, in the attached devices list on the R8000 and do the devices connected to it that are in use also show in the attached devices list on the R8000 as themselves (both IP and MAC address)?

Ian
Message 11 of 15
raven_au
Virtuoso

Leeman1, I've used routers in bridge mode a lot and I've never found any device wireless perform as well as the wireless of a router in bridge mode ever, even when using the same wireless standard. It's definitely the way to go if you have lots of clients or want to be able to play HD movies at multiple viewing locations from, for example, a NAS. It's also true that N300 wasn't quite up to the task, certainly not for the device providing the video, but wireless AC seems to work quite well. Ian
Message 12 of 15
Leeman1
Aspirant

raven_au, - All devices behind the bridged router show all information - IP & MAC addresses and when -using Netgear Genie I can monitor download speed. Just works great. I have all the devices on static IP addresses also - that was recommended on previous firmware and I just kept them that way so they don't disconnect when they are not used for a long time. Sometimes when I reboot my main router I may have to reboot the bridged routers also. But no big deal for AC speed throughout my house.
Message 13 of 15
raven_au
Virtuoso

Leeman1, Thanks, that's good to know. I've started to add DHCP reservations to try and prevent Genie from getting confused when addresses change, otherwise DHCP has been OK so far. Ian
Message 14 of 15
raven_au
Virtuoso

Leeman1 wrote:

All devices behind the bridged router show all information - IP & MAC addresses and when -using Netgear Genie I can monitor download speed. Just works great.

Indeed, I ended up getting an R7000 to use as a bridge from my work desk (actually our dining room) to the location of my Internet connection, an R8000 on the far side of our kitchen (with an obstacle in between).

And, although it has only been a couple of hours, it seems to be working quite well and does behave the way I believe a bridge should.

Thanks
Ian
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E