Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two routers, one network - unstable

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Two routers, one network - unstable

I'm not the first to have an issue here, but I can't find a solution to my problem.
I've set up two Nighthawk Rax50. Same SSID and password.
Second router has DHCP disabled and has IP... 1.2
First router is set at IP... 1.1 and skips IP... 1.2.
Before I had Rax40 as a second router that worked 98% of the time. Needed a restart maybe once or twice every two weeks.
The two Rax50 I can't seem to work out. The speed on the second router is good, but it takes long to connect to internet and sometimes times out.
Tried AP but that's worse. Maybe a little more stable, but slower.
Is there any settings I should try? Do different wifi channels help on the two routers?
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Two routers, one network - unstable

Turned out AP worked, and what didn't work at first with AP was fixed with a restart of the router and the unstable equipment.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You should have thte 2nd one set it access point mode. If you have a certain IP address you'd like it on, you can reserve that address in the lan setup for IP reservation.

You should also have them set on different wireless channels for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz to prevent interference. 

With a mesh system they use the same channels but when using a non-mesh system with access points, they should be seperated out. 

Message 2 of 4

@Retired_Member wrote:
I'm not the first to have an issue here, but I can't find a solution to my problem.

That is because lots of people turn up here with networks that they have set up in the wrong way. (With two routers.) Those issues are dealt with here almost daily. So it is difficult to know why you can't find an answer that suits you.

Tried AP but that's worse. Maybe a little more stable, but slower.

This suggests that you need to work out what causes the speed issues.

To do that you'll have to say more about what those issues are.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Turned out AP worked, and what didn't work at first with AP was fixed with a restart of the router and the unstable equipment.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7