Tex-Hogger
Star

Re: UPDATED 6/26/20: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR produ

If anyone has a R8000, I suggest not to update to either the 1.0.4.56-Hotfix or the 1.0.4.52 firmware versions.  Both are unstable, and will only run for about 24-30 hours before it all starts to lock up. 

I highly suggest you downgrade to 1.0.4.46. Make sure to turn off, uncheck, remote management. (Its in Advanced tab, Advanced Setup, Web Services Managment). 

Also make sure you have the Router Firmware Auto Update set to disabled.  (Its in the Advanced tab, Admistraion drop down, Router Update page).  Then disreguard the "A router firmware upgrade is avaible" flag at the top of the page.

I spent the last 2 weeks dealing with mine locking up after a day or so, and having to power down, and rebooting just to use the network. 

I have been useing 1.0.4.46 since it came out back in Sept. 2019 and have had verry little issues with it.  I may have to power down, reboot once a month.

Tex-Hogger

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 176 of 196
rbalzum
Aspirant

Re: UPDATED 6/26/20: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR produ

Updated.  After updating it became so unstable (locking up-both WiFi and Ethernet) I was having to reboot several times per day.🤬

Applied hotfix that was released several days later....now I only have to reboot daily.🙄

The last several versions of firmware have definitely not been up to snuff.  I have tried contacting support and every time I get hung up on while waiting in queue.

This is only 10 months old and I am done with Netgear products....you used to make a quality device that was dependable....it appears not so anymore.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 177 of 196
Portwey84
Luminary

@schumaku @ChristineT @DarrenM 

Downloaded and using latest v.106 firmware and just like the previous versions I've been using since v.64, no issues, everything all good and stable.

I find it incredibly odd that so many users still reporting problems with Netgear firmware. Why seemingly so many in the USA and not the UK? or is it because not many R7000 users in the UK bother reporting issues? who knows? All I know is, I'm not having nor have I had any day to day issues, so is this whole problem a country specific issue?

Bitdefender Home Scanner is still reporting my R7000 router as 'High risk' in terms of vulnerability even after the latest firmware update. Bitdefender reports that the router HTTP uses insecure authentication procedure. Every other device connected to my router  is ok (apart from a single Humax ip camera, which no longer appears to get any firmware updates). So what is wrong with the security aspect of the R7000 for Bitdefender to always report it as 'High risk'? I wonder, as Bitdefender is apparently included as part of Netgear Armor, would Bitdefender Home Scanner still report the same issue? I don't know the answer to that one as I'm not subscribed to Netgear Armor, I am however subscribed to Bitdefender Total Security.

Is there still a flaw in the firmware security? or is Bitdefender Home Scanner not reporting correctly?

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 178 of 196
dabarlow
Initiate

According to https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/30/netgear_abandons_45_routers_vuln_patching/ youi've quietly removed support for my WNDR4500 router due to this security advisory. That is most unprofessional. Can you please change this decision?

Thanks,

David,

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 179 of 196
schumaku
Guru

@Portwey84 wrote:

Why seemingly so many in the USA and not the UK? ..., so is this whole problem a country specific issue?

Possible differences in the different markets are e.g. the different requirements by the ISPs. Overseas crappy encapsulation with authentication on the WAN ports is a de-facto standard, in Europe providers coming in with Ethernet/Fiber offer plain TCP/IP (except of some xDSL links...). Yes, this is part of the source of several issues...

@Portwey84 wrote:

Bitdefender Home Scanner is still reporting my R7000 router as 'High risk' in terms of vulnerability even after the latest firmware update. Bitdefender reports that the router HTTP uses insecure authentication procedure.

There is a major difference between vulnerabilities and policies. In most home and SOHO networks, http is reasonable secure to manage a device - especially when considering that most vendors struggle to provide correct working https solutions... 

@Portwey84 wrote:

Is there still a flaw in the firmware security? or is Bitdefender Home Scanner not reporting correctly?

