ChristineT
Admin

Re: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR products

Hello @0ldSch00l ,

Thanks for posting your inquiry! It's possible the newer firmware (1.0.11.100) will be pushed out to your device in the near future. Typically, we push firmware to devices in batches so it's likely you'll be in an upcoming batch. We post the firmware on our support site if people want to download it sooner. 

In the case of the hot-fix, it should be available in the upcoming days so if you wanted to save some time and effort you may want to wait until then.

I hope this helps!

Christine

Message 76 of 196
bobdav
Aspirant

Re: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR products

I can't even get to Advanced. The instrtuctions I have don't resemble what I see wheh I try to log in.

R6700v3.

bobdav

Message 77 of 196
reflexusa
Tutor

@ChristineT 

Christine, 

Maybe you should consider locking down this advisory from further comments

I think Oldschool pretty much covers the whole of all the issues in plain English,

descibed the what and why VERY clearly and to try and keep everyone informed

on what to do and what should be, I have to admit , it's rather wordy,

but if they just waited for the actual update, it would be better for all those "non"-techies.

Note: For all those who don't want to read or learn, choosing instant non-decaffinated

will always be the the best option for you, add sugar and enjoy!!!

Best Regards,

ant / reflexusa

P.s. I always keep at least one of each model router I get for testing purposes.

I just have some very good clients I have to keep watch for.. Smiley LOL

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 78 of 196
iFrog
Guide

I was curious if there were different revisions of the R7000?  There are other NETGEAR routers that have different revisions of the same model, but I haven't seen it referenced with the plain R7000.

Message 79 of 196
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @aryavibhu

We would like to get this resolved! 

Please wired a computer to the router so we can check if computer can still get response from the router. Here's a reference of how to ping the router: https://kb.netgear.com/27477/

If we are getting replies from the router then we can perform a firmware recovery on the router. Here's the reference:  https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/

Please let us know of the result. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 80 of 196
ryanlaschober
Aspirant

Caught in an endless loop at the routerlogin.net website of trying to reset my password. Any fix to this?  I do not want to do a hard reset of my router

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 81 of 196
Jennpage89
Aspirant

Hello,

I don't remember my user name and when I put in the seriel number the 2 questions come up and I put the answers I know should go there, but I keep getting wrong answers

HELP please

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 82 of 196
jacdan8502
Aspirant

How to turn off Remote Management in your product Web GUI:

1. On a computer that is part of your home network, type http://www.routerlogin.net in the address bar of your browser and press Enter.
  2. Enter your admin user name and password and click OK. If you never changed your user name and password after setting up your router, the user name is admin and the password is password.
  3. Once you have logged in successfully, select the ADVANCED tab on the browser screen.
  4. Click on Advanced Setup
  5. Click on Remote Management.
    Note: on some products you may need to click on Web Services Management instead
  6. If the check box for Turn Remote Management On is checked, click on it so that the box is unchecked. Then click Apply to save your changes.
  7. If the check box for Turn Remote Management On is unchecked, then click Cancel to leave the page as Remote Management is already turned off.
Message 83 of 196
Agena
Initiate

When I try to log in from http://www.routerlogin.net and use my username and password (admin and passord), it ask for serial number, secret questions and then kicks me back to username and password.......it's repetitive and won't log me into my netgear account?What do you suggest?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 84 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

@jacdan8502  As I pointed out in a previous post, typing routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com, does not work for everyone. Some of us can only access the browser GUI by typing in 192.168.1.1  Whether that is because my router is set up differently in some way, I have no idea. It doesn't matter to me personally anyway, I can still access my GUI.

Unfortunately it could be conceived that an unintended consequence of this thread, has been a whole barrel of confusion for some people.

Let's see how long it takes Netgear to push out whatever security fixes to resolve whatever issues deemed important enough to have started this thread.

Message 85 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

Those of you who are beating their heads against the wall either trying to find the setting or access it can likely rest assured that they are just fine. The Remote Management is OFF by default. Unless you have gone in and turned it on, you are good to go as far as that goes.  You obviously HAVEN'T (turned it on) since you are unable to either find it OR unable to access it.

If you can't find it or access it, you obviously haven't turned it on. Try to relax until you hear more about a fix.

Message 86 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

If anyone is at all interested, I've successfully upgraded to the very latest Hotfix firmware update 1.0.11.102

It took all of about 5 minutes and I followed my own tried and tested upgrade procedures, i.e. upgrade over ethernet, wifi completely disabled, firmware unzipped and saved to desktop, reboot prior to uploading file from desktop via web browser GUI.

Remember, it takes about 3 minutes for the firmware to upgrade. Whilst it is doing this, do not get impatient and do not touch anything. The router will reboot itself once the upgrade has completed.

