Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two R9000 Wifi Can't resolve IP

Astamanyana
Aspirant

Two R9000 Wifi Can't resolve IP

Hi there! I have a bad habit of consistently upgrading my wifi network, and, I have a main R9000 downstairs with a wifi AP R9000 upstairs. The router downstairs has the wifi turned off, but I would like both to work at the same time and with the same SSID (the wifi doesn't extend downstairs very well at all). Both are upgraded to the latest firmware (same version), to the extent that's relevant.

When I turn the downstairs wifi on and walk downstairs, it works perfectly. As soon as I walk back upstairs, it works terribly (assuming it's still connected to the router downstairs for some reason). So, I disconnect and reconnect. That's when I get the 'can't resolve IP' error. What am I doing wrong here? Thank you for your help, in advance!

Best regards,

Asta
Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10—AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Astamanyana
Aspirant

Re: Two R9000 Wifi Can't resolve IP

For whatever reason, updating the firmware on both of the R9000s and setting them to 'smart connect' (one SSID for the 2.4 & 5 channels) seems to work. I can walk around the house, connect and reconnect, without the unable to resolve IP issue. Effectively, it works.

The DHCP is the main R9000 I have downstairs. 

Modem -> R9000 Downstairs -> 24 Port Gig switch -> all other devices (including AP R9000). Everything is connected via Cat7

Now, I'm wondering how to ensure that I connect to the R9000 that will provide the best connection. This is just me nitpicking, but when I'm downstairs my bandwidth is less than 25% of what it is upstairs (even when right next to the downstairs router that's connected directly to the modem). 

I habitually upgrade my network with new netgear devices, cabling, etc... so I'm moving on to that problem next if anyone has any insight!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hi Asta,

By rule of thumb - you have done nothing wrong.

Same network names set, probably Smart Connect enabled on the router as well as on the AP (if it is available there), same security keys.The R9000 AP connected using the WAN port to a LAN port of the R9000 router.

I have just some single R9000 in use, no second R9000 to test AP mode ... just yet another user. 

There might be some interesting insight in the router and the AP system logs. Can you (copy-paste) or as an attachment (text file) the content of the log on both R9000 right after the "roaming" resp. re-association of the mobile device went wrong (resp. there was no IP issued by DHCP, or whatever)?

One more detail for the R9000 product engineer to look into I guess.

-Kurt

Message 2 of 7
Astamanyana
Aspirant

Definitely will do so tonight! However, I guess the logs were cleared when I updated the firmware.So, I can't get the data from when I tried it last.

Message 3 of 7
xnsys
Luminary

Where is your DHCP server?

Message 4 of 7
Astamanyana
Aspirant

For whatever reason, updating the firmware on both of the R9000s and setting them to 'smart connect' (one SSID for the 2.4 & 5 channels) seems to work. I can walk around the house, connect and reconnect, without the unable to resolve IP issue. Effectively, it works.

The DHCP is the main R9000 I have downstairs. 

Modem -> R9000 Downstairs -> 24 Port Gig switch -> all other devices (including AP R9000). Everything is connected via Cat7

Now, I'm wondering how to ensure that I connect to the R9000 that will provide the best connection. This is just me nitpicking, but when I'm downstairs my bandwidth is less than 25% of what it is upstairs (even when right next to the downstairs router that's connected directly to the modem). 

I habitually upgrade my network with new netgear devices, cabling, etc... so I'm moving on to that problem next if anyone has any insight!

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Astamanyana wrote:

Explained several times, last one in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/5g-vs-2-4g/m-p/1552427 ... a wireless client STA can roam much faster between multiple BSSIDs (virtual radio MAC) serving the same ESSID (network name). Every STA is maintaining a weighted list of all BSSIDs in the range, and is "constantly" (typically in a timed loop) evaluating the environment again. If there is an AP STA where things look better, the client STA will roam over to the better BSSID. The bad impression you had before was caused by different ESSID (network names). If a client STA is connected, much more (lower signal, interference, ...) is required to make the client change to a different ESSID network.

@Astamanyana wrote:

There is a lot of room - copper goes up to 10 GbE nowadays, Fiber up to 400 GbE - promised, you have always the best connection to your switch infrastructure. Next WiFi generation is virtually awaiting behind the door, late 2018, early 2019. But here again, as already with 802.11ac and 802.11ac wave 2 (MU-MIMO) the focus is on smooth interoperability, not towards egoistic single user data rates for a single client.

Message 6 of 7
Astamanyana
Aspirant

I just had ATT install fiber yesterday, and they brought their modem/router along with it (which is apparently required). When I removed the R9000 I had downstairs (wince it was no longer necessary) and changed the ATT router to the same SSID as the access point R9000 I have upstairs, it works perfectly.

I now have no difference between downstairs and upstairs on wifi. Approximately 500 up and down on wifi out of a 1Gb fiber connection. For whatever reason, that worked. So, I don't think it has anything to do with switching between the BSSIDs. 

Either way, thank you to everyone for your help!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7