That's not a security flaw with any vulnerable code - it's part of the design where many embedded software makers are still offering http only. Why? Well, the effort for a correct working https is much higher - and considering that most home and SOHO users don't run local DNS with own local domains can _never_ properly configure a https server with an own certificate showing a "lock" sign in the browser header at least. What appears simple and obvious on domains in the Internet (say the https://community.netgear.com/ host for example) is a target not reachable at home... How real is the "risk" that there is a device on your LAN which is able to "sniff" the plain text username and password on http? And no, wireless is encrypted hopefully. Ah yeah, physical security can't be checked by these security scanners ... or why do you think data centers are high security zones,  communication racks are locked and secured in corporate IT?

Message 180 of 196
Squuiid
Luminary

Netgear, still nothing for the R7800?

This model is still very much current (and being widely sold) yet it hasn't been updated since last year which is frankly pathetic.

There are many security issues with the current firmware yet they remain unpatched leaving your customers at risk.

Message 181 of 196
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: UPDATED 6/26/20: Important Security Advisory Notification: Information on affected NETGEAR pr...

The R7800 was not apart of the security advisory so it would not have a hotfix.

DarrenM

Message 182 of 196
Weejay
Aspirant

I have updated to latest firmware and have lost the second 5g channel as well as service quality on the first channel. General stability has been affected.

How do I back out of this update.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 183 of 196
Weejay
Aspirant

Change of model in this post to R8000 tri-band. Sorry
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 184 of 196
mmd2006
Tutor

I too received the security notice and attempted to update firmware via the Nighthawk app. It said I was up to date. I checked the support web page and it says my version is vulnerable and there is an update. Why is the app not finding the new version? Do I need to download the latest version of firmware and manually update?
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 185 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

I also got the up to date response when I checked. I just downloaded the update and installed it manually. It installed fine and I didn't get an error stating I was already up to date.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 186 of 196
mmd2006
Tutor

Thanks, Lorraineg57.  I have updated manually without issue previously and my post was more to ask about the lack of support on the Nighthawk app.  It seems to take Netgear forever to get their systems updated. 

However, based on my review of the many posts on this thread, it seems prudent to wait a little while longer to allow the update to be verified as stable since I don't have Remote Management turned on.  Updates are obviously specific to the model number and I don't recall any replies saying successful update with my model, R7900P.

Message 187 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

Gotcha. I thought it was odd that when I tried to do the search for update, it said I was up to date. However, when I went to the page for my specific router on netgear.com, it showed an update. Wonder why that is....Oh well, without incident thus far so.....Good luck!

Message 188 of 196
mmd2006
Tutor

@MauleGuy  and @schumaku 

Thanks for the summary for us less tech savvy home users. 

When I read the ZDIs referenced they refer to "network-adjacent attackers" which I assume means somebody within my home network and not in my ISP's world and beyond.  If I am correct, then so far so good.  Sounds like not an issue since I virus scan, etc.  However, we all download stuff via Https and Httpd frequently.  Does this downloading to my local pc/laptop/phone/etc (before or during connection to my LAN) make my router vulnerable? 

As noted before, I have always had Remote Management off (default) which Netgear says at least reduces the issue.  However, I do have UPnP on and I am not sure about the other vulnerabilities (string tables???).

I also have not seen where other R7900P users have reported downloading the udate so I can't judge its stability.

Message 189 of 196
MauleGuy
Guide

This may or may not help people.  Here is a list from the Netgear support site listing the routers affected by this vulerability.  

https://kb.netgear.com/000061982/Security-Advisory-for-Multiple-Vulnerabilities-on-Some-Routers-Mobi...

When looking up my Router R7900 I find that the affected Firmware version listed  is  v1.0.3.18 and the next column states "Production release available" 

I found when I logged to my Router via a browser (instructions in earlier thread)  connected via ethernet that there was a production version available to update.  I did so with out a glitch and now have the following.

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.26_10.0.47

My assumption is that this is a tested "production release" that solves the issues we have been warned about. 

