Lorraineg57
Apprentice

Re: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR products

PortWey84,

Where did you find the hotfix? The only update I see on the site, doesn't seem to have anything to do with security.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 101 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

Re: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR products

DarrenM,

Thank you so much!

Message 102 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

@Lorraineg57  You have a different R7000 model router than me. I found the hotfix update on the specific model download page.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 103 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

@DarrenM  The link you pointed to on how to upgrade the firmware is to be fair, pretty bang on the nail.

The only thing I would point out is, some users have no idea about how to unzip files, and this is not explained in the notes.

As I say, upgrading firmware is actually quite straightforward, but the instructions have to be absolutely unambiguous, otherwise you'll continue to get post after post after post from folks pulling their hair out insisting they can't access their GUI or don't know how to unzip etc.

Message 104 of 196
kminora
Aspirant

Thank you.  That was helpful.  Yes it looked like the fix was not out for my router yet, but I just wanted to get in to check if my remote management was on because I remember turning it on recently to troubleshoot.  Anyway, cannot get in to my admin at all. 

Message 105 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

I'm getting a "firmware file is incorrect" while attempting to upload the .chk file.

If I do an auto "check", I get no update available.

Message 106 of 196
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

The firmware for the R7000 will not work for the R7000P but we are working on hot fixes for all the affected routers please be patient as they will be released soon. In the mean time make sure remote access is disabled on the router. 

DarrenM

Message 107 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

@Lorraineg57  From what I can deduce from the posts you have been submitting, youhave a R7000P AC2300 router.

I have just looked at the Netgear downloads page for that router and unless someone else can clarify or confirm otherwise, there isn't a hotfix update for it, so whatever it is you're trying to download and upgrade your router with, I have no idea. Well I'm assuming here that you are trying to upgrade your model router with the firmware fix for the R7000 AC1900???

If it is the R7000P AC2300 router you have, here is the link for the download page for your particular router:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.3.1.64

It would appear from the release notes, that the last time there was any form of update for that model of router, was in June of 2019.

Message 108 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

@Jennpage89 @Agena 

Have you tried the Admin, password combo for username and password? (Admin for username, password for password).

Also, if you have ever logged in to your router before,, you may very well have the credentials saved on the mobile version of whatever browser you used. On Firefox, you can find passwords by clicking the 3 dots upper right hand of any page>tools>login and search for netgear. Edge, the three dots in the lower part of any web page>settings>save passwords.

If you've not changed the password, then the admin, password combo should work.

Message 109 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

@DarrenM 

@Portwey84 

That explains it then! Thanks.

Message 110 of 196
Spatz_downunder
Aspirant

I have the R8000 X6 AC3200 Tri Band and like many on here, have no idea whether or not access to router remotely is enabled or not!  Instructions please. 

Also, before jumping on this community, as per your security email alert, ran a serach for latest firmware [which I don't believe you have a fix yet] so then proceeded to follow your [2nd] step 'Until a hotfix/firmware available' etc yet that lead nowhere too!  Again, like many on here, I too could not get beyond "You may not be connected to your routers wifi network" even though I am. 

Surely there's an easier way of addresing these issues. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 111 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

@Spatz_downunder  The general advice from Netgear Admin appears to be, that if you never enabled Remote Management within the router GUI, then you have nothing to worry about because the default position, is off. But of course the advice also appears to be, check anyway?.....or am I reading too much into this?

Unfortunately, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that can see this, the unintended consequence of raising this entire thread to inform users of 'vulnerabilities' as well as strongly recommending Remote Management is turned off when the default position is off anyway, has stirred a hornets nest.

And then you have users complaining they can't access the router GUI using routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com. Neither can I, I've never been able to log into my router GUI using that address, only 192.168.1.1 will work for me.

Message 112 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

@Portwey84 ,

That was my understanding as well. OFF is the default setting. Hence, my post to all those people driving themselves nuts bc they've never accessed the settings before and are having a hard time with it. If you've never accessed those settings before, your remote access is already OFF so you really don't need to drive yourself nuts trying to access the settings!

routerlogin.net worked for me btw

Message 113 of 196
laurievanroekel
Aspirant

I kep trying to type in my admin and password to turn of Remote Management but cannot. It just goes blank. How do I know if I am making a mistake? Is my admin my email address?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 114 of 196
jacdan8502
Aspirant

i was simply re-add the instructions. I fully understand how to fix my issue. ( i dont have one) remote mangment is OFF and i am applying the hotfix. My education is networking so this is easy stuff for me 

Message 115 of 196
Tomdatt
Aspirant

Can not make “www.routerlogin.net” then asking install nighthawk app, that does nog make any sense to ex6120.
Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 116 of 196
CoryW
Aspirant

Question on: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR products

I am using the Nighthawk APP.  But I tried to follow the instructions in the email to check the remote access setting in the web GUI.  In the Advanced Setup tab, I had no option to click on Remote Access, but I did click on Web Services Mangaement tab, and there was nothng in there to check the status of remote management.  I tried to speak to a live technician but I wasn't put through.  I'd really like to know if there is something further I can do to check on the status of remote management for my router.  Thanks.

Model: RS400|Nigthhawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router
Message 117 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

Re: Question on: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR products

This is what you are looking for. As expected, mine was unchecked by default.

netgear_LI.jpg

Message 118 of 196
mabiduk
Tutor

Re: UPDATED 6/23/20: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR produ

I have ran the firmware update. However, now can not connect to my router. Used default and my own log in details. Nothing!

Surely you can do better than this NetGear?
Message 119 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

Re: UPDATED 6/23/20: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR produ

@mabiduk  I realise this might not be a popular position to take, but how is this Netgear's fault? I downloaded the firmware hotfix, applied it and it works perfectly. I'm not a Netgear fanboy by the way, I'm just trying to keep some perspective on this. You've not really provided much information on what you think has actually gone wrong during the firmware upgrade process. I'm not trying to sound condescending, I'm genuinely trying to understand why all of a sudden you seemingly can't log into your router anymore. Are you able to shed any light at all on how you carried out the firmware upgrade?

Besides, Netgear staff from what I've read, don't even look at this forum. It's a community forum, so complaints probably won't attract any attention anyway.

Message 120 of 196
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

@mabiduk You may need to do a factory reset if you can no longer access the router after updating the firmware something could of went wrong when you were updating . https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

@Portwey84  Yes Netgear does monitor and participate in the community.

DarrenM

Message 121 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

What happens when you attempt to connect?
Not sure if you are saying you unable to connect to the router through the web interface or that your computer doesn't find your network?
Message 122 of 196
mabiduk
Tutor

I did a factory reset.

Also shut everything down and restarted everything one at a time, starting with the modem, router and pc. Still the usual lights are not flickering away. I’ve uninstalled the network adaptor driver and reinstalled it again. Followed all instructions I can to reconfigure the IP address.

None of the wifi lights are on the router. Just the power on intermittent white and 2 Ethernet connected devices.
Message 123 of 196
mabiduk
Tutor

Apologies, newbie to IT beyond MS Word.

It is connecting to the router but not connecting to the internet. I have tried other devices and internet is working fine. I am trying to connect via Ethernet as it will not allow me to connect using wifi. In fact, wifi lights are ok off on the router.

The only lights on are an intermittent white power light, and 2 devices that are connected using Ethernet cables (PC & Printer)
Message 124 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

NP, I feel your pain....I'm semi-techie and not afraid to attempt anything which sometimes works out well...sometimes not so much...lol.

Not sure how your other devices are utilizing the internet if your router is not working? 

Have you tried resetting?

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 125 of 196
Top Contributors
Announcements