Once the upgrade had completed, I re-enabled WiFi.

Personally, I won't upgrade via the Nighthawk App, but that's a personal decision because I just think it's a bad idea to firmware upgrade wirelessly.

I wasn't having any issues with firmware v.100, so let me hope that this Hotfix update doesn't give me any problems.

Message 87 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

Is it the hotfix for the whole R7000 series? Did you get an email with a link or is it just up on the site?

This is NOT it, correct? (It didn't appear to be from the release notes.)

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000P/R7000P-V1.3.1.64_10.1.36.zip

Message 88 of 196
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Message 89 of 196
JoB61
Aspirant

Trying to do a firware upgrade of 1.0.2.64.  I see many upgrades that have not been done, so assume just this one for now?

Have some instructions, but after downloading a "zip file" to my desktop, not sure now what to do. Step 6 of 7 on how to update firmware, states Unzip the downloaded file and the .exe file.  Q: How does one do this step? Step 7 says then follow onscreen instructions (which I haven't gotten to yet).

Upon further searching, looks like it's best to have device updated via Ethernat vs wireless? So if I move the device from upstairs to my computer directly with its own Ethernat cable, I need to extract the new firmware from my desktop?  How?  Then login at mywifiext (.net), click maintenance, firmware upgrade. Click browse and find file(s) you just downloaded. Click Upload.

These instructions/steps are meant for someone with high tech abilities.  I have acquired some over the years, but when it comes to updates for my Netgear devices, I am at a loss.

Please advise best way to reach out for some assistance.  Thank you in advance.

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter, WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 90 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

This is how wonderfully disjointed Netgear's information flow is. I've just literally as I type this, received the now infamous Security Advisory Notification email an hour and a half after updating to the latest 'Hotfix'.

Better late than never I suppose.

And now we have router owners attempting to upgrade their firmware, some for the very first time. Flashing firmware is actually a really easy evolution, but trying to explain it to folks who've never done it before clearly isn't.

Message 91 of 196
d3fragg3d
Tutor

As someone that has rolled back to an ancient version of firmware anyway because of massive instabilities and crashing, I am sure I am vulnerable to all sorts of issues.
Any word on a ETA for a stable firmware as well as a patch for this issue?
Message 92 of 196
chedyus
Tutor

Hello can someone help me, i don t see the remote management option on my xr300 settings (see the image), where is that option ?!?

Screenshot (4).png

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter, XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 93 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

@d3fragg3d  I think you're just going to have to trust Netgear on this one that their latest Hotfix firmware upgrade is stable.

I've never personally had any serious issues with Netgear's firmware, but my router is only 15 months old from manufacture and up until today, I'd been successfully using v.100 without any of the issues that so many users on this forum have repeatedly reported. I'm now on the latest Hotfix firmware update and ok, only two hours in, but it's working just fine.

I thought long and hard (about 10 minutes Smiley LOL) about upgrading to very latest release, so here's me keeping fingers crossed it is stable.

Message 94 of 196
AllisonBo
Aspirant

When I try to login to the http://www.routerlogin.net/ page - i need to hit "submit" for my username password three times to get in... and then it goes to this address http://www.routerlogin.net/MNU_access_setRecovery_index.htm and wants me to reset my password "Router Password Reset" and there are no options for any other tabs, pages, info

Where the heck have I ended up?

I bought this router 2 years ago, and apologies, but I can't remember if remote is turned on, so obviously I want to check and try to turn off if necessary.

Thank you.

Message 95 of 196
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Message 96 of 196
MauleGuy
Guide

All the information I have seen refers to R7000 routers and I have a R7900 X6  router running Firmware Version
V1.0.3.18_10.0.42

Since the remote access is turned off I am assuming I don't have to worry about any security issues.

Am I right or wrong?

If I am right, it then makes sense that I should wait until Netgear releases a stable version (not beta)  of the next firmware update.  At that time I am hoping my GUI interface will detect the update and it will be instatlled.   This meshugana process is making my head hurt. 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 97 of 196
kminora
Aspirant

I am having the same trouble mentioned by earlier post.  No matter how I try, I cannot log in to my admin.  I've tried from 2 different browsers, with and without ethernet cable. It seems there is a problem that we need to login to fix, but cannot log in.  As I understand, at a minimum we need to shut off remote management, but I am unable to log in to do that.  Please give more specific direction on this problem that is understandable by the average user.  

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 98 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

Meshugana...lol. From what I've read here, you should be fine until the fix is released for your model.

Message 99 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

AllisonBo,

If you didn't turn it on, it isn't on.

Message 100 of 196
Top Contributors
Announcements