For those who have a router with "Production Release Available" try upgrading by Ethernet if possible. 

Login to router, go to Advanced: Administration, Router update.  Top of the list is check for update.  If you are told there is no update available, then there probably is not a "Production Version Available" and you are going to update, you will need to use the beta version htofix appropriate to your router.  

I am not sure how WiFi works updating a WiFi router...seems to me like a circular reasoning type of thing.

Fair warning this is all done on a R7900 router, Windows 10 64, connected with ethernet cable, and latest Chrome Browser. 

Good luck all.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 190 of 196
Slazare
Tutor

I received the notice about new firmware. I tried to update per the instructions through my app, but it says “no new firmware available”?? Please let me know what to do
Message 191 of 196
mmd2006
Tutor

@Slazare 

Please note that @Lorraineg57 has the same router model as you and has installed the latest update successfully.  Mine is different.  We both get the same failure of the app as you (no update available) but found the appropriate updates (one for him and another for me) on the Netgear website.  Other posts on this thread tell you how to find it.  We each downloaded the appropriate zip file. 

(Please forgive the following if too rudimentary.  Other posters have seemed to have problems unzipping a file.)  For Win10 it should automatically go to your downloads directory.  Open File Explorer (used to be File Manager in the old days), select the Downloads directory and double click on the downloaded zip file.  It should show the two files, one being a .chk file.  (At least that is what my version of Win10 does.  Can't recall if I downloaded another add-in to handle zip files but my guess is that Win10 will treat zip files as a directory straight out of the box.)  Grab that .chk file and drop it on your desktop,  That file type is not one which Windows knows how to open (not an executable file) so you can't just double click it.  ( I can get into why it is a bad idea to use that file extension on a Windows machine, but that is for a later time.)

Open the router GUI (I think it stands for graphical user interface but I am 65yrs old and can't remember that far back.) by typing 192.168.1.1 in your browser (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, etc) command line.  When you hit enter it will pop up a login where you can enter your router (NOT wifi) user name and password.  I am sure you changed from the default "admin/password" long ago.  

I don't know if your GUI is the same as mine since we have different router models.  Howver, mine has both Basic and Advanced tabs.  Under the Advanced tab is a drop-down called Administration and when I click it I can see Router Update.  The Router Update page also has a button to check for a new update.  It doesn't work either.  Fortunately, it does have a file box with a Browse button which you can click and go to your desktop to find the .chk file you just dropped.  Once that .chk file name is in the box, you can then hit Upload and go read a real book for a little while since your wifi will be down until it reboots and everythng comes back up.

Hopefully, your router will be just fine like @Lorraineg57's.  Due to mine being a different model, I will wait until somebody else proves it out. 

Message 192 of 196
joejoeinc
Apprentice

Tagging my info into this thread. 

I use an R7000P and found the router auto update feature did not find the latest security update at all. I only found this thread as I started seeing random router lockups and found the advice to disable web admin and update the firmware manually. 

I've created a new thread for the lock up issues 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000P-Locking-up-randomly/m-p/1961310#M1661...

Message 193 of 196
Lorraineg57
Apprentice

netgear.PNG

Yes! The main point here being that if you just do the "check for update" after going to Advanced>admin> router update, you will NOT find the update. You have to go to the netgear.com site, plug in your model number and you will see the file. Download, unzip. Upload the CHK file on the router update page using browse page.

Here's a link to download the file: FOR R7000P ONLY obviously

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.3.2.124

Message 194 of 196
mmd2006
Tutor

Has anybody installed the latest firmware update to a R7900P router, version V1.4.1.62 ??  I would like to know if anybody has expereinced issues with it.

Message 195 of 196
Donelson88
Aspirant

When will you have a fix to keep 2.4 stable after the latest firmware update 2.4 has to be rebooted daily sometimes multiple times per day getting frustrated the thing is only about 4 months old
Message 196 of 196
Top Contributors
Announcements